As most of you know, I’ve been back in college for a long time now. I’ll finally be graduating in May with that associates degree that has was 32 years in the making.
But that’s over. No more. By gawd I did it!!
I may even consider taking a few additional classes that I had wanted to take (more management classes, a business class or two, a few more jewelry classes, etc). I may even decide to go to the university to get my bachelors. Notice I said MAY. I’m taking time off before I commit to that! LOL. And then it wouldn’t be full time like I’m doing now.
I admit this last year has been hard for me. I’m burning out. I need a break. Honestly had it not been for my dad pushing me and rooting me on, I don’t know that I’d have not taken a year off (and we know how that goes, take time off and it never gets done). I’m grateful, too, that Dad’s health hasn’t given out totally and he’ll be able to attend commencements.
So, what next? Well that’s funny. I am a business management major. I should be going into the business management field, right?
Nope.
I was offered a job as a security officer. You bet your sweet a$$ I took it, too! Michigan’s job market isn’t such that one should pass up any opportunity that comes your way. And what an opportunity this is. Okay, so it’s not my chosen field. I can live with that. Really. I start April 5. I’m geeked.
I’ve survived on child support, government food benefits and occasional earnings from Elsie’s Attic for too long. That’s under $500 a month (not including EA income) for food, bills, meds, gasoline and anything else I may need. Lots and lots of sacrifices, but I never had to sacrifice my internet. LOL! I’ve gotten real good at squeezing a penny until Ol’ Abe cries out in pain!
To now go to a job that, in less than a week will pay what I used to get in a month, is actually a little on the overwhelming side for me. What will I do with all that money? LOL … besides pay bills, not a damned thing. Save. Save. Save. Yeah, there’s things I want. But not that bad that they can’t stay on my wish list a while longer.
I’ve lived below the federal poverty level for too long. I’ve cried myself to sleep too many nights worrying if I’ll have money by the end of the month to keep the lights on or be able to buy groceries when the cupboards were bare. I’ve lived five months with NO gas to heat my home (or the water). I won’t ever experience that again.
And yes, I’ll keep Elsie’s Attic going. The thought of extra income is always welcome. I’ll be graduating finally from catalog sales to eBay. And I’ll have time, too, to really work on Elsie’s Attic. The security job will afford me a lot of free time (at work no less) to pursue other interests, too. Gotta love a job that allows you – encourages you – to bring other activities with you while you’re on the clock.
Who knows, maybe I can even get in some Multiply blog time? LOL … “Blogs From the Field” as I’m guarding whatever they assign me to guard. Talk about excitement, eh? Could ya all handle so much excitement? LOL.
So … what else is going on in Lisa’s world these days besides that soon to be associates degree and a killer (not literally) new job?
Let’s see … the kids and grands are doing well. Grandson and Butterball are both growing way too fast. Grandson will be 5 in May and will be starting kindergarten in the fall. My goodness! Where has that time gone? Butterball is already seventeen pounds – at three months old. Butterball was the right name for that boy, I tell ya!
My folks are okay. We’ve been having issues with my dad and congestive heart failure. He just had a stint put in his left ventricle earlier this week. He’s home from the hospital. I babysat Dad yesterday so Mom could run some errands. He’s looking so much better than he has in the past few months. What a way for Mom to spend her 80th birthday, running errands. LOL. She even brought carry-out dinner home. Mac and cheese from a local restaurant, a tub of the Colonial’s fried chicken, and a few other goodies. Yum!
My brother stopped by their condo early yesterday morning and left Mom a beautiful bouquet and a box of chocolates for her birthday. Mom made me promise to eat them all by the time she got home from her errands – save her from the evil chocolates. Geesh. There wasn’t much damage I could do to the pound and a half box Brother Deere left there.
I just realized … next year I’ll be able to actually afford to be able to do something special for Mom for her birthday … and for Daddy’s birthday this July. And holidays … damn, it’s been a long time since I’ve been able to actually spend money on my family for a holiday.
And a vacation … a real vacation. That’s definitely on my must-do list!! I wonder where I’ll go?
Yup, new beginnings. Ain’t they great?

*looks around innocently* Nudge nudge
ReplyDeleteFirst off - congratulations on getting your degree - I know it was a lot of hard work. One of the things about having a college education is that no matter what field it is in, it shows employers that you have the desire and the ability to learn new things. That sets you apart from the rest particularly in a difficult job market. Management skills are useful in many different professions. If you find that you enjoy working in security - there's certainly management opportunities there once you have your foot in the door.
ReplyDeleteSo congratulations - you have the right attitude for sure. It sounds like the direction you are heading is a good one...
Phil, did ya have to nudge so hard? That's gonna leave a bruise!
ReplyDeleteFunny thing is, I was in Chi a year and a half ago. While we had a wonderful time, we just didn't get to see everything we had wanted to see ... so a return trip is definitely in order. Of course, we'll look ya up. May even meet ya face to face IF you promise to keep your nudging to yourself! LOL.
No problem and I can take you to get a REAL pizza and you can sample one of our namesake italian beef sandwiches.
ReplyDeleteEm, thanks. You're right, there's management ops in just about every field. I think I'm gonna like working security. I did a little bit of it unofficially for a few of the jobs I've had. And I did some loss prevention stuff, too. And with my son having been a security officer before he became a cop ... well, I know what to expect and I'm really looking forward to this new career.
ReplyDeletePhil, I'll take ya up on that. So ... I guess I better pack the Tums 'cause Chi is gonna be my first real vacation. It'll be about a year before I earn a week off. You're gonna have to wait for me my friend. Hehehehe
ReplyDeleteI'll be here...don't worry
ReplyDeletewow....so much going on for you...but i'm so happy for you! gonna make my plans to take you out for on a post-graduation port huron visit and supper a bit harder...but we'll work that out!
ReplyDeleteAmy ... port huron, eh? Now that's a deal I sure can't pass up. I'll have some free time, LOL, once I graduate. And I doubt the new boss'll have me working 7 days a week (yipes!) ... maybe I can schedule a day off for a PH picnic supper and riverside ship watching (my gawd, that sounds so Hyacinth Bucket doesn't it?)
ReplyDeleteOnly just catching up with your blog, I am so pleased for you!! I know what it's like to live on benefits and I am happy that I have a job now that pays the bills - it took me a long while but achieving it on your own means such a lot :)
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your degree too, the hard work paid off!! Good Luck with the job xx
Congratulations on the degree all your hard work and the job =)
ReplyDeleteYayy Lisa!
I'm coming back next year Lisa.. Chicago and hey maybe you could make it to vegas or somewhere else on my way round.. Marks coming this time. I loved Chicago though thats a def stop again.
Hugs xxxxx
ReplyDeleteHelen Jo, thanks!! I'm so geeked about this new stage of my life. I've been teasing everybody ... life really DOES begin at 50. Forty sucked for me ...
ReplyDeleteHelen Jane, Yay!! I'll be counting down the days once you tell me the date you'll be in the States. We will have a tourguide of sorts this time, someone who is very familiar with Chi and can lead us right to the authentic Chicago Pizzerias! I can't wait. Remind me, there's a store I wanna check out, American Girl Store. Poor Mark ... being dragged through a doll store. Hehehe ...
ReplyDelete