Couldn't find a catchy name for Wednesday's blog entry. Oh well ... it's hump day. Four days and the commencements will be a thing of the past.
It doesn't look like Dad will be strong enough to attend. Which means Mom stays at home, too. Dad needs help to do anything anymore, from getting out of bed, up from a chair or walking across the room. Even sitting in his wheel chair at his computer poses a falling risk for him. He needs constant supervision. There's no way I want him to put himself at the risk of falling by being at commencements. And the sit, two and a half hours ... he can't sit that long anymore. He and Mom are the sole reasons why I'm even going to commencements. I'm still going, since the kids are all attending. I'll just have to purchase the DVD of the ceremony for Dad and Mom. Thank heaven for digital recordings!! I tell ya!
Mother's Day went good, minus the argument I had with Married Son about getting the lawn mowed. But, it got done. Just not by him. He hired his brother in law to do it. The kid does a good job, puts a lot of effort and attention into it. Lawn looks great. I'm thinking of having him do the work from here on out (he doesn't charge much for my tiny lot) ... but one of my sons will have to pay him - as the lawn is their responsibility!
So ... Married Son and DIL got me a cute book, "Aging With Attitude". Funny Maxine-type illustrations, lots of age attitude in those pages. Single Son had to pull a prank on me again. Him and his pranks! He had taken my car in for an oil change last week. It ended up costing him $250! Of course, that included some other repairs that needed to be done. So ... on Mother's Day he hands me this really sweet card and tells me that the oil change was my gift. I can deal with that. Really. Monday he says we're going out for a while. Our first stop we went to Best Buy where he bought me the upgrade for Windows 7. Yay!! I hate Vista with a passion. We spent Monday evening upgrading my laptop. We also stopped at the sporting goods store and looked around at some stuff he wanted to price. Then we had chinese for dinner.
The one thing I hate about upgrading the operating system is all the work needed to transfer files and to personalize it, to really make it yours. I'm still working on that two days later. LOL. K, I'm slow, what can I say?
But there's lots of distractions here. Facebook ... and email ... and stopping to get the mail, and ... well, all those mundane things that one has to do (like facebook is a must do - right?).
So ... a huge distraction today has been the mailman. He brought a package from Penguin Girl. She sent me a book called "Squirrels of the West" and a graduation card with ... what else ... penguins on it!! And Starbucks inside (no, she didn't pour coffee in the card, she added a gift card). I've been thumbing through the "field guide" ever since!! I'm taking my book and grabbing a carry out from Starbucks. I see squirrel watching in my future!! Hell, I may be making an appearance at a tree near you!

Oy ... I so forgot about Alien ... she called me on Mother's Day. We talked for a few minutes before she had to go tend to a fussy baby ...
ReplyDeleteDon't you just love the role reversal - your kids treat you like you're senile and you spend your time worrying about your parents - who have become like children!!
ReplyDeleteThey will be so proud of your achievements and your kids will be there to tell your grandkids xx