Anyway ... I had decided not to go to the annual Lake Orion fireworks last night. The heat and humidity yesterday gave me an unbearable headache. I figured that sitting in the heat wasn't the smartest thing I could do.
I'm sort of glad I was awake when Single Son came home from working his cop job not twenty minutes ago, 11 hours after he started his shift. He looked tired but wanted his mommy to talk to. I knew it had been a long night by the speed in which he talked (tired or not, when he's adrenalin filled he talks very quickly).
Let me start by explaining that the fireworks are placed on barges and are set off on the lake. It's a beautiful effect, the reflection of the fireworks off the water.
Sooooo ... We had storm warnings up for most of the area all night. We barely got hit here ...but in Lake Orion they had large hail, heavy winds, and heavy downpours. It cleared just before the fireworks were scheduled to start, so the show went on ... only the weather had damaged some of the fireworks. Five minutes into the display, one of the barges caught fire.
Needless to say the rest of the show was cancelled. They'll have another fireworks display next weekend. Good, maybe Cap won't be busy (like he was today) and can go with me to "Part Two" ... lol.
Single Son said the storm that blew through knocked out electricity to half of Lake Orion. So, no traffic lights in town. Traffic was a mess. The good news was, he said, that there were barely 15,000 people there, down from the usual 90,000 + that usually show up. I'd hate to think what time he would get home had turnout not been so low!
Just to add insult to injury there was an apartment fire ... and as Single Son put it, "lots of shit just started burning ... two or three houses, a car ... even a field. Lots of downed power lines, trees fallen over. Mom, it was just crazy."
Good thing I didn't. Or ... maybe I should have ... I missed quite a show.
What's odd is that Alien was there, along with the boys and her hubby. She said nothing about anything on facebook. go figure!
Oh, goody ... five o'clock in the morning and the kitten has finally conked out. I'm outta here to get some precious sleep while I can!
Niters!

Sweet dreams!
ReplyDeleteWe're going to be acquiring a barn kitten, Bob just doesn't know yet I've decided to give in on it. Name of "ax wound"...but it has nothing to do with a real ax. When we get her and I post pics, you'll see...but I'm trying to postpone getting her as long as possible.
Thanks, but sleep ain't much gonna happen. Not with a five week old kitten who figured out how to climb my bed last night. Can't tell ya how many times I woke up with a stabbing feeling on my feet - oh wait!! It's Kitty Purry attacking my feet (get it, Katie Perry. Don't ask, son named her LOL). Wish it were cool enough at night to put the blanket on the bed if only to protect my tootsies!!
ReplyDeleteAwwww, how sweet. I won't spoil the surprise! I'm thinking she's got markings that look like an ax wound ... can't wait to see pics!!
Don't blame you with postponing it as long as possible.