Okay ... so I was telling Em that her suggestion of a child's chore chart just might be what we need to get the "kids" to cooperate.
I've had enough experience with chore charts, and I know they do work. Thanks to court ordered parenting classes that I had to take (and "graduate" from) during both of my divorces. Gotta love Friend of the Court and their interference - I mean, assistance.
Anyway ... the rest of the lengthy comment was going to be:
But I may not have to worry about chore charts IF my mother has her way. My folks own this house, I rent from them. Mom's back on her "sell the house" kick. And just how did the kick happen this time?
The tree that fell last week! That's how.
A little set up here (man, I just love these little gotta-set-the-story-up segments) ... The tree that fell did it in two segments, the first being a few years ago when half the tree fell. I told my mom then the tree needed to be removed, it was dead. And I told her over the next two years that it needed to be removed. Her response was always the same ... "that's what homeowners insurance is for". I'd tell her that I doubted they'd cover a tree that was already dead. But she insisted that it'd be covered.
Skip forward to two hours ago, when the insurance adjuster was here inspecting not only the damage, but the tree remains that still sit in my backyard. She's telling me they won't file a claim, as it's obviously a dead tree that should have been removed by the homeowner long ago, and it's cheaper to fix the neighbor's fence, replace his swing set and have the electrician do the repairs than it would be to file the claim and raise the insurance to an ungodly premium (since this is technically the fourth tree to fall in 14 years).
I then call Mom with the news and get an ear-full. How it's my fault the tree was dead, how it's my fault it wasn't removed. How dare I not have removed the evidence before the insurance adjuster arrived. All my fault! She then starts the "we're thinking about selling the house" stuff again.
Well, that would definitely solve the Wrecking Crew problem, wouldn't it? No need for chore charts if they have to find a place of their own. Oh, talking to Married Son after the call he's decided to apply for a "real job" as a tow truck driver. Get a regular weekly paycheck, in the hopes of having enough income to rent a place of their own. He's there now applying. Wish him luck!!
Single Son and I have talked, too. He's saying "no worries, Mom, we get a two bedroom apartment. Me and you and Spot (his cat obviously). No Wrecking Crew. We can survive living in a smaller place."
Yes, my son loves me and watches out for me. I think he likes having someone who will do the shopping and cooking ... and to be quiet honest, I like having a built in security guard around. LOL. It's still not an empty nest, but he stays pretty much to himself when he's home. Not that moving will happen soon. It could. But then, Mom's made threats before. So, we'll see.
Until then, I'm gonna go dig up my chore chart file. Yes, I kept it!! In the hopes that one day, my kids would seek my wisdom in such things to use with their children. Little did I suspect I might be using the file on grown-up kids.
Here's one I just found on the FlyLady website. Feel free to snag it if you are in need of chore charts ... notice it's bright primary colors to capture the child's attention!
And no I'm not changing the "before school" or "after school" headers. Let them complain I'm treating them like children!

I am not sure what this insurance adjuster thing translates to because even if your house isn't covered (because they consider letting a dead tree stay around is negligence) - I imagine the other persons insurance might use that information to come after your Mom's insurance to reimburse them for that claim.......So I don't get the idea that "no claim will be filed...unless she's suggesting if your mom doesn't file a claim that will probably be denied...then the neighbor's insurance company wouldn't realize they could get reimbursed.
ReplyDeleteIf your mom isn't in too miserable a mood, I think you should offer to read her policy for her and put some more of that college education to work. Hopefully the wannt sell the house is just one of those mood swing things.
I think it's a good idea for Married Son to have a regular job with benefits and a paycheck that he can count on......especially since it doesn't sound like DIL has the most secure standing at her own workplace....and you raised a really good Single Son since he's prepared to look out for you without you even having to ask.
And I can tell you're going to have fun with that chore chart......way to put that sense of humor to work and maybe even get some help around the place.
I'm really not sure what the whole insurance thing means anyway. I've been a renter forever (minus one short run as a homeowner) ... I'm more familiar with renter's rights vs. landlord responsibility. LOL.
ReplyDeleteMaybe I should have paid more attention in Business Law I?
Oh, am I having fun with this chore chart!! I have three going so far ... DIL, Married Son and Grandson. The chores they have in common are ... Clean up your toys ... Put your shoes in your room ... Be nice to Spot (something DIL is not is nice to my cat).
The differences are ... Mow the Lawn, take out trash, do your dishes, clean kitchen, does the kitchen sink shine?, park your car in your assigned spot, are your things picked up from common areas in house, remove clothing from dryer immediately after timer goes off (big problem with DIL), clean bathroom ... Yes, DIL insists on using chemicals that I'm allergic to (she thinks vinegar is not a cleaner!), so she gets the scrubbing chores.
Since Single Son does not leave messes his chore chart will be different. Wash coffee pot ... wash your coffee cup ... empty your ashtray ... etc. As well as some of the yard work, weed whacking, stray garbage round-up, etc. The things he does anyway, but he agreed with me that to make this work, we both need chore charts to serve as an example to the Wrecking Crew.
My chart ... get mail ... wash floors (I do not trust her with my pergo floors), vacuum (again, I don't trust her with my vacuum), dust (my trinkets, my dust), and so on with the FlyLady list of chores.
Tomorrow I go to the dollar store to get packages of dot stickers. Make my own smiley faces, or frown faces ... to use as reward stickers.
Act like little kids, be irresponsible ... this is what you get.
And I'm gonna have a blast with this!! :D