Oops, this is a few days late. Hope StarFleet doesn't hold it against me, LOL.
What a wonderful weekend!! Full of trekkies AND lighthousing! It doesn't get better than that! Well, maybe a squirrel sighting or two, but believe it or not, I saw not one squirrel!
So ... let's go back to Saturday evening. We left as soon as Single Son got home from work. Twelve hours on the road working his FedEx job, then another ten hours driving from home to Escanaba. All my offers to take over driving were met with a "phhht, Mom, I'm fine. I'll let you know when I'm tired".
We crossed the Mackinac Bridge with about a quarter of a tank of gas left. We should have stopped at the only opened gas station there, but nooooooo, Single Son says we'll make it to another gas station further up the road. Maybe I should say here that it's now 2:30 AM ... and nothing, I repeat NOTHING is open in the wilderness of the UP (Upper Peninsula) after 5 PM. Long story short ... LOL ... about an hour later and 53 miles remaining to our destination (and only an eighth of a tank of gas left) we did manage to find a Shell Station open! We probably could have made it, but at 3:30 in the morning who really wants to test their gas luck? And I should insert here, too, how I love my car!! A tank of gas for the entire drive up ... 402 miles .... well, 53 short, but still.
We pulled into the hotel parking lot at 4 AM and promptly got our room and hit the sack. Up early. Had to go to WalMart (yuck) and get a pair of pants for Single Son, since I had forgotten to grab them out of the closet when I grabbed his Star Trek uniform shirt. After that, we went to lunch with "R" and "L", then back to the hotel to change into our Star Trek uniforms.
Dressed in uniform, we headed out to the lighthouse. Boy, did we get the looks! Got a few interested brief conversations going, hopefully we recruited a new member or two for the Escanaba chapter. We'll see!
I am so glad that you had such a good time.......and you ae only stuck with DIL in Grandson if you say yes....try NO - it has fewer letters anyhow.
ReplyDeleteProblem with that being - and learn from my mistakes - it's not so easy to get them out once they've infested your home. Damn bugs ... lol. I should have been saying NO from the last time they moved out.
ReplyDeleteThat being said, I don't have to make her last days, weeks, months here easy on her ... now do I? Maybe my bitching twice as much (since Married Son will be on the road and unable to bear the brunt of my bitchings about his wife) ... will at least cause them to vacate sooner (although eviction proceedings is always an option).
And you know what they say about bitching ... women do not belch or fart, therefore we must bitch or we'll implode.
OMG How embarrassing! I just went to get my hair trimmed. She did a great job but when I went to pay with my charge card it was declined! Turns out it was an error on the bank's part (isn't it always, LOL), but the card would not go through. I had to call Married Son to bring up some cash so Bo-rics wouldn't lock me in for the night, LOL. All's well, they got paid and Married Son and I had a brief chance to talk. We didn't have a lot of time, but he invited me out for some "Mom and Son" time before he leaves for North Carolina. Yes, he's going. He's been hired (turned in his two week notice with FedEx today), and will start orientation in a few short weeks.
We've got a lot to talk about (thus the Mom and Son only dinner tomorrow night). He knows I am not thrilled in the least with being stuck with DIL for what could be up to a few months, but there's really no choice - and there IS that light at the end of the tunnel. Our brief talk today he did give me "permission" to jump her shit (like I need permission to be the MIL from Hell).
And I've already told her that she best take advantage of "our time together" by packing up everything and NOT piddling the summer away by going off to socialize when she's got work at home to do. She's already been warned that I will not play storage unit anymore either. That what's not taken is going curbside the day she moves.
Oh dear......poor thing - that sure was embarrassing - good that Married son was around. Now very seriously, be careful. Ithink I remember he was doing on the road stuff once before and left DIL and grandson with you.........and you were miserable. Put a time limit down before he leaves......or he's likely to not feel any rush to find them a place once he remembers how nice and quiet it is not having her around.
ReplyDeleteThe heck with what's not taken going curbside when she goes.....if its in your way now I'd put it out front.
Not to ignore your problems, but let's talk about the important stuff....me! :) I MISS MACKINAW! I swear as soon as this house thing is done I'm kidnapping you and we'll spend a few days up there. My family still has that cabin.... Em, you're coming too...its an order! Girls cabin retreat!
ReplyDeleteLast time he went on the road ... she moved back in with her parents a week before, IF I remember right. Then again ... the memory ain't what it used to be! LOL.
ReplyDeleteFunny you mention it ... after I logged off for a while I went downstairs and started sorting through some of the boxes that are cluttering my living room. She asked what I was doing and I told her "well, tomorrow IS garbage day and I'm gonna give the garbage men some more crap." She actually sat down and "helped" me ... and we ended up laughing - sounded almost like we were having fun.
Funny what happens when I say screw it and take charge ... lol ... and afterwards, I came up for a nice soak. Went to the kitchen after to make a "tea. earl. gray. hot." (star trek reference, lol) and noticed she's not only shined the kitchen sink (flylady reference) but had made the stove all nice and pretty.
I guess she finally realizes that if she's not responsible her life will get miserable.
But she still ain't staying a day more than she absolutely has to! No sirree!!
Amy ... it's a deal!!! Where exactly is the cabin? Mackinac City? Close by? I need lighthouses!! And squirrels, gotta have my squirrels. I'll leave my star trek stuff at home. Promise!!
ReplyDeleteNo order necessary, I owe you a visit and have been dying to meet Lisa anyhow - so I'm definitely in..
ReplyDeleteI shall cross my fingers it stays that way because you deserve better days. And the lighthouse pictures are gorgeous....looks like you had perfect weather for traveling. Hard for me to imagine traveling all that time and staying in the same state....Here, 4 hours gets you through four states :).
ReplyDeleteLOL, Em ... it is hard to believe, even for a native Michigander and we didn't even travel from or to the furthest away points ... it was 402 miles from home to Escanaba. And that was a straight shot up I-75. Could you imagine the old days (pre-interstate highway) how long that distance would be ... and how long it'd take you to get there!! Oy! I'd have choked Single Son for sure. He has very little sense of adventure and doesn't like when we end up off the planned course (I don't call it lost, I call it exploring).
ReplyDeleteAnd nope, it didn't stay that way long ... but did we really think she'd stay motivated without that push. S'ok, I'm learning to speak my mind and not worry about hurting feelings. Something I used to worry about ... until I realized in sparing others feelings I was allowing myself to be walked all over.
The closest town is Pellston, its about 15-20 miles from Mackinaw City. It's on Larks Lake.
ReplyDeleteAh, k ... I've heard of Pellston. Beautiful up that way!! It's on ... we just need a time and date after the house is built and it's girl time!!
ReplyDelete