KUA

KUA

9/10/10

Dear Santa ...

Santa, I realize that school has barely started, but I wanted to get this note off to you as soon as possible.

For Christmas this year I really really really would like the following ...

Silence ... three less occupants in the house that create deafening levels of noise would be a good start - so to get that silence I'm thinking a nice two bedroom apartment or house across town. We don't need to worry about the one occupant I seldom see and rarely hear.

My Space back ... and I don't mean that social networking place. I mean my space - my bathroom cabinets, my kitchen cabinets, my refrigerator, table tops, floor space ... my living space. All of it.

FlyLady and S.H.E (Sidetracked Home Executives) books and accessories. If I have my silence and my space back I'll need plenty of guidance with organizing my home. These wonderful ladies are a great start to taking the CHAOS out of my life.

 ... which leads me to ...

My sanity ... I know, this is stretching it a bit. You're not a miracle worker, but you're the best hope I have for having a healthy dose of sanity again.

And last but not least, Dear Santa, I need a Life ... yes, a life ... a job ... a purpose other than to supervise the present Wrecking Crew that invade my every space.

Thank you, Santa,

Yours Forever,

Still Believing at 50

10 comments:

  1. Well, you have a job...but I imagine you mean one that pays a salary and gets you out of the house......I know that's something you've been working on finding - hope Santa can help.

    Hey - wait a minute.....how about being a resident property manager somewhere? You certainly have plenty of experience with tenants ;).....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, a paycheck is what I need!! Badly! LOL. Unemployment sucks, and having my own paycheck means I can tell the Wrecking Crew adios. Or as I put it to Married Son something along the lines of ... "once I'm gainfully employed and pulling my own finances again, I'll be damned if I'm gonna support anyone else. Contribute or out." Of course that led to a shitfit of adult purportions (he looked like an enlarged Grandson having a fit) ...

    Ah ... a resident property manager might do the trick ... wonder if they'd consider the Wrecking Crew as my experience? Heaven knows I can be a witch when I need to be ... just love enforcing those rules - regardless of whose rules they are. Hmmmmmm ...

    And here I was thinking that once I can finally get the whole FlyLady and S.H.E. thing down, S.H.E. will train other SHEs to act as mentors and even earn income as instructors at the community level. I could dig getting in front of a room full of other disorganized souls and lead them out of CHAOS (btw, that stands for Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome). But I can't mentor until I get my FlyShit together ...

    I'll check for property manager positions in the want ads, as well as resident property managers ... AND plug away at all those apps for cashiers that I've been working on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My own experience is that once you have a job, any job, it's easier to get another one. So even if its a cashier gig, chances are its a path to something else.

    I do think you'd make a great property manager - you have the educational background to understand the law and maintain the necessary paperwork - and you've certainly had a lot of experience in maintaining your own home so you'd be very good whith minor tenant issues rather than making them wait for the maintenance or repair guy. And along those line - I'd imagine there is a lot of call for non-resident property managers...people who have relocated or bought new homes and can't sell the old ones in this market are likely to be hiring management companies to handle their rentals - which means those companies would be hiring people to manage.

    And I think your idea of mentoring/instructing is a great one (and I like the acronym)...that's certainly something you could do on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Em, thanks for your vote of confidence ... I'm really needing it right about now. I'm so frustrated with the job hunting that I've actually said I'd shovel horse manure if they'd hire me. Just so those shovelfuls don't weigh over my limit I'd be okay, LOL!!

    I have had a lot of experience with home maintenance, that's for sure - and we know I think well in an emergency. Tree down? Leaky plumbing? Window shot out by an air-soft gun? No problem - Lisa knows who to call!!

    I did happen to look, found one that was non-residental. I met certain qualifications, but they want five years experience. I still applied, you know how those people placing ads often overstate the qualifications? Or at least that's what one of my profs suggested, that one should apply even if one's experience "falls short". We'll see ... beats shoveling horse crap.

    Computer went down for a bit tonight, so I pulled out my FlyLady book and started to read it once again from the top. DIL saw it and commented to Married Son "Oh lawdy, she's gonna start shoving fly shit down our throats" I just looked at her like she was an idiot, then I said "damned straight. Better get used to my buzzing around your arse until I have your full cooperation."

    Have I said how much I enjoy this part of MIL from Hell?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you.....you've actually got quite a bit of experience- it was just unpaid. And depending on how your resume (or their application or both) are configured, you can address that in your cover letter or under "skills". I understand the job market is particularly tight out there and that you have a tougher mountain to climb because you have an employment gap and are likely older than the folks who will be interviewing/hiring you. But I've no doubt that the tricks are to connect with people who are already working in fields you might want to work in, and making your application good enough that they grant you a face to face...because you are smart and wellspokein and I'm sure you shine in an interview.

    I think there a bit less respect for you in your household than there should be - don't let that negative energy affect you. You don't have to say it out loud but keep thinking that your DIL is however old and still having to live in other people houses.....so she's not one to be judging anyone else....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Em, the gap can be explained away as having taken time off to attend college full time. Hehehe ... and the age, well, I'm hearing that's really not too big of an issue anymore. Employers aren't going so much for longevity within the workplace as they are for experience and knowledge a potential employee can offer. It's not our parent's job environment anymore.

    Boy did you hit the nail on the head with DIL ... RESPECT. Something she lacks, among other qualities, like the drive or desire to live in the big world on their own. Married Son is guilty of that, too. Then again, that would mean she would have to take responsibility for ... gasp ... cleaning, and sharing the bill paying, and all those adult activities she avoids like the plague.

    Let her TRY to judge me ... been there a few times where she's tried. Bit her in the fanny, it did. I have a mouth, and thanks to my Mother's outspokenness I have learned by example how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you will come up with a job, I didn't work for 17 years and when my husband died had to start again. I was a janitor in a supermarket (Walmart's Asda in the UK) at 49 I was cleaning/tidying up after everyone! Then I was offered a job as a classroom assistant in the local school - and now, as you know, at 57 I'm the school secretary. I love what I'm doing but just wish I was starting out with a job like this 20 years ago!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. One or two of my previous jobs started out as a seasonal hire. They loved my work, and kept me long after the season was over. However, at this point in my life, my grouchiness and toy stores with screaming brats in tow may not be the right environment for me past an immediate paycheck. I can barely handle the Brat-in-residence, could you see me with a stranger's whiney kid? LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol, you have to smile when you're being paid! I have many times in school when I have to 'bite my tongue' and not say what I'm thinking! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good point, Helen Jo, good point!! A paycheck at the end of the week makes things much more tolerable! LOL.

    ReplyDelete