This is why I don't make New Year's resolutions ... why wait until the end of the year to make those needed changes when you can do something about it when you first notice things need to change.
Thus, today's resolution is to lose the negativity. Find the humor in a situation. And there is humor there if you look hard enough.
I've been reading some of my past blogs. Okay, my blog will never be a NY Times best seller, but still, there's some pretty funny stuff here. Until recently. Now I read too much bitching and lots of negativity. Pretty whiney shit, if you ask me.
It's taking it's toll on me. Mentally and physically. I'm back to having problems sleeping. No so much actually falling asleep, but wanting to do nothing but sleep. My eating patterns are disrupted - I've been eating healthier since the first of the year, now all I want is junk food. As much as I dislike sticking around the house, I have to force myself to go anywhere any more. Even the grocery store can be a bothersome task. I'm back to not giving a crap about much besides the messes the Wrecking Crew creates (and bitching about it).
Pretty much the symptoms of depression.
And as Chicken mentioned the other day at the picnic ... "You look like hell, girl. What's wrong". Yup, the poor thing got an ear-full alright. But it wasn't said in the whiney, bitching tone of my blogs. We laughed over it, and I did feel so much better afterwards.
So ... what I need to do is to get that Erma Bombeck - or Maxine - mentality back. Or as an old friend and one-time neighbor once said, "I love your outlook, you're so Rosanne about life."
Your mission, should you choose to accept it ... is to remind me to look at the humor in the situation instead of reacting with negativity, whining and bitching.
I'm up to the challenge. Are you? 

I'm going to join you in this challenge! That's why I stopped blogging. I would write something and read it and I sounded so bitchy so I wouldn't post it. So lets make a pact ... you call me on my negativity and I'll call you on yours... Whaddya say? If anything, we can make each other laugh!
ReplyDeleteSure...I don't have a problem poking fun at disaster...but with blogging it's not so easy to tell what sort of support the writer is looking for.
ReplyDeleteTo me you haven't sounded negative - more frustrated at the things you can't control around you.
So let me suggest having single son bring home some police tape and you can "fence off" your safe place. Or perhaps you can just consider the kitchen sink and surrounding area to be a science experiment. After all - that's how penicillin was discovered...just think if you came up with a better cure for zits or some other infection - you could become rich and famous.....(and move far away)....
Ice Queen ... deal!! And I won't bitch if you fall off the wagon once in a while. After all, we are woman, we do not fart or belch. Therefore we must bitch (on occasion) or we BLOW UP!!
ReplyDeleteEm, part of the problem I saw in my past blogs is there's NO humor. Sure, at times we all must vent, that's the nice *safe* part of blogging, a chance to vent about the dealings of daily existance. But when there's nothing else, no happiness, no dreams, no humor ... none of the things I usually am known for ... then it's time to sit back and look at yourself (collectively speaking).
ReplyDeleteNot that I'm not stressed and strained past my limits, I am ... but somewhere, somehow there's got to be comic relief. Laughter, after all, really IS the best medicine!
LMAO about crime scene tape! What I should do is mark off areas that the Wrecking Crew can access ... crossing the line wouldl result in some un-godly punishment.
Penicillin - did I ever tell you about Alien's allergy to penicillin? It's so bad (in her mind anyway) that if she discovers a science experiment in my fridge she freaks out and starts screaming "you're trying to kill me, aren't you".
I am not out to find a cure for zits or some other infection, but I sure do want to find the cure for a king-sized case of hemorrhoids.
maybe a bit TMI there sweetie ;).....I am laughing about the penicillin thing......but there's one way to keep her out of your fridge......
ReplyDeleteROFLMAO - OK - I feel better now.......
ReplyDeleteMaybe try using those skills you learned in college on them. Like post a list of chores on the refrigerator.....every time you have a meal together put a big star on whatever they did and tell them what good kids they were for helping Mommy out. And if they didn't do anything, tell them no stars for them today - hope they do better tomorrow.
If nothing else, maybe Grandson will be interested in his mommy and daddy earning stars and nag them to do stuff.
And if not, you get the fun of seeing how long it takes them to catch on that you're treating them like the chidren they are acting like :).
LOL!! That might work!! A child's chore chart ... treat 'em like kids until they figure out they're supposed to be active participants within the family group.
ReplyDeleteHeavens knows I remember the chore charts we used when the kids were small. Gotta love those court-imposed parenting sessions (during my divorces).
The response I have is way too long ... looks like another blog entry is in order. LOL.
I'll try to keep it up-beat ... gonna be a challenge, though.