KUA

KUA

12/13/10

The Proof Is In The …

Dryer?

And we're not talking dryer lint this time.

We're talking boots. Yes, boots. Heavy duty (leather) size 13 work boots to be exact. For my friends who are not familiar with American shoe and boot sizes, that's a damn big boot!

It proves that I really am living with morons. It sounds like the house if falling in, thud, thud, thud, as they tumble.

And why, you ask, are those boots in my dryer?

Seems FedEx drivers have an odd way of drying their work boots after a long day of jumping in and out of their trucks making deliveries to houses that haven't yet shoveled their driveways or walkways from yesterday’s snow storms.

And then he wonders why I call him (them) the Wrecking Crew.

I just had a thought … brb … K ... Back. Those boots are rubber soled. That means they may melt in MY dryer! Had to go tell Married Son (a.k.a FedEx) about my thought … and now the thud, thud, thud has stopped. Yay!!

Hopefully he took them out in time so that there are no “skid marks” in my dryer!

*****

I didn’t go anywhere because of the icy roads. Heck, they cancelled school in over 200 districts today (including ours). No sense going out if the roads are that bad the call off so many districts. And from the news that's on right now, it's looking like there's a chance school may be cancelled tomorrow, too.

*****

I’m still waiting for my Assurance Wireless (a.k.a. the “government cell phone plan”) to come in. It should be here before Thursday. It’ll be so nice to have a cell phone again. I think I mentioned that a few times already.

I thought it had come in today, there was a smallish box visible in my mailbox (you can see what's in my door-less mailbox from the front window) but it turned out the box was delivered to the wrong address (happens often out here). Some neighbor I’m not familiar with, from QVC … so I left it in the mailbox for the letter carrier to pick up tomorrow and hopefully get it to the right destination this time.

So, why is my mailbox door-less? Little vandals in the area for the past five years have been playing smash the mailbox every time someone puts up a new mailbox. We don’t know who is doing it, but have a few suspects. It gets expensive if you’re replacing mailboxes every few weeks (learned that one the hard way), so now we just leave it alone. They don’t bother with the contents of the mailboxes, I guess even mailbox vandals have some respect for the power of the USPS.

Have I mentioned that I really hate living here anymore? Between falling trees, mailbox vandals, and the fact this is a dying neighborhood (notice I didn’t mention idiot neighbors, LOL), I’ve wanted to move for a while now. And it finally looks like that’ll happen within the next few years. Mom’s still talking about selling this house within two to five years, and I’ve narrowed down where I want to move to about three different areas. It’ll take me two years to figure out which one I really want to move into! LOL.

Of course, there's the apartments in Port Huron, my favorite place, but with lake effect snows and real cold temps in the winter this one will take a lot of thinking! The other two are about a dozen miles north of the town my folks live in. Rural settings pretty much., but not too far from small town civilization.

Thankfully I have time to not only figure out where I want to move (and have a job so I can save the funds to move, lol), but sort through the 16 years of memories (and crap) that living in this house have produced.

2 comments:

  1. lol--wrecking crew is living up to their name! glad there wasn't a melt-down in the dryer--he'd be owing you a new one if it had!

    btw--i still have every intention of getting to port huron so you can show me the lighthouse and such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sure do live up to their name, that's for sure! Oh, I forgot all about his special delivery today ... a door, a truck door!! Since we have no where to put it, and didn't have the keys to the disabled FedEx truck sitting in my driveway (which the door is for, by the way), it had to sit in my entry until he came home. Poor delivery guy about slid on his fanny - pergo flooring is NOT good entry flooring, it's just way too slippery! Then when I made sure I could get the front door open and closed without problems, and MADE him move it until it was out of the way ... well, I think the delivery guy was expecting a tip from me!

    Port Huron will be there whenever you're ready. Don't know about getting into the Fort Gratiot lighthouse, though, it's still an active lighthouse, under the supervision of the US Coast Guard (although they did sign the deed over to the Museum recently). They used to open it once a year for tours, but that may have been stopped due to restoration efforts. But no fear, lol, there's still the Port Huron Museum (formerly a Carnegie Library), the Thomas Edison Museum, Port Huron Lightship, the USCG Cutter Bramble (which offers overnight stays!! ), and the best river-side park to picnic, ship watch (lake freighters) and feed the ... ta da ... squirrels.

    The Port Huron Museum website:
    http://www.phmuseum.org/drupal/

    Well shoot, maybe I *will* end up moving to PH .. I love it there, obviously.

    ReplyDelete