It's not the people I'll miss. Well maybe it is ... some awesome teachers that I really enjoyed their lectures or bumping into them in the hallways long after their class ended. A few friendships made that will be part of the rest of my life ... a few acquaintances that I'd just as soon forget.
It's not that heavy-assed book-bag I had to lug around. I won't miss that a bit, neither will my shoulder or back for that matter. Hell, maybe now the lack of feeling (and usage) of half of my right hand may return soon. And I sure won't miss the sticker shock of book buying at the beginning of each new semester or wondering if they'll buy back that $150 textbook I'll never open again. And of course I learned about some of these textbook buying sites way too late in the college game. At least I can use them to sell those unwanted textbooks.
I can't say I'm going to miss homework. I'm not! I got so burned out towards the end that it'll be a long time before I think fondly of those end of chapter questions, the weekly papers (four pages, double spaced) - or the overused power point presentations. Gawd, those I'll never miss!
Maybe it's because as long as I was a student, I felt in touch with my long-lost youth? Although, I have to admit, I am proud to have been a teen in the 70s, I'd never survive being a kid today. The much younger than me teachers would often ask me about how I perceived changes in such things as the job market, advertising, marketing, retail stores and just life in general. The kids seemed to enjoy those "back in my day" discussions. This is "living history" as one of the kids once said.
Maybe it's just because I love to learn?? I'm even contemplating returning to the University to get my bachelors in Business Management. It won't be for a while (I need time off!!) and it sure won't be at the four or five class per semester that I have done for the last four years. Dummy me for changing my major THREE times! A two year degree turned into four years! But it was fun. And I got to learn things that I might not otherwise have had the opportunity to learn.
Okay, so I admit, life is a learning experience. I don't need a college classroom to learn something new every day. And Life sure doesn't expect those four page (double spaced) papers once a week!
Maybe it's now I have to take this new knowledge, this new education and hopefully apply it to the rest of my life? College afforded me some structure, some certainty. I know first hand how uncertain it is out there in the big bad world - after fifty years it's a lesson I've learned well ... could it be that losing my security blanket called College just reconfirms insecurities I've long had?
I do have job prospects. One I think I can rule out, there's complications involved in a civilian performing this particular job. And NO! I am not going to go to the police academy so I can get the proper training. Can you see ME in the academy? I wouldn't last a day - not in the physical shape I'm in. It'd be worth a few laughs maybe, until the paramedics had to be called (it's only fun until someone gets hurt, right?). Not to mention, would you like to run into a pre-menopausal woman packing heat? I didn't think so!
The other job prospect that opened up to me in just the last day or two is more up my alley. Dispatch Supervisor. Perfect for me. And as a supervisor, I'd actually be able to put the education behind my new degree to good use!

Crossing my fingers (and maybe even my eyes!) :P
ReplyDeleteLOL, thanks Amy ... but you don't need to cross your eyes. I wouldn't want you tripping over Rock Puppy or Ping! ;)
ReplyDeleteGrab every opportunity that comes along - I've been given a second chance at doing something for me and have a job I love. The education side of it I am re-living through my daughter and colleagues who are doing degrees - pre-menopausal/post-menopausal wtf we can still do it!!
ReplyDelete