KUA

KUA

11/30/08

Sunday Stuff ...

Wasn't even gonna blog this weekend. Just way too busy with homework and organizing the house for three more bodies moving in soon. Only two more weeks until the end of the semester. Lots and lots of work to get done. I'll be sooooo glad when this term is over.

Anyway ... what's got me blogging instead of studying? I got a phone call that has me still laughing.

Some jerk asking for me by my first name. Asked if I had a son named "J" (same name as Single Son). I asked WHY he wanted to know. He says "the bastard got my daughter pregnant". WTF? It must be a joke or prank of some sort. I know for a fact that his ex-GF's father is *not* in her life - besides I know she's NOT pregnant. So, instead of panic mode ... I go into "detective" mode. What's "J"s last name? He doesn't know and has to ask his wife. Before he can find out I ask him what his daughter's name is, how old this "J" is ... and a bunch of other questions. He's getting pissed because I'm interrogating him - instead of offering the head of my son "J" on a silver platter. So ... long story short - he has the WRONG number! Seems the last name he is looking for, coincidently, was my last name while I was married to Bubba. I took back my maiden name when I divorced him. So ... I am not the Lisa he's looking for, nor is "J" the daddy of this dude's soon to be grandkid. I wish I had been a fly on the wall when he realized he was bitching out the wrong person. Think I pushed it a little too far when I told him "Good Luck. Hope you find the "J" who made you a grandpa".

Never a dull moment.

So the house is quiet with Alien moved out, I only see her on the weekends. And the three kittens are gone now too. They were adopted by that Cat Lady at the shelter. I hear they go home with her tomorrow.

Only ... with Married Son, DIL and Grandson preparing to move back in that quiet won't last long! I forgot how LOUD DIL can be. She's a yeller ... can't talk with her *indoor voice* to save my eardrums. Yells at Grandson  ... yells at the dog ... yells at Married Son. A lot.

Makes homework difficult to get done I tell ya. With the deadline for these projects drawing near, I had to ask Married Son to give me a night off (they've been over every day since they asked to move back in - cleaning up Alien's old bedroom, the junk room and helping me organize the house so we can get some of their stuff in here). So ... tonight it's just Married Son that's here - using the internet hook up on his laptop. DIL and Grandson are over at her parent's house doing laundry. Quiet. Ahhhhhhh ... something that's not going to last long around here, I fear.

Yes, I am wondering where my senses went when I said yes to them staying here until they find a new place. But ... they couldn't have stayed in the house they were at, it was just too unhealthy (sewer backups, dilapidated garage, the neighborhood, water heater not working, etc), especially with winter coming.

I've started to lay the ground rules for once they're living here. When I have homework to do I can't be interrupted. Period. She has to clean up after Grandson ... I won't tolerated toys laying on the floor if he's done playing with them. It's a safety issue. And Goddess help if that puppy crap in the house or start chewing on my furniture or carpeting. She'll have to crate it when she's not here (or for the night). Don't get me wrong, I like dogs. But I'm *not* a dog person. Not on a daily basis. Food - they buy their own. I'm not feeding them. They'll pay their share of the bills, too. I haven't told them yet, but I do have a limit of one year for them to find a new home. As it stands right now, Married Son believes this arrangement will be for only about six months. I'm hoping, but I'm not holding my breath!

I keep closing my eyes and dreaming of the empty nest.

Some day ...

12 comments:

  1. it seems to me that when I first connected with you - the three of them were living with you....and as much as you love them - I think I recall it being very frustrating for you - particularly because of the "not cleaning up after themselves" issue.

    So I'm glad to see that you are setting down some guidelines this time - hopefully that will help. And while you are making rules - why not address the need for "indoor voices" with DIL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em, I swore that the last time they left I wouldn't let 'em back. That that was it, they're gone. Yet, because of the Grandson I reconsidered. Grrrrrrr ...

    We've already had a few discussions about the RULES ... as in this is MY home, you will not be making changes, but you will adapt to MY rules.

    And it's already been a topic of discussion! DIL hates my cat, Ringo, and said something about if he tries anything funny he's gone. WRONG! And Married Son corrected her real quick on that. "Mom's house, Mom's cat, Mom's rules ... you don't like it then you can go live with your parents". Which means she'd take Grandson ... long story, but her parents house at this point in time is not a desirable place for the Boy. Besides, Married Son has a restraining order against her brother (another long story, but he lives with the folks still) ... so Married Son can't live there even if it were a desirable place to live with his son.

    DIL is of a type that I doubt is capable of lowering their voices - the whole damned clan is LOUD as hell. I can handle about ten minutes of one of her family get-togethers before the headache starts. Teaching her *indoor voice* has been interesting ... four years they've been married. Four years of telling her "girl, I'm not deaf yet. Use your library voice".

    Damn ... sounds like a freaking soap opera, doesn't it? Who needs to turn on the tv set? Days of Our Lives? One Life To Live? Bold and Beautiful?

    Phooey ... I got "Loud and Uncultured" ...

    I hate drama! But it seems to love me.

    At least I'll have something to blog about, eh? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah yeah yeah... I think with Alien gone now you didn't have enough blog material and that's why they're moving back. LOL

    After two blissful years of empty nest living, there is no way anyone will ever move back here. I love my drama-free life too much now! But I still like reading other people's drama! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, grandson or not - I doubted you'd leave them out in the cold....and if they pitch in with the bills, it's going to be a help for you. Just don't let her scare you with threatening to move to her parents - if it is a bad environment for her son, then she's not much of a mother to be choosing the "ease of life" for herself over the best interests of her child......and that's not something you'll be able to protect him from longterm anynow.

    And as for the rest, I suggest earplugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. its nice of you to open your home to your son and his family. Even though things will be topsy turvey for awhile...keep dreaming that dream that some day it will be the empty nest again....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ground rules and enforcing them and earplugs sounds like a great plan to me !!
    Hope it works better this time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pengy ... gee, thanks ... I could have lived with boring!! Really!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SKMV, thanks. I get the feeling I'm gonna need all the luck I can get ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bill, thanks. The ever elusive dream ... the empty nest. It's funny, as we all pulled out of my folks driveway by 8 PM on Thanksgiving Day, I couldn't help but feel a tad bit jealous of them ... they had their nice quiet house back after only a few hours. I can only wish!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Helen, ground rules won't be that hard to set up, I'm finding. Married Son and DIL have had more than a few discussions about "mom's house". He and Grandson are over again right now. We had a nice long talk about what I expect ... he's behind me all the way. Sounds like he's sick of some of her antics as it is. This could get interesting ... (and yes, Pengy, blog material!!)

    ReplyDelete