KUA

KUA

12/30/08

Ten Thoughts Tuesday ...

1) It's going to be difficult to adjust to life without Ringo. Silly little things, like not being assaulted when I am in the kitchen (he thought the sole reason I had for being in the kitchen was to feed him), going to the bathroom (his favorite perch was atop my shoulders or nestled in my drawers), walking down the hall at night (being a black cat he was hard to see in the dark, and he took advantage of that by weaving between my feet as I walked in the dark) and reading (he loved to pretend he was a bookmark and would flop on half of whatever I was reading). Even Shiloh (now the King of the Castle) misses him. He's still wandering around the house looking for his buddy, meowing loudly as he searches.

2) Ringo wasn't allowed to eat canned food. It did miserable things to his digestive system. So, yesterday when I went shopping I bought Shiloh a new water/food bowl and a dozen or so cans of canned cat food. I figured maybe the new bowl would not smell of Ringo ... and the food, well, to Shiloh it was a new experience, that's for sure. I seem to have created a monster now! He turns his nose up at his one-time favorite "Meow Mix". But I think it's going to work. He actually ate for the first time since Ringo's been gone. And then promptly proceeded to meow for a refill!

3) We're one step closer to Married Son moving in. One of the conditions of having a dog in the house is that he has a crate that he can be put in over night. Part of that was because of Ringo's stress levels, part because Hondo (the dog) is a chewer. I just can't leave him unsupervised at night. I may not have a sofa - or recliner - when we wake up in the morning. Well, yesterday Exie-pooh brought over a dog crate for Hondo. I still am not sure where it'll be set up.

4) Speaking of Married Son. I guess all is not quiet on the marital front. He was here yesterday telling me that he may be the only one moving in. He and DIL are at each others throats constantly. He's thinking that maybe a separation period is needed for them to both cool their heels. Her (and Grandson) at her folks, him here. Dog with her, cat with him.

5) Ya know, I love my kids dearly. But I'm really dreading the drama that comes with one (or all) moving back in. Not just the drama, but the noise, the chaos and the loss of privacy.

6) Geesh ... five thoughts and I'm so not coming up with more ...

7) Oh, yeah. LOL. I finally got to pick up my new eyeglasses today. Actually, they were ready to be picked up on December 22, only the eye doctor forgot to call me to say they were in. But I got 'em. My prescription changed a lot in the twelve months since I got my last pair. I didn't realize it until I put them on. Amazing to be able to see clearly again, I tell ya! I like these new frames. I'll have to see if I can get someone to snap a pic of me wearing them.

8) Good thing I don't have much of a social life right now, LOL! Single Son just asked me if he can borrow my car on New Year's Eve. He has to work at the police department, they're having their annual "Resolution Run". Sure ... take the car. I won't be needing it, LOL. And no, his van still isn't on the road. Hopefully soon.

9) Resolutions. Nope, I don't make them. Haven't since I was a kid. Promising one day a year to make those changes you want (need) to make in your life only sets you up for failure. Instead ... I *resolved* to make changes as I see the need for them - and not save them up for the end of the year.

10) 2008 is one year I doubt I'll miss. Been a rough one for most of us. May 2009 be a year of improvement for each and every one of us.


9 comments:

  1. It's always tough to lose a furkid...and I'm glad Shiloh loves canned cat food. My vet doesn't believe cats should ever eat dry food - he says they are carnivores - and the carbohydrates in dry food tends to make them gain weight and cause blood sugar spikes.

    I compromise and mine get both because when I travel - I need to have them eating dry...but it was a battle to get them to like canned food - they were definitely carboholics.

    Ouch to only having one of them move in.....if I remember right - the reason you were letting them come back in the first place is because you didn't want grandson living with her parents. But if they are fighting all the time - you probably don't want that in your house either.

    Just make sure you set a time limit no matter how many (or how few) come to stay with you......and stick to it. You've earned having the place to yourself if thats what you want.

    And I hope 2009 is a much better year for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em, Thanks. It's been a hard few days, but I know it'll get easier. I've always tried to mix both, dried and canned food. That is, until Ringo came into my life. One of our vets once told us they need a certain amount of dried food, it's good for the teeth - acts like a tooth brush of sorts, LOL.

    Yeah, that was part of the whole reason I said yes to them moving back in to begin with. To say the conditions over there are less than ideal is an understatement. Grandson's health isn't in danger over there, but there is a certain *criminal element* (his uncle) that we're all trying to avoid. But you're right, I don't need the fighting either. DIL is loud on a good day ... fighting, well ... just something I'd like to avoid if at all possible.

    We have set a limit. One year from the date of the move in. That should give them enough time to find a good house and save enough money for a down payment or deposit elsewhere. My ultimate goal is to have an empty nest by May of 2010 - when I finally have my degree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I asked about the teeth thing - and the answer was to use dental treats....like Greenies or something similar. However they really felt that part of the dental problems were actually caused by dry food sticking to the teeth more than meat products would. Believe me - I didn't want to make the switch to canned - it's a lot more expensive and that's part of the reason I still feed both.

    So maybe you'll have a better time of it only having one of the crowd back - at least it will be quieter. One can put up with anything for a year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My vet had recommended those dental treats, too. When I can afford 'em. You'd think that dried food wouldn't stick like that. LOL, I guess I need a good vet - and not a ghetto doc, eh?
    Weird thing was that Ringo never went for any type of feline treat. Now that it's only Shiloh, I'll have to see if he goes for them. I guess as with feeding the two-legged babies, it's a matter of balance and nothing in excess.

    LOL, there's a lot of years where I've *put up* ... but I think I can handle another year. I hope so anyway. Oh, my goal of 2010 was concerning Single Son, not the Noisy Ones (they have 12 months from move in).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, may you be saying goodbye to all of them this time next year :). Actually I think there's a pretty cheap version of dental treats made by Purina or one of the other big brands - the name escapes me, but they are a supermarket item - and it only takes a few a day.
    I'm sure your vet is fine - heck, there's a half dozen of them at the practice my furkids go to - and they don't necessarily even agree with each other.
    But I figure the life they have with us is better than the life they'd have without us - so we just do the best we can and what we can afford.
    And here's hoping that New Years Eve 2009 will have you helping your sons pack for their moves OUT of your house :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Em, I'll have to check the grocery. I usually buy my pet foods at a discount store around town. They don't have any treats. I'll check it out. Thanks.

    This city-slicker vet charges way too much (almost three times as much as mom's vet). I'm on the new patient waiting list for my mom's local vet. Too late to help Ringo, I'm afraid, but we can still get Shiloh in there.

    2009 is gonna be my year, I can feel it. I start the business in about three months, school continues ... and maybe - just maybe - the nest will be empty this time next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope won't miss 2008 either, still sad about kitty :( will miss him even though I didn't know him except through you. Hugs for a better New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kitty, thanks ... and here's to a much better New Year for everyone ... ::cheers::

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its always hard losing a pet, feels like part of you is missing. You ahve a lot of great emmories of Ringo though.
    Glad to hear shiloh is eating he may have pined for a lot longer you did good with the new bowls and changing his food, he may start flopping down on your books now and really become top cat!
    Things really don't sound good for married son, will be hard on the little fellow, I hope they although fighting in front of him would be worse and living with tension.
    i DONT MAKE RESOLUTIONS EITHER, JUST CAUSE i KNOW i WOULD SUCK AT KEEPING THEM lol.
    I hope 2009 is all you hope it to be..Happy new year!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete