So, college days are officially over for me, for now anyway. I need time off. Still not sure if I'll end up going to the University to get that Bachelor's degree or not. That's a decision I won't contemplate for at least a year. Like I said, I need time off to rest the ol' brain.
Commencements were at the Palace of Auburn Hills. Nice place - if you're in the stands. The back hallways where we had to get in alphabetic order were nice, LOL, but the standing for over an hour on concrete floors in dress shoes really played hell on my feet and legs (four days later I'm still feeling it). I'm glad I wore flats, all those women in high heels had to have really been feeling it worse than me! But once we finally got moving things went smoothly.
The only two professors that I saw there that I knew and had classes with just happened to be my favorite and my worst profs. And of course, the worst prof was all friendly ... shoulder bumping me every time he passed me in the crowded hallway. I so felt like saying "look, I didn't like you when I was in your class. What makes you think I want to be all buddy buddy now? Jerk". But I didn't' say it. I did however, position myself between two students so that he couldn't shoulder bump me further. What a moron. And Coach was there - my fave prof. I've blogged about her in the past, the stress management prof. Great lady. The things I learned in her class will definitely be with me for the rest of my life. Unlike the Jerky Prof, I can't say I even remember much more than his bad teaching (certainly not what the lessons were).
So ... the ceremony was nice. A little long, but what ceremony isn't a bit on the longish side? The keynote speaker especially. Half an hour (so I'm told by Single Son) of whatever it was he was saying. He did "bird hop" a lot - what my family calls when someone jumps quickly from one subject to another, then back to a prior topic again. It made it hard for me to try to keep up with his speech.
I did notice there was a huge percentage of women graduating. Much more than men. I'd love to see the stats on exactly what the ratio was. I'd also love to know the attendance figures. The Palace was absolutely packed!
Single Son and DIL were both there with their cameras. Single Son had his hands full with Dad in his wheelchair, and Mom and Aunt Silly both walking with canes. So he wasn't really able to get many photos during the ceremony. And the handicapped seating was so far up in "nosebleed city" that they were literally in the shadows. Thankfully DIL had a little better seating and was able to photograph the ceremony for me. She has yet to send them to me, but I will post as soon as I receive them. Single Son was able to get photos after the ceremony at least. Which is good, I really wanted photos with my folks and favorite aunt.
Me, Mom, Aunt Silly and Dad

How wonderful that your parents were able to see you graduate......I'd say start working and then figure out about going back to school - the sooner you do, the easier it is - but it really depends on how stressful your job is whether or not you can do justice to both at the same time....
ReplyDeleteEm, thanks! It was great having my folks there. Dad hasn't been doing real good lately so it was questionable if he'd be able to go or not. It was a blessing he was able to be a part of the day. And Aunt Silly was a total surprise, I had no idea she was going to be there until I saw her!
ReplyDeleteI'll keep that in consideration about stress (something I try to avoid). IF I ever get word on this job that I may have (long story on why I haven''t heard yet) it'd be perfect for me to be able to take a class or two a term.
Congrats! And I'm so glad your folks made it, too, andyou were able to get the pictures! We're all so proud and happy for you!
ReplyDeleteAmy, thanks!! Can you believe I survived it? LOL. I was just going over some old blog entries. What an experience. And honestly I loved every second of it.
ReplyDelete