KUA

KUA

12/17/07

Catching up ...

LOL!!! Guess I've been a little sketchy with information on why I need surgery ... so ... without giving ya'll the gory details ... I've got what's called a "partially strangulated umbilical hernia" ... a hernia involving part of my intestines - they've become partially twisted by the surrounding herniated muscles. We need to do this surgery before the intestines become fully strangulated (twisted). The big hang up comes from a battery of tests I've had to go through. They're still unsure (will be until surgery, I guess) IF they need to remove any of my intestine or not.  Fun, fun. NOT!

That's what's been causing the pain I've been in lately, among other symptoms that I haven't blogged about (they fall into that TMI category). It was pre-surgical testing that uncovered my diabetes. Weird thing is, the 55 pounds I've lost to date was from the diabetes, and not the hernia. So ... that's where we stand on that. I'll just be glad to be pain-free again! Then I can concentrate souly on the diabetes and my continuing weight loss. And college, of course.

During one of my many doctor's appointments lately, I had a chance encounter with a job placement counselor (head hunter). We got to talking. I mentioned I was going to Baker College - not to be confused with Baker University (a fab institute of higher learning, btw). He said they don't make it a practice of hiring graduates from certain schools. Guess who one of them is? Yup!! Said they're considered "McEducation". McGreat!! Just what I didn't need to hear. Anyway ... I did a little further research, called some influential people I know out in the computer world, and dammed if he's not right ... they won't hire graduates of certain "institutes of mediocre learning".

I just found out this morning that I've been accepted to OCC. If I weren't in constant pain, I'd be doing the happy dance here.

And it gets better!!

I've twice gone to OCC. Once in 1979 and again in 1988-90. They dusted off my old transcripts. My old GPA of 3.452 is still good!!!!

I'm a happy camper!! What a great birthday gift to myself!!

Speaking of birthday, LOL, I'm going to help my mom wrap gifts on my birthday. Don't want a fuss this year because of my health. Told Mom that we'll do something for my birthday after surgery, when I can enjoy food again. Red Lobster to be exact. A birthday tradition.

Ya'll have a great week. I'm still working on catching up with ya'll.

HUGS!!

7 comments:

  1. Mmmm....Red Lobster! I LOVE that place!!!

    I hope everything goes well for you and I'm just glad they caught it before something horrible happened!

    Take care...and start calling Harley 'Jeeves' when he drives you around....they love that!

    *giggle*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness I'm behind - sorry to hear about your surgery, but I'm glad that they have figured out what's wrong and that it will solve your pain issues. As for the school - I know that some schools carry more "prestige" than others......it's good that you found out in time to transfer - and even better that you have that awesome GPA to work from. And of course, congrats on the weight loss - they say that slow and steady is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday!!!! The girls just took me out to celebrate mine. I'm having the same TMI problems with my digestive system, no surgery scheduled yet but it may be forthcoming. Almost had to leave work Saturday because of the pain. No one understands how excruciating it is but I bet you do. HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hun...I'm so sorry for not being around sooner! Hearing about your probs isn't easy at all for me...and I DO definitely hope that things will get better for you soon. You just tell Harley to keep a good eye out for you, otherwise, I'll be on my way to see you! I went to my university 2 times...and....during the second time it was hard to get my credits transferred from 'collegiate' (*sp) to 'university'...don't let them screw you out of what you deserve!!! I'm really looking forward to your success darling....and....I just pray that things will start looking up for you. I know you are an amazing student....I once was a student who made straight 'A's' and they tried to take me down a few notches...it didn't happen though!!! It sucks, but, the older you are, the harder you have to fight!..Keep it up hun...I truly hope that your 'physical self' can outwit your studious self...you inspire me! And, I'm sorry that I didn't catch your birthday.....

    Sexy & Romantic glitter graphics from S e x i l u v . c o m

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH Yeah...I love you lots!!!!! x0x0x0x

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh dear! I couldn't post some of my medical issues either...TMI for anyone, including myself...LOL

    I hope they are able to get you fixed up quick...

    I agree that Baker is "McEducation"...I went there...LOL

    I found that their program isn't as difficult as others...oh, well...I don't use it anyhow now...but still paying those damn student loans...they should give us our $$ back...like that will happen...

    keep us all posted on your health...so did Oakland community college transfer your credits? I tried that with Mott community college in Flint and they wouldn't transfer, I had might as well started over from scratch...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the surgery is done quickly, I know how dangerous a strangulated bowel can be, I'm surprised they havent got you in hospital already. Mum was admitted as soon as she had the scans. She didnt have the added complication of the hernia though.. Geez you poor love, you make sure you demand to be admitted if the pain gets worse or if you develop a fever and or vomiting.. Mums was cleared without surgery,,,but she was in hospital for 9 days and no food or fluid for 7. I need to shutup now your doctors are in charge LOL.
    Shame on your old doc for saying it wasnt anything!!!!
    Thank goodness you have Harley keeping an eye on you and doing for you.
    Big HUGS!!!!

    ReplyDelete