Only this time it's NOT the Wrecking Crew. Can you believe it? DIL seems much more tolerable in comparison to Gadget. Crazy, right?
Even putting aside the fact I feel as if I actually lose IQ points after a conversation with Gadget, she's past getting on my last nerve.
The more I get to know her, the more I realize she's not playing with a full deck. Far from it ...
*****
Last Sunday we had a small company "emergency" ... had to get the cargo van from my driveway out to North Carolina, but then we'd have to worry about getting the driver back. Gizmo volunteered to drive the van, and fly back. Enter Gadget ... I had been in communication with Gizmo the entire time he was gone. Yet, she had to tell me no less than a dozen times "he's flying in on Delta Flight (such and so). We need to ... " After the first six or so times I was fed up. "We're in communications. I know what's going on" ... that led to "SHUT UP already!! I have it under control".
I have things under control has become my anthem around her. Doesn't matter what's going on, she feels the need to take control (whether it involves her or not). And her in charge isn't pretty. I've never seen anyone screw shit up as much as this one does. And yes, she even tries to take control of every STARFLEET thing that's going on. To the point I've told her that I'm in charge and IF I should need her input I will ask her directly. Otherwise, STFU!!
Anyway ... the drive to the airport should have been me going alone. She was supposed to work, but ended up getting the day off. Damn. So of course she just has to accompany me. The entire fifty minute drive was her talking (non-stop) about the things that Gizmo does that she doesn't understand - or worse wants to change. Hello? Try to change someone?? Any mature adult knows that you can't change anyone to what YOU want them to be ... adapt, ignore or leave. And I told her so!! I think I began that little lecture with "you're in idiot if you think you can change someone". Of course, it fell on deaf ears ... a subject change or two later she's right back to "he needs to change". Oy!
*****
Today's bitch may seem rather piddly ... it has to do with a bottle of cold medication. Nyquil to be exact. I had a big unopened bottle that I had stored away. Enter the latest cooties that struck here about a week ago. MY big bottle ends up being snagged by Gadget and Gizmo. As much as I needed it, I only got two and a half doses out of the entire bottle. I told her she needed to replace MY Nyquil (she's working, she's got a car AND money dammit) ... and instead she comes home with a medium size store brand bottle that if I need a dose, I have to hunt down the freaking bottle.
And never so much as a thank you for the original bottle of cold remedy.
And after nine months of this, I'm done with sharing with her ... food, medicine, cherry tomatoes (yes, MY crop of cherry tomatoes!!), you name it ... she feels entitled to whatever is around the house. At least DIL realizes that if it's not something she's purchased, she's to leave her hands off it. Not Gadget ... nope. And telling her about ownership or what's off limits doesn't matter one bit to her.
In one ear and out the other. And I swear it builds up speed along the way.
*****
And that's only ONE of her more endearing qualities. Over-bearing, domineering, paranoid, worry-wart, smothering drama queen. Sad thing is, she knows it, too!! I alone have had many conversations with her about letting her 20 year old son GROW UP (he moved out when he was 17 because of her smothering - and he IS a good "kid", someone any other mother would be damned proud of), about letting go of those things she cannot control, and of learning to adapt herself to the situation instead of forcing change because she cannot cope.
*****
I know ... I should be pleased as punch that Gizmo has found someone to love and care for ... but damn, he could have really done sooooo much better. And I'm NOT saying anything. It's his decision who he wants in his life. But he's got a bad habit of "picking up strays" ... you know, those little critters that someone abandons (usually for a reason), and tries to nurse back to health. Yup.
*****
Well, this bronchitis is kicking my butt again ... time to go hunt down the nyquil. (gonna be cross posting until multiply shuts off the power, lol, so look for me here or on blogger at http://lcm1219.blogspot.com/ )
Poor thing - I hope soon you'll have an empty nest because over the past few years you are learning a lot more about your adult kids and their partners than is necessary :). I mean, once you see and hear this stuff - you can't unsee or unhear it. You're just too easy to talk to I guess......and Gadget (and the Wrecking crew before her) feel so at home with you that there's no boundaries in terms of your house, your possessions, or even relationships as the last thing I want my DIL to do is give me details of her issues with my son - that's their business. Not that an occasional gripe about sloppiness or working too hard that we can nod our heads and smile about is a problem....but I don't know about you, but if I was an expert on relationships - I'd have one myself :)......
ReplyDeleteEm, that's about it, too ... I know more than I want to, more than any parent should know about their adult kids (and partners). I'm not an expert in relationships either, but I tell ya ... I just don't want to or need to solve every little problem someone else has in their relationship. At this point, although I'd probably welcome an occasional grip, I don't even want that anymore. Respect for myself, my property, and possessions .. is that too much to ask?
ReplyDelete