KUA

KUA

6/4/11

Society of Grumpy Neighbor Ladies ...

This subject originated on facebook. It was started by Leann. She had confessed that she's now officially a Grumpy Neighbor Lady ... great topic Leann!

My membership in the SGNL started almost three decades ago when my kids were little and got to know the other kids in the 'hood. Because my kids are now grown ... I've "graduated" to becoming a member of the Society of Grumpy OLD Ladies. I am proud of my membership!

My rules were rather simple when my kids were small. But there were two sets of rules. One for the kids whose parents I didn't know, and the other for the kids whose parents I did know.

The biggest difference in those rules were that IF I didn't know your parents, you were not allowed in the house (not even to use my bathroom! Go home to pee, kiddo). Good thing for them it was a rather small neighborhood, or there'd have been a lot of "accidents". LOL. In the end, I knew most of the parents ... but there was always one or two in any of the neighborhoods where we lived who were too LAZY to accept my invitation to get to know them. Those kids never ever entered my home!

I was always big on The Golden Rule ... treat others as you want to be treated. Of course, with the little ones you had to be more specific ... don't hurt others, don't hurt their feelings, play nicely, play fair, clean up after yourselves, respect the furniture, etc.

I also had rules for lunch or dinner "guests" ... IF you want little Susie down the street to have dinner over, I NEED 24 hour notice ... if you want a sleepover with your friends, again, I need 24 hour notice. Same if you wanted to sleep at their house, or eat dinner with their family. None of this last minute crap for this Grumpy Ol' Mum.

*****

Make rules, and keep them and you control the situation. Lax and you lose all control.

And I think that's happened with me. I've lost control of my kids (well, the Wrecking Crew really). Or ... they think that as adults they don't have to follow MY rules anymore. Okay, some of the rules have changed a bit because they supposedly know better (play nice, play fair, don't hurt others, etc) but most rules have not changed ... clean up after yourselves, respect the furniture, etc ...

But when it comes to the Wrecking Crew ... I've lost control.

*****

As far as the neighbor kids today ... yup, I definitely have that Grump thing under control. One set of neighbors (the Barky Dog neighbors) I often have to tell the kids to GO HOME ... or to point their golf clubs away from our vehicles (no garage here to park and protect our vehicles in) ... sad thing about the golf clubs is that their Dad is often the one driving REAL golf balls in the direction of our vehicles. Hullo Dumbass!!

I have to tell the six kids in the house on the other side of me to not ride their bikes on the grass, or stop bouncing the basket ball on the trailer in the driveway. Don't climb on the trailer, don't this ... don't that.

But I have no qualms to tell them DON'T do that ... hell, if they hurt themselves, I'm not entirely sure that the parents wouldn't sue me for their injuries.

They pretty much leave my property alone now ... they know I'll say something ...

They really are good kids, though (the family with six kids that is). Polite, pleasant. One of them was blocking the driveway when I pulled in one day (he's about four or five years old) and when he realized I was turning as soon as he moved out of the way ... he came up to me and apologized for being in the way! And no one around to tell him to apologize! Then he gave me a big hug!

We do have some fun together, the family of six that is (no way will I include the Barky Dogs in this) ... like running under the sprinklers on a hot day ... or sitting under the tree and making twig figures (the three girls really LOVE this!) ... or all playing together when Alien brings the boys over on a warm afternoon.

So, I'm not entirely Grumpy.

*****

Now if I could get Mr. Barky Dog to stop nicking up my vehicles.


6 comments:

  1. How *did* I ever survive living in the city? (shudders)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, but if you figure it out, please share ... before I totally lose what little sanity I have left!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we put the chicks in the new coop, we had to clean out their old nursery coop one last time. It had a mess of chicken poop, spilled water, and soaked feed in the cedar chips that lined it ...and it stunk. It was 90+ degrees out. We had a choice: put it in the usual spot to compost, even tho the winds were blowing towards us, or place it by the annoying neighbor's fenceline and let the smell permeate their place It was a bit further of a walk, but worth it. That's what they get for building right up on the property line!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!!!!!

    Maybe I need to raise chickens? Put the coop right under Married Son and DILs bedroom window? Kill a few birds with one stone, so to speak. And ... our yard is small enough that it'd permeate half the neighborhood with no problems!

    Old McDonald had a farm ... E I E I O ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. before em reads this and thinks all chickens stink and refuses to visit: when you move the coop around or they only use it at night to roost, it doesn't get all stinky. the little chickens never got out of their nursery ever, though, so yeah--it stunk, even with cleaning it every other day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, you know ... I did know that! One of the few "farm facts" this city girl does know! Friend of mine from long ago had chickens, I was surprised when I went to gather eggs with her that they didn't stink ... they didn't raise their own chickens, they bought theirs from a local nursery, so there was none of that nursery stink.

    LOL ... who'da thunk we'd blog about chicken stink and chicken poop?

    What I need is a farm animal that'll stink to high heaven ... now to figure a way around that pesky ordinance about farm (and exotic) animals within township limits.

    ReplyDelete