Been a crazy week here.
On Father's Day Alien came over to take the two girl cats Shimera and Rajah. She has dogs at her house, but assured me the one dog that would have been a threat to the cats was strictly an outdoor dog. The other dog, an indoor dog was raised around cats for the first few years of her life (she's 7 now) and would not be a problem. So ... I let Alien adopt the two girl cats. We would keep the male, Spot, as our pet. I guess all began well. Shimmey went into hiding somewhere in the house. Rajah was curious and looked around at her new house. The one dog was fine with a cat around (the indoor dog) and just laid there watching Rajah. For some reason, Alien had to leave the house ... of course the bf went with her, he never leaves her side. Anyway ... someone forgot to check that the doggy door was bolted. They came back to find the outdoor dog indoors, with Rajah dead at it's feet. After finding Shimmey unharmed, they brought her back to me. She's traumatized badly. Jumpy as hell a few days later. Even Spot has been looking for his sister. The dog has been taken to the Humane Society I hear. They just can't keep that animal around ... his whole reason for being put outside in the first place was to keep it away from the baby. I guess the dog had nipped a few times at Butterball. This was the last straw for them.
So now I have two depressed kitties. Spot won't leave my lap. To the point that he tries to climb my legs if I'm standing. Wearing shorts is out for now, at least until they adapt to Rajah being gone. Even wearing blue jeans hasn't protected my legs, I look like I've been in a battle myself!! Shimera comes out of hiding only long enough to eat (at least she's eating), and use the box. Otherwise, Single Son and I rarely see her. And when we do, she won't let us approach her. I've been sitting on the kitchen floor a few feet from her while she eats, hoping that I can coax her into being petted.
What's odd, though, is that the earthquake we felt today - neither of the cats reacted. Spot was sleeping on the dining room chair next to me, and never budged. And here I had heard all animals react in some way to earthquakes, even minor tremors like we felt here.
Then again, the quake as I felt it was a gentle vibrating of the kitchen table, where I use my laptop. I live near an international airport, right under the flight path of incoming airplanes. It felt more like the vibration we get when a jet is approaching the runway. I didn't hear a jet sound, but then, after 16 years of living here jets are a part of our lives. We rarely notice anymore.
Mom didn't want me to come over today. She said she's feeling better and would handle the shopping herself this week. Since I'd been combining my shopping with hers, now I have to still motivate to get out of the house and get my grocery shopping done. And with storms possible tonight, maybe I really need to motivate, eh?
I still need to find a park we can picnic in for our annual Star Trek picnic. It's proving to be a bigger challenge than I thought to find a park convenient to the majority of our members. I'm probably going to have to do the Port Huron park as was originally planned. It's not convenient to any members but one who lives in Port Huron, but it seems to be about our only option. Ah well ... what to do, what to do?
There was something else I wanted to blog. Do you think for the life of me I can think of it now? Of course not!!
Other than that, not a lot going on 'round these parts.
Hope ya'll are well ...

awww...poor cats. :(
ReplyDeleteAgree - poor cats. Crazy dog, thank goodness it wasn't the baby. My dog is really easy going but she gets panicky when my Grandson is here - I think he just moves too fast at her level - she loves him but 'at a distance' xx
ReplyDeleteYou're right ... as bad as I feel about losing Rajah, it could have been my grandson ... the whole reason the dog became an outside dog to begin with was because of it's unpredictability around Butterball! And if he was such a threat with a six month old, I cannot imagine what would have happened once Butterball started crawling or walking. Scary.
ReplyDeleteI'm still sad about losing Raj, she was a great kitty ... Shimmey and Spot are finally adapting to her being gone.