So ... let's see ... my week ...
Wednesday was Alien's 17th birthday. What a day! We were going to go to Rain Forest Cafe for her birthday dinner. My mom had given her $25 to pick out her own present with. She decides she wants a hoodie she had seen in the Maul when she and Married Son were there earlier this month. Only, she didn't know the name of the store! So ... we start looking for the store. Our starting point was a store call Bass Pro Shop. We walked the entire 1.2 mile length of the Maul (Great Lakes Crossing for you who know where I'm talking). It's a HUGE Maul ... anyway ... we walked the entire length of the darned maul before we found the store we were looking for. Four stores away from our starting point. Only we went in the wrong direction. She found her hoodie and she bought it with the birthday money Grandma gave her. Wonder what my mom's going to say when she sees the gray hoodie with crosses and skull bones all over it. Hmmmm. LOL!
While walking we decided that Chinese sounded better and went to the food court instead of Rain Forest Cafe. Alien figured we'd save money ... BUT ... what money we saved at the food court (vs. Rain Forest Cafe) was soon spent at her favorite store - Hot Topics. More goth stuff ... fingerless gloves and a "HIM" necklace. So much for the money we'd saved by eating cheaper. She more than made up for the savings. LOL. But hey, she's only 17 once and damn did we have fun. Ya, fun at the Maul, who'da thunk it?
Thursday was a stressful day. I'm really hating that Professional Communication class with a passion. The instructor does NOT communicate what he wants out of assignments or homework, he's highly disorganized and he loses papers all the time (2 of the assignments I've turned in he says he doesn't have). And I'm not the only student who feels this way - I hear complaints all the time about this guy. After the *formal* part of class (lectures, presentations, etc) we had one on one meetings with the teacher. I asked him what I could do to make up for the fact I'll be in Chicago for a major assignment (a presentation using power point). He tells me absolutely not, but if I play my cards right I may be able to do a private presentation for him, that he's not going to waste class time on make up presentations. I asked him something else that I thought was important and was interupted with "are you done? You're wasting my time" as he turns his back to me and walks away. So much for professionalism, so much for giving a damn about your students. And yes I have a meeting on Monday with the campus Dean to discuss this treatment I received, and the way he's done similar with other students. Three students who witnessed the whole exchange came to me afterwards and told me they have my back and will be happy to act as witnesses to the rude behaviors they and I have recieved in this class. I just pray there's no repercussions for me or my fellow classmates complaining!
Friday was uneventful. Yay!!
Had a great Small Business class today ... well, we do every time this class meets, the teacher is great! There was also a campus open house today. Lots of goodies and give aways, so I asked Married Son to bring Alien up to the campus to partake in the freebies. They got there earlier than I had anticipated but I had warned my instructor that if he sees a weird looking bunch of kids hanging outside the class room to ignore them, that it's just my kids. LOL. When they showed up Teacher nodded to me, got his "I'm gonna make trouble" grin ... and invited them all into the room for the last fifteen minutes of the lecture. He even had Married Son involved in questions and answers. LOL! Grandson was with them. He sat quietly at the desk in front of me, writing "notes" in the notebook I had given to him. Weird to have my kids and grandkid invited into the classroom. After my class was over we did the open house thingie. Grandson came away like a little bandit. A story book, t-shirt and visor ... and he got to make ice cream and eat it and got to gawk over the skelton of "Elmer" a mastadon that was discovered locally during roadway construction excavation. Married Son and I had free massages. Ahhhhhhh ... I feel like a million bucks now. LOL!! Fun was had by all.
And in between all the fun and excitement it's been hit the books. Mid term already. Big assignments due ... studying for tests ... working on group presentations ... all that stuff that goes with school. I barely come up for air these days. I so swear that next semester I'm going to better plan my course-load and balance easy and hard courses. This all hard course (heavy workload) is for the birds.
As usual, I've been keeping up with ya'll through email updates. Gotta love those. Even though I am not signing on, I can at least lurk and keep up with what's going on in the lives of my friends.

Glad that Alien had a good birthday, it's so much easier for girls, my goth son has taken a lot of abuse for his fingerless gloves and various hairstyles and I get so bored with the endless black clothes I wash for him LOL. Hasn't the first half of term gone quickly? Hugs, keep with the books!
ReplyDeletewhat is it with professional communication courses??? i've been battling the exact same problems with my instructor for it...i swear the job listing must read: instructor for professional comm course. must be unorganized, unprofessional, and have lousy communication skills.
ReplyDeleteI personally am about to hunt mine down and tell her "look, just give me an 'a' and let me go because i'm doing better at communicating in this course than you are!"
Helen Jo, guess I should be real glad that Alien does her own laundry, cause I know I'd get sick of all the black clothing, too!! Although I have to admit from time to time she actually is sorta girly-girly, too. Talk about extremes!! LOL!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe how fast the term is flying! I'll miss three of my teachers ... the one, well ... he can go to you-know-where.
Amy ... that's got to be it!! Sad thing is ... on ratemyprofessor.com he's actually well loved by his English students. Something must happen to their brains once they're in communications mode, cause I'm sure not impressed with this jerk (one of my classmates wrote a real nasty (but oh so true) submission for ratemyprofessor.com already. I'm trying to wait until the end of the term. Heavens knows I'm probably doing enough damage to my grade once we meet with the Dean next week.
ReplyDeleteOne of the gals in the class is constantly being told she's the most unprofessional person he's ever met. Funny thing is ... she is a marketing rep for a major energy drink company and is constantly giving PROFESSIONAL presentations. We know she'd be much better as a teacher than this moron is. Shit, I'd be better - and I have NO experience in Professional Comm!
Sounds like a fun b'day and when my girl saves me mony on eting its usually because theres other stuff to buy toooo LOL.
ReplyDeleteSucks about your instructor..I'm thinking I may have sworn at him if he said that to me!!
Helen Jane, yeah, that's what I was thinking, too ... she's saving my money so she can spend it elsewhere. Little turd that she is. LOL!
ReplyDeleteIt was all I could do to not cuss him out. I probably would have had "K" (a class mate) not cleared her throat as a reality warning to me. I'm glad she did, otherwise I might have lowered myself to his level.