Well, it's that time of the year ...
The phone rings ... "I'm Josh and I'm calling for the Police Benevolent Fund in (this) County. We realize times are hard, but we need to collect (a certain) amount of dollars for needy children in the area. For a contribution now of only $15 you can help these children. We'll even send you a County Sheriff's Department bumper sticker showing your support. Vehicles with these bumper stickers tell the local authorities you support *their* Benevolent Fund. It's no guarantee you won't get a ticket, but it could help in the event you're pulled over". The call went on and on ...
I asked him to send me information and I'd look it over before making my donation. While he didn't flat out refuse, he did skirt the issue by emphasizing the support sticker and that it was *only* $15. He never would commit to sending out information without my first making a nominal donation of $15.
Needless to say, I told him IF I donate it will be directly through the Sheriff's Department. That personally I thought he's running a damned scam based on his refusal of sending me information before making a donation. Oh, how I wish I had caller ID on my phone, I'd have called the local PD and told them about it!
First of all ... never give out any of your personal information to any one who calls you, no matter how sincere they may seem. This goes, too, for someone calling you claiming to be from your bank ... call them back at a number you have (or look up yourself!!)
Second ... ASK for information to be sent to you. I refuse to give my address. After all, they called me ... they must have some sort of record on hand. If not, oh well ...
Third ... Police Benevolent Funds (or Societies), and The Fireman's *whatever* fund do not solicit donations over the phone.
Fourth ... Anyone claiming (or insinuating) special *powers* with a police or fire department support sticker for your vehicle are ... well, they're full of crap.
When in doubt decline. If it's a charity you really want to support - YOU APPROACH THEM! Police and Fire Departments will be able to tell you where your donations can be made (if you call, just be sure to use their non-emergency business numbers).
And yes, I got the above phone call today ...
For any fund claiming to be connected with your local police or fire department, please call that department to check. We have had several groups that are only loosely connected to law enforcement use the name of our sheriff or police chiefs without their permission.
ReplyDeleteT. thanks for that heads up!
ReplyDeleteNever give any info over the phone to anyone is my motto
ReplyDeleteI agree. When anyone calls ask for some information to be sent to you. If they balk at that, then slam down the phone because its a scam.
ReplyDeleteHelen, Not only don't give 'em any info ... including your name. If they ask for ... oh, say ... "Susie" I'll say she's not here or "wrong number". If they ask "who are you" I say to them, "Doesn't matter who I am ... who are you looking for?" If they can't give me the right answer, I hang up.
ReplyDeleteBill, exactly!! And 'tis the season for it ...
ReplyDelete