KUA

KUA

5/8/09

Front Page News!!

Yup, we made the paper. Front page, no less! How cool is that?
Okay, so I'm not going to go thru the article and change names to protect the guilty. But I'll leave it up to you to figure out who's who (shouldn't be too hard, really). And check out on the bottom, the FYI - that's OUR fan club!!

The Oakland Press (theoaklandpress.com), Serving Oakland County

Entertainment
Fans make ‘Trek’ to movie theaters

Friday, May 8, 2009

By CAROL HOPKINS
Of The Oakland Press

Joe Sare planned to leave his volunteer post at the “Star Trek” exhibit in Detroit on Thursday to see the new movie.

“I’ve always had the personality of a leader so I want to see how they portray Spock and Kirk,” said the Waterford Township resident, referring to the most famous of the characters from the original 1960s TV show. “I’m really excited.”

Sare isn’t alone in this particular universe.

Around the nation, thousands of fans of “Star Trek” and its many incarnations will pack theaters to see the new film, which debuts today.


The movie — which explores the lives of the original main characters when they were young — promises plenty of action. David Germain, Associate Press movie writer, wrote that “J.J. Abrams’ ‘Star Trek’ is the wildest makeover ever to Gene Roddenberry’s vision of a future where humans have overcome their own squabbles and set out to make new enemies among the stars.”

Sare, a 29-year-old police officer in Lake Orion, was first introduced to the series by his parents.

“My dad was always a big ‘Star Trek’ fan,” said Sare, who started watching shows in the late 1980s.

“At family gatherings, we’d sit and watch ‘Star Trek: The Next Generation.’ ”

In high school, he joined a fan club based in Dearborn. His favorite characters were Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, played by Patrick Stewart, and Data, an android played by Brent Spiner. In 2001, he and friends began their own “Star Trek” fan club called the USS Sinclair, named for the street where they met. Today, the 55-member group meets 10 times a year, said Sare, who is the group’s commanding officer.

Another “Star Trek” fan, Lisa McDonald of Waterford, plans to go to the new film on Saturday.

“I’m pretty excited about it,” said McDonald, who is also a member of the USS Sinclair group and a fan of the 1960s TV show. “I’ll be seeing it at an IMAX for the first time.”

Friends in the club call McDonald a “Ferengi” — aliens considered to be the galaxy's most successful entrepreneurs — because she is studying business at college. She isn’t shy about telling people she is a Trekkie.

“It opens a lot of conversations,” said McDonald, who admitted she is “nearing 50.”

“At college, the young kids ribbed me all semester. But nobody’s shunned me. It’s their loss if they don’t want to get to know the crazy Trekkie.”

Diane Frkan, a science fiction film reviewer who participates in the ConFusion convention in Troy each year, planned to see the new movie Thursday.

“I was a little resistant at first but I started hearing the buzz and it became more appealing,” said Frkan, a program coordinator.

“I hope it’s not just one big action flick, though. I want them to explore the characters’ backgrounds.”

Mike Lester, who runs the comic book and science fiction store Time Travelers in Berkley will be in the movie audience tonight.

“With all the high-tech movies out there — ‘Terminator Salvation,’ ‘X-Men Origins: Wolverine,’ ‘G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra’ — coming out or about to come out, the one I see with the greatest enthusiasm by far is ‘Star Trek.’ ”

Sare has been volunteering at the Detroit Science Center’s Star Trek exhibit monthly since it opened in February.

He wears the red uniform worn by command staff on “The Next Generation” series. If people have questions about the show or exhibits, he has answers.

“Any time you have a chance to talk about your favorite hobby is a lot of fun,” he said.

The allure, he said, is in the details.

“I like the technical aspects and the storylines,” he said. “They teach you lessons in life.”

FYI -- To learn more about the local “Star Trek” fan club, the USS Sinclair, visit www.usssinclair.org

URL:
http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2009/05/08/entertainment/doc4a03f66094c4c527495889.prt

© 2009 theoaklandpress.com, a Journal Register Property

************************
and then there's this video from the Detroit Free Press (sorry, can't embed it into my blog) ... http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=videonetwork&videoID=1117521094

11 comments:

  1. That is SO COOL!!! So, was there a picture???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, no picture thankfully!! Whew!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The link to the paper never opened on my computer...I think my puter is just running too slow today!

    Such a cool article, though! YOU'RE FAMOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. Not as famous as Single Son!!

    I had problems opening that link, too, at first. Seems by switching from Firefox over to IE it worked just fine for me. Don't know if you wanna spend so much time farting around for a 53 second spot, only the first five seconds or so have Single Son in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool...so I'm guessing Joe is your son?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kitty, LOL, yup. That's my boy ... my son. LMAO ... he's a little to old (I think) for me to be calling him my boy.

    I think he's a little mad at me right now. I keep answering the phone!! Last call was from a local radio news station, they want him to do the movie review tomorrow for their station. He was hesitant, but she talked a good talk and he agreed finally. So I'll be up bright and early to listen to him. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow your infamous.. hehe famous I mean LOL
    How cool first page news!

    We should prolly get your autographs now huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helen, LOL! Not my autograph, it's not worth a thing! But for a nominal fee I'm sure you could get Single Son's autograph!! Oh wait ... the only things he autographs are those tickets he issues (or arrest paperwork). You sure you want his autograph? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey as long as my name isnt on it sure LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! Helen!! But what's an autograph if your name doesn't appear on it?

    ReplyDelete