KUA

KUA

1/15/09

What a beautiful day ...

IF you're a penguin, that is. Woke up to -3 degree temperatures. Highs today around 8 degrees. Windchill factor of -25. Yup ... perfect day if you're an ice cube! Even I, who loves the colder temps, is chilled to the bone! My best friend today is my long johns!


Deer on Campus

Little of this and a little of that today ... Married Son will not be bringing the dog with him when they move (yeah!!). They left him alone overnight the other night (the dog not the son). He practically destroyed their kitchen. What he didn't destroy he pooped on. DIL has posted an ad on Freecycle hoping someone will take him. I feel for Grandson, though ... a little boy and his puppy are being separated. Married Son has moved the cat over here, though. Looks like the big move will happen within the next week or two. Then the chaos begins. LOL ...

School ... I blogged about my Monday classes. Need to catch up on the other three. LOL. Tuesday was Business Law. Not a bad class. Teacher is a retired lawyer. I'll call him Mr. Law from here on out. He's another rambler, but had some really neat stories about some of the cases he had represented in court. But, it really was a blow-off day, as most first days are. And he's really enthusiastic about law ... so I guess it's all good. Lots of bookwork in the class. But tests sound rather easy ... scantron test (multiple choice). We didn't do the introduce yourself thing, guess he doesn't want to know who his students are or what they are interested in. LOL!

Wednesday was Marketing Theory. Talk about an interesting class. Mr. Marketing (instructor, not his real name, btw) is a wanna-be comedian and a major sports fan. Lots of assignments, mostly in-class work, including the dreaded group presentations. Grrrrrr. Mr. Marketing had the most interesting "introduce yourself" session. Questions were typical at first ... name, degree, why are you in this class, what job you work, special talents and hobbies you have, tell us something personal about yourself, etc. He had a *fun* question ... "if you could live the rest of your life in a movie, what movie would you live in and why". After you introduced yourself, classmates were free to ask you any question they wanted. My intro started typical, name and all that stuff. Then I went on to say, "My special talents include surviving raising my three children, and being grandma to a 3 year old grandson (he interrupts here with "we'll talk later, I have two young sons that confuse me and would love the input of an experienced parent". I don't know if I'm best qualified, after all, look at my weird kids. Anyway, back to my confessions, LOL ... ). I'm also a certified Trekkie, belonging to Starfleet" - blah blah blah as I further explained what Starfleet is. (Insert giggles from classmates here). "If I could live in a movie, I'd live in any of the Star Trek movies". Questions? LOL! I had a bunch of them, more than most of the others in class, too funny. Mr Marketing is also the only teacher so far that's actually gone on to lecture, deciding not to blow off the first day. Another fun class I suspect. He kept his first lecture lively.

Today was Stress Management. Started off rather well. I had pulled into the parking lot with time to spare. Figuring I'd have a quick smoke before heading into class so I stayed in the car for a bit to keep warm while I smoked. Off to my left I see some movement in the distance. I look over to see what it is. It's a deer! Now, remember, I live in what is pretty much a city ... I don't see a lot of wildlife outside of the rodent population (squirrels, field mice, raccoons, and an occasional chipmunk). So of course I was excited!! I grabbed my camera and just started taking pictures. Walked into class this morning totally relaxed. Teacher prefers being called *Coach* as she's been a long time basketball coach. We did the usual intro exercises. Name, major, and something unique about yourself. Care to fathom a guess as to what I said? Yup ... Star Trek. Stress Management, nope this class won't be too difficult either. A textbook, some relaxation techniques, some physical activity. We're to keep a journal for two weeks and 10 hours community service (with presentation afterwards). She said we can get creative with our journals (goodie)! I stopped at the dollar store after class and bought a dark blue scrapbook. I'm gonna keep me a sort of "Captain's Log" (star trek naturally - but mine will have to be a chief warrant officers log, LOL). Even bought some spacey stickers to liven it up a bit. LOL! We did a really neat puzzle type exercise that I'll blog later. I have to type it out first.

Got home to Single Son telling me to call my mother. Guess Daddy fell getting into bed at about 1 AM and Mom had to call 911 to get him off the floor. Heaven knows she's unable to do it. I just got off the phone with him. He's fine. Bruised his pride more than anything else.

Wow, I haven't said this in a while ... off to do homework.


10 comments:

  1. That's amazing to see a deer, it's hard for the animals when it's so cold. When it was so bad here last week, a lot of the wild ponies came down close to the village.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is cold, I wouldnt even want it that cold. Hope it doesnt stay that way too long!
    Stress management sounds like a fun class and Mr Marketing sounds as if he is going to run a good ship.
    Love the deer and hope he founded it home safe.
    Glad your dads okay and didnt do any damage apart from bruising and his pride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both Helens ... lol, talk about lazy eh? Deer is fine. He lives in the woods right by the school. I hear they throw out straw and other food for him daily. There's also wild fox in "them thar woods". I've yet to see any, but you know I'll be looking!

    Helen Jo, They really are beautiful creatures. This one was fairly tame. Not that I'd go up to him, but at least he didn't bolt for the woods when people were walking into and out of the building.

    Helen Jane, They're talking into next week before we see temps around the high twenties. It'll be a heatwave after these temps!! Right now it's 2 degrees (F). There's no way I'd let you near the area with it being so cold!! You'd freeze before you were half way out of the door!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing that its currently sitting on 100+ here and like an oven when you walk out the door, I would freeze on the spot LOOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Over a hundred degrees? Yipes!! That's HOT!
    LOL ... to freezing on the spot!! It's now just after midnight. Actual temps (not including wind chill factored in) are at minus one degree. Wanna come over? It's a toasty 62 degrees in the house (that's what we set the thermostat at) ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to come visit, that would be a perfect life I think, spend the times of year you dont like away in a diff place and just be home when all the planets align and everything is perfect LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that sounds sooooo good. And you've just described half of the population of Michigan (at least the retired population). They winter in the warmth of Florida, and summer back here in Michigan. They're called *snowbirds* ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Talk about freezing....last night our power went out just as I went to bed. Came back on just in time to go to work. Luckily I didn't oversleep because our temps were below zero overnight and I froze all night long. Didn't get a wink of sleep. I want to go to Hawaii :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kitty, glad you survived the power outage. Nothing worse than no power, especially in sub zero temps!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We hit 107.6 yesterday, its cooled off a little today but am so not looking forward to Feb we usually have weeks of high temps then..

    ReplyDelete