










December 10, 2008
Buzz builds for 'Star Trek' museum exhibit
By ERIN CHAN DING
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER
Metro Detroit’s Trekkies don’t need Scotty as a motivation to beam themselves over to the Detroit Science Center for its impending “Star Trek: The Exhibition.”
As indicated by the response received by the Science Center since the Free Press broke the news today that the extensive exhibition is coming to Detroit, Southest Michigan’s Star Trek fans fully intend to transport themselves see the props, uniforms, starship models and set recreations that are part of the new traveling exhibit.
Museum spokeswoman Kelly Fulford says museum employees have been fielding calls from fans all day about the exhibit. One caller, she says, is a local artist who creates Star Trek posters and would like to show her work at the exhibit. Media outlets from Windsor and Toledo have also called inquiring about the exhibit.
She also notes the number of blogs and aggregators (like http://trekmovie.com/ and http://startrek.panpadia.com) that have picked up the Free Press report about the exhibit.
“Everyone is really excited that it’s coming to Detroit,” Fulford says.
Todd Slisher, vice president of science programs for the museum, says the institution is expecting more than 150,000 people for the exhibit, which runs from Feb. 14 through Sept. 7.
Tickets for the exhibit cost $18.95 for adults, $14.95 for kids younger than 12 and seniors 60 and older and $7.50 for Science Center Members. They go on sale Friday at www.detroitsciencecenter.org and at the Science Center box office. If you’re buying them as a gift and don’t know the exact date for which you want the tickets, Fulford suggests purchasing a Science Center gift card for the price of the tickets.
see original article at Detroit Free Press
Congratulations - I know you're excited about it...and I hope you get free admission (Being the official historian and all).
ReplyDeleteHow cool what a bummer you wont be able to be a hostess BUT I know you'll be geeked and excited about being there recording it all for posterity.
ReplyDeleteI doubt I'll be able to get free admission, lol, but it would be nice. I'm *just* the ship historian, not the historian for the region.
ReplyDeleteI've got mixed feelings about not being able to be a hostess. I'm not that great with Star Trek trivia - and of course that's the most important thing needed to be a host or hostess. Having a uniform helps, LOL! I only have a StarFleet polo shirt - not quite an *authentic* uniform required by the Museum. Since I've seemed to become a Ferengi, I would need to have a Ferengi uniform. I would also need the Ferengi mask to look like one. And those ain't cheap. LOL.
Well, the only problem with an authentic women's Ferengi uniform is that Ferengi are more traditional of a species ... they believe women do not work outside the home - and traditional Ferengi women are forbidden to wear clothing! There are very strict Ferengi rules regarding all aspects of a woman's life ... and only the most *modern* of Ferengi females (me) would dare to break ages old traditions.
Why did I chose to be a Ferengi, you ask? Their sense of business ... gotta love the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition ... http://www.sjtrek.com/trek/rules/