KUA

KUA

10/27/10

Wednesday Stuff ...

So the interview went well. It was weird, two parts ... "R" did the first interview, "A" did the second. The first part was nothing more than several questions consisting of "name a time when something happened", that something being a select problem (mistake you made and didn't realize it until afterwards, a team work situation that didn't work well, a situation that arose out of an emergency, etc), how you handled it, and what the outcome was. The second interview was the same - only with a different person asking the same "name a time" questions. Weird. Very weird. You'd think that part A and part B would be different in some ways other than the interviewers.

So, I was told by "A" that I will receive a phone call tomorrow if I got the job, and a postcard in a few days if I am not hired.

Trying to think positive here. It was a pretty good interview ... and even with hiring only so many people (and interviewing prospective employees all day long) ... I feel good. I have a lot of experience, and made sure to mention that "my drawers are seldom off" ... meaning my cash drawers are rarely off balance ... even by a penny or so. Not a lot of cashiers can say that! They usually give a window of error of 25 cents (short or over) ... I never was off by a whole quarter.

"A" did ask an interesting question. "If you had to be over or under on your end of shift balance sheet which would you prefer and why" ... my response was "I'd rather be short. To be over would mean that I shorted a customer his proper change." From the look on his face, I'd say that was the right answer.

"R" seemed to love my comment about "retail is in my blood" ...

So ... I'll know by tomorrow night.

Keep crossing whatever ya'll have been crossing!! Please?!?!?!?

*****

And of course being today's Wednesday Alien calls. Seems she's always calling on Wednesdays to beg for some money. I lost it today. "I don't have a job, why do you think I'd have a ten or twenty to throw your way? Stop asking!! I don't have money for me, and I don't have money for you".

Well, not entirely true, I do have money for me, but it's staying in my wallet!! And I'm sure not going to be giving her any once I am employed. I will be working for me ... NOT for her and that deadbeat she's hooked up with.

But I have to approach this carefully once I am working. I may have to rely on her to get me to work or pick me up if Single Son and I have a car use conflict - which is bound to happen sooner or later. Or, I just thought of this, she can drive Single Son to and from work. Makes no never-mind to me. Just so we both get to where we need to be when we need to be there. Of course, she will get gas money ... but JUST gas money. I'm not paying taxi fares to her!! But that's in the future, right?

And as usual, I have to think about all contingencies. One of my downfalls.

 

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you were pretty comfortable in the interview and that makes a big difference. If it's a big company, my guess would be that the interview questions are scripted rather than freelance (to avoid any problems with inappropriate ones - HR departments are quite paranoid these days). I'm crossing everything for you and am glad that you'll be finding out soon - waiting around sucks.
    As for Alien - If you can get SSon to work out some deal with Alien as needed I think that would be a better solution than you being in the middle of it all. She clearly hasn't quite grasped reality if she's still asking you for money and blowing up at her was not only a normal reaction -I think perhaps it was a good idea - she really does need to start understanding how life works.
    I don't know if your folks still have a car - but I would guess that if they needed to help you out occasionally. I've no doubt you'll find a way to make it all work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you heard anything yet???????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't heard as of yet ... 3 PM ... but the day isn't over yet. Considering the original call to come in for an interview was after 6 PM, I'm figuring this large national chain store could be calling me back as late as 9 PM.

    Back when I took HR classes, this type of interview was discussed. What they didn't discuss was the repeating of the exact same questions with multiple interviewers. Just seems strange to be asked the same questions each time. You'd think they'd ask different questions. Or split 'em up, have Interviewer A ask half, Interviewer B ask the other half.

    My mother still does drive, but I'd hate to involve her. They live too far away for me to be comfortable asking an eighty year old woman to taxi me around.

    And the more I think of Alien having to drive me, the more I rule it out. Being a high risk pregnancy, should she really be behind the wheel on heavy-traffic roads, in construction zones, and with winter coming up ... well ... not a good idea as far as I'm concerned. Yes, pregnancy is only a temporary "problem", but then she'd have to get TWO kiddos dressed for the weather, into their car seats, and out in whatever weather we're having that day.

    For now I could also use Married Son and DIL's driving services. Heavens knows I've been taxi to them on more than a few occasions.

    Nope, maybe I'll hire a taxi on the days I need a ride. Have Single Son drive me in and taxi cab it for the way home. Could prove to be the best solution, even cheaper when you consider everyone else's time, money and health factors ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I imagine they wanted to compare their thoughts....and even if you don't hear today - that doesn't mean no - but it does mean you could call them tomorrow. I was thinking that you'd borrow your mom's car as needed - not that she'd taxi you about.

    One way or another I'm sure you'll manage the work thing - I'm assuming you don't have good (read safe) bus service where you are.......I agree - not a good idea to have Alien out and about even if she is willing......and frankly, if she's bumming money from you - they don't have enough to live on and she should be considering finding some sort of work herself.....which would also make it tough for her to drive you around.

    Or perhaps you'll find yourself and Single Son affluent enough to buy a second car :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is the SEMTA (SouthEast Michigan Transit Authority) bus system I could use, if worse comes to absolute worse, but it's a system I'd rather not use.

    Mass Transportation sadly lacks in MoTown.

    The busses are old, they're dirty and smelly, they aren't the most reliable schedule wise (they only run about every hour to hour and a half) ... but I hear their fares aren't too bad. LOL. Hell, I'm not even sure where the closest stop is anymore, not since the local Maul went ghost town on us.

    The good news for this mode of transportation would be it's only four miles away to the workplace, and on the same road that I live just a quarter of a mile off of.

    But I'm going to pay attention next time I'm out ... see where the bus stop signs are, not only close to home, but at my target destination. Look closely, they're no bigger than your average no parking sign - no covered bus stops here!!

    Thankfully, this whole transportation problem would be once, rarely twice, a week.

    I so can't wait until we can afford the repairs on Single Son's vehicle. Yes, WE ... I'm willing to help him with the costs (he does help me out where bills are concerned, so why not help him get his vehicle back on the road) ... or he finally decides buy a nice used vehicle.

    ReplyDelete