KUA

KUA

12/12/10

Baby It's Cold Outside ...

So much for my promises to blog more, eh? Can't blog when there's nothing happening. Well, some talented people can ... they have the ability to take something "routine" and through their creativity they shed new light on their topic. I, sadly, have misplaced that ability.

It's true, if you don't use it, you lose it.

So, what's happening in the mundane world of Moi?

*****

That winter storm is finally on it's way. I fell asleep a few hours ago to the sound of rain, now there's snow on the ground. I'm pretty sure that there's ice under that snow. And I'm not going to find out!! I'm stayin' inside today! Especially with the forecast of about ten inches of snow in our area by tomorrow morning.

Oh, the weather outside is frightful ...

I have the morning news on in the background. They're covering the mad rush people are making for supplies - at this hour no less. Hello? We live in Michigan people. Shouldn't you have realized there'd be snow at some point, and to have these supplies on hand already? I mean ... common sense says snow scrapers, snow shovels and de-icer are pretty much a given 'round these parts. I know where my snow shovel and snow-melting de-icer is .. and it ain't on the shelves of the store. And I won't even get into the lady they just interviewed who dragged her kids out of bed before dawn to buy them snowsuits!

Pretty sad that I, the Queen of Procrastination never leave certain things for the last minute. Like food, or warm clothing, or snow removal supplies. Oy.

*****

I've had my Christmas shopping done for a week now. Wrapped, tagged, and waiting.However, now I'm NOT done with shopping. Mom called last night and asked if I would do her Christmas shopping. Grrrrrr. Sure, I said. Luckily I had a few ideas for each kid (and grand) left, thanks in part to my really tight gift budget this year. But now it's unavoidable I hit the Maul again.

Ah well, the best part of this is that I get to shop for myself, too!! I know part what I want to buy myself, it was just a matter of being able to order it.

And what's got me so excited, you ask?

A dryer cleaner kit from Flylady of course. After that little mishap where DIL thought the dryer was on fire - remember that? The poor moth got bbq-ed in the lamp, it was NOT a dryer fire. But with the way *someone* doesn't clean the lint traps after every use so this is the perfect gift for myself - peace of mind that there's no lint to worry about, and it's affordable at $15.95.

Heaven helps if one of them touches it!

Then again, like they'd do a chore without threats or personal gain? This of course, does not apply to Single Son - just the Wrecking Crew. Single Son is good about his chore list (and helping me when I ask or he sees the need for something to be done).

I'll clean Mom's dryer, I'm sure it needs it, too. And a friend of mine said once I own one she'd pay me to use it on her dryer, too.

LOL ... what a job possibility ... "Dryer Lint Removal - $20". My slogan could be "Dryer Blow Jobs" ... or "Let ME Suck Your Dryer Clean".

*****

Mom told me to spend about a hundred on my combined gifts (being it's my birthday this weekend, LOL) ... I have no idea what else I want or need. Oh, Oh, Oh!! Maybe a new comforter? I'm getting a new bed within the next three weeks ... a nice new comforter would be great. Maybe I can find a good sale on one of those bed-in-a-bag thingies.

Yup, that's what I'm getting ... a bed-in-a-bag set.

Thanks for the help, I really wasn't sure what I wanted.

*****

LOL, speaking of chores ... DIL wants the tree up this year. I didn't put it up last year. Why bother when no one was going to be here? Anyway ... she's been vocal about wanting MY tree up. I told her she'd have to go into the crawl space to get it and the ornaments, she'd have to clean the living room of their crap that's been dropped in the corner, that my 90 year old dollhouse has to be moved to the top of the entertainment center from the table it stands on now (she thinks she's going to move it to the lower level - NOT) ... and their crap on the entertainment center needs to be put in storage.

Needless to say, the tree and ornaments are still in storage, the dollhouse sits on the table the Christmas tree goes on, and the entertainment center still has her crap on it.

She also wants to string lights all over the front of the house. Not a chance of that happening!! The house is covered in vinyl siding (including the soffit), there's no way she's putting holes in MY three year old siding!! She can string 'em on the inside of the front windows, providing she uses NO nails!!

Call me Scrooge. OR Maxine. OR the Grinch.

*****

I'll be sooooo glad when the holidays are over!

6 comments:

  1. keep warm!

    and love the dryer-business slogans! (i'd comment more, but the snow means i have to go into work early--bad roads)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drive carefully, Amy!! Comment whenever you can ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made it in fine...which is great 'cause otherwise I would've missed being peed on!

    I can't imagine living in MIchigan and not knowing enough to keep some extra supplies or to have appropriate clothing for the kids...that's ridiculous. We keep a supply of non-perishables and water year round just 'cause you never know when you will need them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peed on, eh? That must have been the highlight of your evening ... right up there with driving into work on wintery roads.

    I can't imagine living pretty much anywhere these days without having at least a week's worth of supplies per person on hand ... earthquakes, tornados, snow storms, grid failures - even your common power outages ... you're gonna need supplies! Food, water, equipment ... even something to entertain you for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well there are clips to prevent holes and as long as she is paying the electric bill. As a passing comment I think your blogs are brilliant and I wish you'd do more :). I think that the running out for supplies thing is just an overreaction in case there is an actual snowed in. It isn't Michigan - it's everywhere. Like Amy says - most people have plenty of food to hold them for a while - but its that milk and bread thing.

    And even if they are snowed in - people seem to think that the stores should be open. When I lived across from a grocery store - folks would walk through the unplowed streets to try to shop....and the funniest part was when the power was out on my street - but for some reason neighbors thought the grocery store would have electricity.

    The dryer brush sounds like a good idea. My vent is only a few feet to the outside so it's easy enough for me to clear it without help.......and I love the names for your service.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Em, I'd love to be able to use those clips, but, alas, my house has no rain gutters. I doubt we could get them to clip to the overhang, and it's just too dangerous to go up on a snowy roof now.

    Aw, shucks, thanks. And here I thought I was a so-so blogger ... Thanks!!

    Over-reaction, that makes sense. And the milk and bread thing ... definitely makes sense. I forget these things as I don't buy bread that often (I prefer homemade biscuits over store bought bread), and I never buy milk. Any cooking that needs milk, I've long substituted powdered milk for. Milk would go bad if it waited for me to use it all, powdered milk is a great option for me. It takes some adapting recipes but once you figure it out, the results are better (mac and cheese is cheesier, au gratin potatoes are creamier, etc).

    I hear that with the electricity being out and people assuming the stores have power! When I worked at Sam's Club they did have emergency generators, so it was pretty much business as usual, but Big Lots was in the dark - with customers demanding to know why we weren't open for business. Silly people.

    My dryer is located like yours is, next to an outer wall and easy to clean. This kit is also for the interior of the dryer, the nooks and crannies ... deep down in the lint trap, and all over (and under) the machine.

    I couldn't sleep again last night so I went online and ordered the dryer kit and something called "rubba scrubba" brushes. They're rubber scrub brushes, a set of four - one toilet brush, a general scrub brush and two dish brushes. I'm thinking the rubber brush will be great for cleaning the screen of the lint trap with. And one of those dish brushes is gonna pull duty in the bathroom, cleaning the tub, the tub wall and the marble sink.

    ReplyDelete