I give up trying to find the humor in my life, it just ain't happening. Well humor does happen, just not when I'm looking for it. It'll have to come find me from here on out. I give up chasing that brass ring.
So, what's got me calling myself the MIL from Hades, you ask?
I blew up. Well, not literally, but I sure as heck verbally erupted like Mt. Saint Helen!
Grandson has been too sick to go to school for three days now. Of course, he's infected everyone else because a certain dingbat thinks that bed rest whilst being sick is too much to ask of him ... remember "he's only 5".
He was on my final nerves today with his jumping and screaming, especially since on top of his cooties I'm now hosting, I also have had a spinal headache for the last day and a half. I'm not happy. I'd prefer to be hiding in my room, but the only chair I can handle sitting in with a spinal headache is in the the main living area of the house.
I told Grandson he's obviously well enough to go back to school. What's that? Damn, it IS Friday isn't it? Well, shit. Get dressed and go outside and play then. But it's obvious the boy needs fresh air and activity.
What do I get? A question from DIL ... "how did you raise three kids when you don't let them do anything?"
Excuse me?? How is standing practically at someone's elbow watching them online, or playing games, writing emails ... whatever ... NOT allowing him to do something? I'd say it's restrictive to the elbow owner, not to mention, it's boring, not entertaining, no educational value, no physical exercise value for the little boy who is stuck there for hours on end.
She asked ... ooohhhhh, did I answer.
"First of all, if they were too sick to go to school, they were too sick to be out of their beds. Second ... they were exposed to other children on a DAILY basis, this means they went out to play - warm, cold, sun, rain, snow - didn't matter ... they didn't get sick because they built up immunity to germs, they didn't die from pneumonia, they didn't get kidnapped. Third ... when I told them to do something they did it. No reasoning with the kid, no explaining or bargaining. They knew the rules and they followed them. And certainly no excuses about their bad behavior because they were "only five". Five is old enough to know better!!! Fourth ... they knew indoor behavior from outdoor behavior. Fifth ... they knew the consequences of breaking the rules. Now, I suggest you sit down with him and explain the HOUSE rules ... MY rules ... one more time. I know you know them, I hear you from time to time actually enforce them. I will not take the excuse he's five when the real excuse is that YOU don't want to be inconvenienced with consistency of disciplining him."
There was more I said, but in the emotions of the moment that's all I really remember.
She's been in her room since then. Four or more hours now. She's been watching movies on her computer, Grandson keeps coming downstairs because "Mommy said you need to fix the x-box (dvr, tv, whatever) because she's watching movies and doesn't want to pause it".
*****
Oh, yeah ... according to an earlier phone conversation with her sister - yes, I listened, that's what happens when you talk on the phone three feet from me in your best "in a crowded arena" voice (loud is an understatement) for two hours - they're looking for apartments. Yay!!! After she ran to their room having her hissy fit, I asked Married Son about it. "Nope, not me Mom. She's been pissed that she can't run the house the way she wants so she's been looking at apartments. But I haven't gone with her. Hell, I'm thinking that if she finds a place, SHE can move. I'm getting as tired of it as you are. Probably more because I have to sleep with it at night."
*****
The spinal headache comes from trying to do too much too quickly at my folks house. I had an hour and a half to strip the bed, wash the sheets, and re-make the bed, wash the floors in two bathrooms, kitchen, and laundry room, PLUS help Mom fill out about two dozen pages of medical questions for her new specialist (lupus).
Married Son had stopped by unexpectedly. Good thing, Dad's electric scooter (amigo) needed to be taken back to the garage but needed help because there's three steps between house and garage. Mom grounded Dad from using it in the house after he destroyed two walls running the Amigo into it. So ... Son did that for her. Talk about happy! Well, Mom anyway. Dad grumbled a bit, he liked having the Amigo in the house.
She gave us a jar of hot peppers. And I mean hot! Well, I think they were hot anyway ... Married Son had one and really got teary-eyed. I had two and my eyes weren't watering at all. So, I think they were hot. LOL. His excuse was he got a seed. LOL!!!
K ... on that I'm outta here. Going to head upstairs, see if I can get comfy enough to watch the new season of CBS shows.

Married Son had stopped by unexpectedly. Good thing, Dad's electric scooter (amigo) needed to be taken back to the garage but needed help because there's three steps between house and garage. Mom grounded Dad from using it in the house after he destroyed two walls running the Amigo into it. So ... Son did that for her. Talk about happy! Well, Mom anyway. Dad grumbled a bit, he liked having the Amigo in the house.
She gave us a jar of hot peppers. And I mean hot! Well, I think they were hot anyway ... Married Son had one and really got teary-eyed. I had two and my eyes weren't watering at all. So, I think they were hot. LOL. His excuse was he got a seed. LOL!!!
K ... on that I'm outta here. Going to head upstairs, see if I can get comfy enough to watch the new season of CBS shows.

i always say the reason i don't get sick is precisely because mom lugged me to the hospitals with her as a kid and i built up immunity...and five is plenty old enough to follow rules--or do they not have any rules at all to follow in school anymore? and i love grandson coming downstairs and basically saying mom is a lazy parent who is ignoring me....
ReplyDeletehang in there!
Exactly why we as kids never got sick, and my kids never got sick!! Well, I didn't drag 'em to hospitals, but Mom told us, and I did tell mine to go outside to burn off all that energy! The only exceptions were thunderstorms or blizzards (or windchill factors that'd have frozen their noses off in no time flat). LOL.
ReplyDeleteLazy mom who's ignoring me, yup you hit that nail on the head!!
She's still upstairs, door open so I can see her on her netbook ... I bet she's thinking I'm going to apologize to her? Ummmmm, I don't think so. Rudeness has no place in my life, and especially in my house ... and that's what her question was - downright rude.
OK - so maybe you can't find the humor in your life, but I have to confess that I definitely found the humor in your writing. Might I suggest you remember that she is only 28 :).
ReplyDeleteThings will seem better once you have conquered that headache poor thing.
Em, thanks ... nice to know that I can still put humor in my writing ... maybe it's not looking for the funny events, but relating the event with some humor. I forget that, a lot.
ReplyDeleteYou're so right, she's only 28 ... silly me!!
Spinal headache is much better today, just the sore achey muscles so often experienced after one of these headaches. Thinking a hot bath sounds soooo good tonight. Then again, maybe now would be a good time for a hot soak, LOL... since I woke up this morning to find the entire Wrecking Crew gone. Not sure where they went, but it's nice and quiet around here!! Never sure when my silence will be shattered!
Hope you'll soon feel better, can't understand parents who don't realise how children have to build up immunity to everything. I'm always ill first couple of weeks back in school.
ReplyDeleteKeep smiling, the young maybe selfish but it's taken time for us to learn what we know now! xx