1) Dad keeps a health log. Blood pressure and blood sugar readings. Daily. I've been keeping one since being diagnosed with Diabetes.
2) My phone book has more doctor's numbers than phone numbers of my friends and family. Damn, and the doc added two more specialists I'm to begin seeing immediately. That brings the number of doctors and hospitals to 8! That's not counting the pharmacy, my insurance company and my diabetic supply company. I only have 7 family and friends in my cell phone book.
3) Monday has always been "Doctor Day" for my folks, even when we kids were growing up. I just got back from my doctors appointment. My next appointment (in May no less) is for a Monday. Both of the new specialists are Monday appointments. And yes, I planned it that way.
4) My folks both make lists of things they want to discuss with their many doctors. I had a list of questions for my doctor today. I've never written anything down before. Glad I did, I'd have forgotten half of what I wanted to ask him!!
5) Daddy owns nothing but white socks. Doc told me today because of a foot infection (side effect of diabetes, medication, and bad circulation) and the dyes in colored socks I'm to wear nothing but white socks from now on. Somebody shoot me if I ever buy those old fart support hose, please??
It really sucks to realize you've turned into your elderly parents. Growing old sure isn't for wimps!! LOL.
The good news is that I'm finally within the target ranges for blood glucose levels. Only took four months of adjusting my meds. Of course, I did cheat a little. LOL. When I know I have to see the doc, I eliminate all carbs for about 48 hours (a tip from Dad). I'm not big on sugary or sweet stuff, so that's not a problem to avoid, LOL. But, Doc's happy with the readings. Shhhhhhhhhhhhh ... don't tell him I cheated!! LOL! And no, I don't go hog wild on carbs afterwards. Well, minus that snack sized bag of cheddar baked potato chips I had on the drive home. What's really odd is that I felt funny before and during the appointment - lightheaded, headache, irritable - some of the signs of low blood sugar ... but the A1C reading the nurse took was within the target range (125 or 6.5%) ... I wonder what's up with that??
I only lost a pound since my last visit in January. Ah well, at least it wasn't a gain. And honestly since surgery I've regained all appetite I'd lost before. So naturally, any loss was a relief. What's funny is previous visits to Doc I'd lost between 5 and 10 pounds each time, only to be told "you need to lose more weight". I thought for sure after the nurse weighed me today I'd get the same lecture from Doc. Nope. "Good girl!! Keep losing weight". Say what?? It's *only* a pound I lost ... and NOW I'm being told "atta girl". Geesh.
I wasn't able to show "Vampira" the beaded diabetic bracelets. She called out of work today for whatever reason. I'll have to make a special trip to show her. No biggie.
Better scoot. I have a test tomorrow in Business (Econ). Need to study ...

Oy, I don't wanna get to that point of needing so much medical attention. But I guess we do what we gotta do, eh?
ReplyDeleteLOL, Aquacatt ... I never thought I'd be seeing so many doctors either!! There's the primary care doc, the diabetes educator (not a doc, but a specialist), the phlebotomist (again, a specialist, lol), the ophthalmologist, the urologist, and now a podiatrist and a plastic surgeon. All but that last one are for diabetes and either diabetic related complications or prevention! And each has their own office or lab ... so that's a bunch of trips a month for one appointment or the other. Thank heavens for awesome insurance!!
ReplyDeleteI gotta agree with you getting older aint for wimps!! You've handled all these changes really well and kept an upbeat attitude which is so great!! Hugs =)
ReplyDeleteHelen, aw shucks, thanks. I try to keep upbeat. Gotta deal with what life hands you. And laugh in the process.
ReplyDeletehey!--just so happens i'm wearing support hose right this moment! of course, they were sheepishly bought only a few weeks ago and worn surreptiously until I found out all my co-workers had them on, too...even the younger ones!
ReplyDeletebut yeah, I felt old when I broke down and bought them. still do. but....!
Your welcome and hey laughter is supposed to be the best medicine, I'm inclined to agree with that!
ReplyDeleteAmy, then again you are on your feet all day long ... I'm sure if I were I'd have given in, too. Hell, I'd have loved to have had some when I was cashering ... eight hours (or more) a day standing in one spot behind the cash register was no fun.
ReplyDeleteHelen, yup, laughter *is* the best medicine. And contagious as hell, too!! Hugs!!
ReplyDeleteI think we will all eventually turn into our parents. What a funny observation, though!
ReplyDeleteAnd HEY!!! I ALREADY wear those blasted support hose! And they feel GREAT!!!
*giggle*
LOL, okay ... I may have to give in yet!! Seems I'd be in good company at least. Hehehehe ...
ReplyDelete