Went out to lunch with Mom today. Girls day out. We had a good time.
I think Mom thought I was a little off my rocker when I was telling her about the big upcoming weekend at the DSO and meeting George Takei (he's agreed to a meet and greet and photo session). And when I told her there would be about a hundred of us running around in either Star Trek or Star Wars costume, "fighting" with our fake laser guns and swords in a crowd of concert-goers ... well, let's just say that she now knows I'm certifiable. All she said was "it's so nice you and your friends get to play like that".
She was telling me that her accountant is suggesting they give me the house, that selling it will end up with large negative profits and much higher taxes. That they'd do better with the write off than continuing to own it. The only problem is, I don't think I could keep up with insurance, property taxes or other miscellaneous expenses that would arise. I'd need one hell of a paying job (or a room-mate willing to pay half the expenses) to make this work. Forget that I want to move, that this neighborhood has been going downhill for years now .. and that in all honesty, I prefer to be a tenant, and not a home owner.
So, we'll see what happens with this.
*****
After we ate and were back in her van I handed over the cash that I owed Mom. You know, that 28% I'd set aside for her. She told me to keep it - that I showed I was going to pay her back and that's all she needed was to know I was good on paying her back - not that she would accept repayment.
So, there's an extra bit of cash in my hands now. Not that I have any plans on spending it any time soon, LOL, I don't. I hate spending money ... I'll go weeks contemplating a purchase (do I really need this or not) and then I end up not being able to justify the purchase. A far cry from the days when any amount of change would burn a hole in my pocket.
Although, there IS that sewing machine that my mind keeps wandering back to!
*****
We went to a little discount store near the restaurant. Family Dollar. Mom thought it was a dollar store and was rather shocked when she found out that they aren't!! She discovered some rather cute pictures and had a hard time talking herself out of buying them. To the point she was actually arguing aloud with herself. And she calls me certifiable? Running around in my Star Trek TOS uniform ... here she's arguing with herself. It was a hoot, actually. And no, she didn't buy the pictures.
Somehow we got talking about decorating. I told her I'm falling head over heels for Mid Century Modern (MCM) decor. A far cry from the Early American I grew up in, or the casual country my home is currently decorated in. Mom said she has boxes of MCM "crap" in storage in her basement (from early on in their marriage), and I'm welcome to everything I want. Ruh roh!! That could spell trouble. LOL. She will, however, continue to store it until I'm ready for it. Yay!!
I just think she's relieved that someone wants that stuff. That it won't end up in the trash, as Brother Deere is threatening to do with all of their possessions once they pass away. Yes, he's made it known to Mom that he will hold the biggest "junk sale" that town has ever seen. It's up to me to save the family heirlooms!!
I did ask if I could take her extra sewing machine. It's lighter than her "good" sewing machine, so she is still using it. Drats. And taking the good one is out of the question for now ... especially with the Wrecking Crew still being here. So, I guess I take some of that money she refused to take, and go buy the craft sewing machine I keep thinking about.
And, Mom says she'll see it when she believes it about the wrecking crew moving out. I tend to agree, but dammit, they gotta GO.
*****
And, no, I'm not gonna blog about the Wrecking Crew again today. Mood is still good ... and I'm not gonna spoil it!!

Well, you ★are★ crazy, but so are we so it's okay...it's. Why we love you!
ReplyDeleteI'd say take the house and sell, but you'd still have the problems you mentioned. And I know Michigan's economy blows. So...maybe not taking it is the right idea.
Its awesome she has the decor you like. Maybe you can slowly help her clean.out her storage of it whole changing your current decor and Craigslisting it?
The best thing about my birthday this week and anniversary next week is any late deliveries from my recent Amazon order I can pretend is an anniversary present, since it's house stuff. Next for me is decorating, too. I think I'm going for shabby chic cottage. Help keep an eye out for ideas!
Btw, if you like ruebens (our family could live on them), then hot rueben dip is to die for. Reheats well, too.
ReplyDeleteLOL ... thanks! Love you, too!!
ReplyDeleteYup, Michigan's economy blows!! Barky Dog's house is still sitting vacant and has had only one person even come look at it. Then again, the pictures I've seen of it, I sure wouldn't go out of my way to check it out - hideous deep blue paint in kitchen and lime green and deep blue in one of the kids rooms, for starters ... then there's those trees that are growing half a foot away from the foundation. I realize walls can be painted, but with so many houses listed already in "move in" condition, why would someone want to do all that work if they can avoid it? Oh, and it's a short sale, not a lot of people want to deal with short sales. But yeah ... it's too much for me to deal with - home ownership - especially under the circumstances. I'd rather just move into another rental (in a neighborhood that's not dying) and be done with it.
Isn't it awesome? But then again ... Mom goes through these phases. MCM was one of the first decorating phases. Next, and the longest, was Early American. Back in the 70s our house was even photographed and a nice article written about it in the style section of the local newspaper. She went through a country phase, and now has pretty much settled on a more elegant Victorian decor. It's pretty, but a little too "stuffy" for me. It's amazing to me she's kept some of the MCM stuff (mostly kitchenware and a few assorted decorating accessories), she gets rid of most stuff once she's done with it.
I have seen a lot of shabby chic ideas on pinterest. I'll have to start pinning 'em for you.
Ruebens? I LOVE 'EM!!! I think I have that recipe pinned. I'll have to get the ingredients!! I'm cravin' ruebens lately!!
Oh yeah ... if you want to see pictures of my mom's house, just check out my album for the birthday party for Alien's sons back in January. It was held at Mom's house. Lots of her "crap" in the background! LOL!
ReplyDeleteHave fun tonight! Saw a YouTube video of Takei doing a happy dance and thought of you
ReplyDelete