KUA

KUA

9/8/10

Wednesday

So, Grandson started kindergarten yesterday. Full day kindergarten even. Gramma's loving it. Even better DIL has been given days at work so she can be home when Grandson gets home from school. Not sure how long that'll last (before they give her closing shift again), but for now, I'm sure enjoying my quiet days!!

It's late evening when it gets loud around here. And LOUD is right! Seems DIL is no day person and comes home bitchin' up a storm - about anything and everything.

Married Son asked her last night if she had an indoor voice. Needless to say, the volume got louder after that.

Grandson loves school. He loves that he has kids his age to talk to, something that he doesn't have at home. Well, he does, but DIL refuses to let him play with the kids in the neighborhood. Don't know why, but it's sad when a kid isn't allowed to go play with others his own age. She expects him to go upstairs to play - but that's also his sleep space AND where she sends him when he's grounded. Can't blame the kid for not wanting to go to his room to play, it's not the place I'd want to hang out, either.

Add that I'm presently babysitting Butterball. Yup, Alien is back in school. Today's her first class. from 4:30 to 8:30. Some medical class, not sure what. It's only for a few hours a week, I think I can handle it. However, the next time she brings a diaper bag over that does not contain formula or his bottle, I will hurt her! Ya, there's baby food galore in it, but NO bottles. WTF? And I'm sure not watching Butterball when that Loser has classes (I hear he's gone back to class, too). I refuse to do a freaking thing that benefits him.

Call me a witch.

And I'm just hoping I don't live to regret my offer to help her out so she can go back to school.

*****

I'm still without a cell phone. It sucks, I hate it. And that the house phone died a slow and painful death (cordless, the display died of old age) I can't communicate with the outside world. Makes job hunting interesting (thank heavens for e-mail). Since my Mom doesn't do e-mail it's been a week of non-communication. She finally got smart and called one of the boys cell phones to ask if I'd been arrested or in the hospital. Our last communication was the day I went over to clean. She was afraid I'd had an allergic reaction to the mop, or had gone ballistic on someone for whatever reason (which is more likely to happen with the wrecking crew here).

So ... Mom wasn't happy that she couldn't get a hold of me ... she needed someone to talk to real bad. Seems last Friday she was finally diagnosed with what's wrong. She has lupus. Thankfully in this day and age it's not a death sentence, but she really needs to learn to take better care of herself and to not stress. We're helping by sparing her the details in our lives that stress her, but we've been doing that for a long while now. And I guess that means that I'll be over to their condo a lot more to help her around the house.

I'm really sensing that I'll be moving in with them before long. Whatcha wanna bet?

From wrecking crew (who would have to vacate the house if I'm not there) to the Senior Home. Hmmmm, sounds like it'd be a step or ten closer to an empty nest, eh? Well, at least the folks don't make huge messes, outside of Daddy dropping food when he eats, LOL.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Oh - there's that whole be careful what you wish for thing going on. Glad Grandson likes school. I'm sure there will be times you'll regret offering to help out Alien if/when she starts taking advantage of the situation.....but you're a Mom - and we help out our kids because that's who we are.

    And maybe DIL is worried about the neighborhood and having GS out of her sight - or perhaps she doesn't feel like having to watch him while he's playing with the other kids...but of course kindergarden means making friends and wanting play dates and interaction with other parents....so she'll eventually have to give in on that....just hope she doesn't invite the whole class over to visit (you mentioned you had a very small house).

    You're a better woman than I am - there is no way I could live with my dad...I love him much better at a bit of a distance....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em, I know!! As I was typing this I had "be careful what you wish" flash through my brain! And you're right, we help because that's what Moms do! But I have my limits, and I'm not going to let her push them, as much as I love the little Butterball.

    It's funny about the neighbors, DIL has been asked since the neighbors moved in (three years now) if the kids could play together. Always an excuse as to why not, but at the same time becuase he has no one to play with Grandson ends up hanging practically on their elbows watching them play computer games. No fun for a kid. Let him go outside and play. Hell, if she's worried that she doesn't know the neighbors well, that's no one's fault but her own!! I say tell them they can play outside - but not inside. And then step away from the computer, sit on the stoop with her freaking cell phone and a book and watch the kid get some exercise!! Besides, the neighbor kids are good with listening to adults (the parents are rather strict, too). They're so polite. Cute kids, too. Between me and you, I suspect it's because they're a mixed family - the parents and three of the kids are Hispanic, the other four are adopted African Americans. I can't prove that's her reason, but knowing what comes out of her mouth, it wouldn't surprise me in the least!

    And ya, I love my folks, too ... and IF I should have to move in to take care of them I will do it. That doesn't mean I will really enjoy it. I love them much better from a distance, too! But there I'd have my own basement apartment - gotta love those full finished walk-out basements!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I suspect it's because they're a mixed family - the parents and three of the kids are Hispanic, the other four are adopted African Americans. I can't prove that's her reason, but knowing what comes out of her mouth, it wouldn't surprise me in the least! "

    Well if that is the case, I'm sure that your grandson will eventually drag her kicking and screaming into this millenium. I never had "a problem" with anyone from a different culture, but like a lot of folks I tended to make friends that were like me. My son made all the difference because he just played with whoever was available which had me meeting all sorts of people and discovering how much more interesting life is when you broaden your horizons a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Em, it was soooo cute today. One of the little boys from next door is about Grandson's age. They ride the same school bus (doih, we're neighbors, of course they ride the same bus, lol). DIL meets the bus at the corner (four houses away) to assure Grandson does not go anywhere but straight home ... so today ... DIL gets Grandson off the bus and dashes straight home ... the little neighbor comes to my front door, knocking loudly ... "Can the little boy who lives here and rides the school bus with me come out and play? We can play in the front yard. That's where my Mommie says we need to play." He was sooooo cute. And of course, DIL said no. Claimed it looked like it was about to rain (it was cloudy but not that cloudy). All of this was relayed once Married Son and I got home. We were at the Palace of Auburn Hills, he was donating blood (they don't want MY blood LOL). Grandson cried until Married Son and I got home two and a half hours after he got off the bus, I'm hearing. Poor kid. He needs friends!! And these are GOOD kids. I don't give a flying rats patootie if they're purple with yellow polka-dots ... what lesson is she teaching this child by forbidding him to play with some kids but not others based on ANY reason other than a kid is a total brat.

    ReplyDelete