
At the entrance of the Detroit Science Center

Left to Right: JP, LD, Single Son, Me, Alien
So ... today would have been my brother's 41st birthday. A great day for the distraction of a Star Trek field trip.
What a field trip it was. Great distraction, too! This is the first birthday since he passed away I wasn't tearful all day. I definitely have to come up with another distraction next year.
Anyway ...
It was a great exhibition!! If ya'll are Trekkies and in the Detroit area before September 7, 2009 you'd love the exhibition at the Detroit Science Center. Really.
We got to see a lot of the props used and costumes worn by the actors in the different Trek series. Got to sit on a recreation of the Bridge on the Original Series. Got transported (picture above) and saw a few of the sets from TNG (The Next Generation) and TOS (The Original Series). A neat time-line of space travel ... and lots and lots of the models that were used in the filming of different movies and series. Loads of history from many knowledgable volunteers (Single Son and LD included). Even got to see Jean-Luc Picard's quarters. Thought Alien was gonna borrow a phaser gun and blast my arse when I said I wouldn't mind decorating the house like that. She disowned me when I went crazy in the history room looking at the uniforms and costumes. But I think I finally know how I want my Female Ferengi costume to look. Oh, there was even a Space Flight Simulator. I passed on that one! Too many going around in circles for me. Alien and JP enjoyed it, though.
People were very friendly ... and not just the volunteers. I can't count how many "Live Long and Prosper" signs were thrown at me by total strangers ... yeah ... about like gangs throwing their signs at each other. Lots of Trekkies showed up in uniform. It was hard to tell the volunteers from the patrons. Luckily the volunteers all wore name tags (LD's tag is visible in the photo).
Since Friday Single Son has been at the Science Center *training* for this event. He's been interviewed by four television stations, three or four radio stations and a host of newspapers, as have many of the other volunteers. He'll be volunteering a lot while the Exhibition is here in town. I'm sure I'll tag along.
One of the best Valentine's Days I've had in years and years.
Hope ya'll had a great Valentine's Day!!











Back now to my regularly scheduled homework
What a field trip it was. Great distraction, too! This is the first birthday since he passed away I wasn't tearful all day. I definitely have to come up with another distraction next year.
Anyway ...
It was a great exhibition!! If ya'll are Trekkies and in the Detroit area before September 7, 2009 you'd love the exhibition at the Detroit Science Center. Really.
We got to see a lot of the props used and costumes worn by the actors in the different Trek series. Got to sit on a recreation of the Bridge on the Original Series. Got transported (picture above) and saw a few of the sets from TNG (The Next Generation) and TOS (The Original Series). A neat time-line of space travel ... and lots and lots of the models that were used in the filming of different movies and series. Loads of history from many knowledgable volunteers (Single Son and LD included). Even got to see Jean-Luc Picard's quarters. Thought Alien was gonna borrow a phaser gun and blast my arse when I said I wouldn't mind decorating the house like that. She disowned me when I went crazy in the history room looking at the uniforms and costumes. But I think I finally know how I want my Female Ferengi costume to look. Oh, there was even a Space Flight Simulator. I passed on that one! Too many going around in circles for me. Alien and JP enjoyed it, though.
People were very friendly ... and not just the volunteers. I can't count how many "Live Long and Prosper" signs were thrown at me by total strangers ... yeah ... about like gangs throwing their signs at each other. Lots of Trekkies showed up in uniform. It was hard to tell the volunteers from the patrons. Luckily the volunteers all wore name tags (LD's tag is visible in the photo).
Since Friday Single Son has been at the Science Center *training* for this event. He's been interviewed by four television stations, three or four radio stations and a host of newspapers, as have many of the other volunteers. He'll be volunteering a lot while the Exhibition is here in town. I'm sure I'll tag along.
One of the best Valentine's Days I've had in years and years.
Hope ya'll had a great Valentine's Day!!











Back now to my regularly scheduled homework
glad to hear you got to enjoy the day and had fun...i know some years have been harder than others on this day, and i know that no matter what you'll always miss and remember your brother....but it's so nice to hear you were able to enjoy it for once....
ReplyDeleteand you really have lost weight, haven't you! i knew that, but this is the first full pic i've seen of you in a while....
happy valentine's day and....
live long and prosper!
Sounds great, you definitely need distractions on days like this!
ReplyDeleteOh this sounds like the perfect distraction and also that you had a wonderful day I'm happy for you on both counts.
ReplyDeleteOh yeah I can see you there geeked over all of it =)