KUA

KUA

1/28/11

Friday and I survived ...

... having a toddler around the house.

Butterball was a little angel, actually. A very active angel. Emphasis on ACTIVE! Wore me right out. He never cried for his momma (except at bedtime the first two nights). He hogged my bed, even gave me a bloody nose one night when he planted his foot squarely on my nose. He ate constantly.

Butterball cried when I was out of his sight, which wasn't often (hey, even a Gramma has to take a potty break on occasion). He loved the game we made up "Put it Away". Yup, he helped me with some stuff I needed to do, but putting "it" away often included taking it right back out, throwing it across the room. We'll have to work on that part of the game! The leaving it where it goes, not the throwing part. He's got that part downpat.

We went up to the hospital to see Momma and JJ (Em, I re-nicknamed the baby for you - not really ... Grandson called him JJ, so that's the name I'll stick with. You're free to get Dallas out of your mind now). Butterball was good as gold, he was really interested in his new little brother, and wouldn't stop staring at him. It was just too cute!! When it was time to go (we didn't stay long - the Alien Momma was sleepy). I had anticipated Butterball screaming bloody murder when we left, but he didn't!! He kissed Momma and JJ (and the BF) and walked to the door like a Little Man.

I saw some things about the BF that I really have to wonder about. Red flags, really. His impatience with Butterball - who was only curious about the little bundle that BF wouldn't put down (so much for the bassinet, eh?). But the comment that really got me was when the BF asked me if I'd watch Butterball for the next month! That he needed time to bond with JJ. There were a few other (minor) things that really got to me ... and for once I HAD to speak my mind! I told them (mostly for his benefit) that they will have to be more patient with Butterball if they want to prevent sibling jealousy ... and by gawd, if Butterball is ignored for even a second they have ME to deal with. BF left the room shortly after to go grab a soda pop and Alien told me that she's had the same conversation with him. That he needs to be more tolerant of a one year old. Period. So ... we'll see what happens there.

Alien was released yesterday. We met up at the grocery store so I could get Butterball some milk and his favorite Cheerios cereal while they got supplies they needed. From there, we went back to their house. I unpacked Butterball's stuff from the car - with him screaming at the top of his lungs "Amma" the whole time. That bought tears to my eyes, I tell ya!!

Thankfully he got distracted by one of the dogs so I was able to make a quick break of it.

I talked to Alien on the phone just a little bit ago. Butterball loves just sitting there watching JJ. He helps with diapers (getting them and throwing them away). Sounds like it's going to be a smooth transition for them.

I won't go over until next week. Only because of the way Butterball screams when I leave. He needs a few days to adjust to being back home and to JJ before I come over.

8 comments:

  1. Lol because of the throwing part of the "putting.g away game" all I can think of when you say he helps with diapers I just picture those clumsy toddler overhang throws, and poo flying everywhere....

    But I think its cute how attached to his grandma he is! Love the pics on FB btw

    ReplyDelete
  2. So now I have Good Times stuck in my head - I'm not sure you've done much better. Odd that the BF is more into one child than the other.....if its the age thing then there's quite a surprised in store for this guy in a year.

    Hope you said no to the babysitting for a month....even though I know you love your grandkids......I think the exhausting part is why folks our age don't reproduce without medical assistance.....sometimes Nature knows best. (I wonder if Octomom agrees).

    And LOL at Amy........Lisa's had kids so I imagine she doesn't let him near the crappy ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy, do you two have a few things to learn about used diapers!! You close it up a certain way, then velcro it with the little velcro tabs. Then and only then is it safe to throw out (or in this case have a toddler "throw it in the basket"). And yes, he safely throws poopy diapers away. His own anyway.

    Go figure. LOL.

    I laughed when he asked about babysitting for a month. Told him that the sooner they get to being a normal family the better. Well, as normal as that situation will ever get anyway.

    What's really sad is he's got a four year old daughter. He never sees her (the baby's momma refuses visitation) ... I don't think he knows HOW to handle a toddler, he hasn't seen his own daughter since she was six months old (he was 16). Or so the story goes. Damned soap operas, I tell ya!

    There are those kooks who think that having a baby in their golden years is a good idea. Hell with that! I'll take the grands, thanks!! Spoil 'em, then send 'em back to the goofy parents. Paybacks for all the years of torture they put us through.

    Hmmmm, I wonder what the medicare paper pushers do when they see "pregnancy" or "childbirth" on a form they're processing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just hope bf doesn't end up showing too much favoritism. This is a new one, isn't it? So butterball isn't his. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Butterball isn't his, neither is JJ ... they have the same father - the Loser (or Jailbird if you prefer - yes, he's locked up and will be until July).

    Alien's called me a few times today with "stupid questions", that's normal. LOL ... she was saying that the BF and Butterball were on the floor playing together nicely. I could hear them both in the background laughing ... so something good is going on. He just needs to be at Butterball's level playing, and not sitting way up high over Butterball's level playing online. Oh, her stupid question was if I had 4 D-cell batteries for the toy they were attempting to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - they are velcro now .... you can tel how long it's been since I changed a diaper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Em, Em, Em ... girl you better practice on a baby doll or teddy bear and quick ... it's not long 'til you'll be a velcro diaper pro yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ROFLMAO - I'll figure things out once it arrives, I'm sure....and if I don't - I'll just fill a large bassinet with scoopable litter :).

    ReplyDelete