Mom calls me this afternoon. Chatty ... doesn't tell me until five or so minutes into the conversation that Daddy is in the hospital. Um ... is it me, or should that have been the first thing we talked about? The way she tells it ... last night they're watching tv and Dad makes a weird grunting/grasping sound. Mom asks what's wrong ... Daddy says he's having chest pains. Mom says she's going to take him to the local clinic, Daddy says no. "Why not?" Mom asks him. "Because my underwear is dirty" he says. Oy vey!! "So change them and let's go. I don't want your headstone to say 'Here he lays because he refused to go to the hospital saying that his skivvies were dirty".
It really is funny when you think about it. The skivvies, that is ... not the chest pains.
They got to the clinic at about 10 PM. The clinic treated him for the pains and then transported him to the hospital so they could do some stress tests on him. The hospital decided to keep him for a day or two for observation, given his history with strokes and heart attacks. Mom says he's doing well, and does not want family there to visit him. He hates when we all make a fuss over him like that. I won't go today, but if they admit him tomorrow I will head on up to visit him. Or is that harass him? He's hell on those poor nurses (flirts with them). Someone needs to keep him in line. LOL.
Part of the phone conversation with Mom had to do with my soon opening my store, Elsie's Attic. I'm still rather stunned that Mom's being as supportive as she is. I would have expected "it's too risky" or "with this economy do you think it's a good idea to do this right now" but, no, she's been very supportive of the business. Daddy, well he's always been supportive of my plans and dreams. I'm about six weeks away from opening the store ... and Mom couldn't be more excited for me. Only complaint Mom has is because it's an internet business she'll have to learn to use the computer if she wants to shop at Elsie's Attic. I haven't yet told her I will have old-fashioned paper catalogs, too ... those are only reserved for the non-computer people I know (and there are quite a few of them)!
The rest of the phone conversation had to do with good ol' family gossip. The stuff I'll spare you! Really. It's rather dull if you don't know who's who. LOL!
The *kids* are bringing in more boxes today. I've been ordered to stay out of their way until further notice.
Guess I should get back to homework, eh? Since I'm grounded to my room anyway ... LOL

Wow...that reminds me of that scene in Desperate Housewives where Bree's husband is having a heart attack and she refuses to take him to the hospital until the bed is made! HAHAHA!!! Only, it was HIM needing clean skivvies! CLASSIC!
ReplyDeleteI hope your dad feels better and good luck with your store!
Leann, thanks. Daddy's a handful on a good day. But that skivvie thing just cracks me up!! I've been trying to come up with a cute but short epitaph for his headstone ... Here Lies Billy, his Fruit of the Loom's will wilt no more ... yeah ... we're morbid like that. Remind me one day to tell you what type of a funeral Mom wants.
ReplyDeletehope all's well with him...and that all keeps going well for the store! and glad to know mom's not being a downer...and i'll be stuck doing homework, too!
ReplyDelete(my orginal comment i had to erase...just got off work, so i was all about what dad's cardiac enzymes were like and what his ejection fraction is--anyways, hope it's just angina!)
Amy, lol, you'd have had me totally lost with the medical talk. Mom hasn't called back yet, but that's no biggie. She said she'd call when she (or they) got home tonight. She doesn't own a cell phone and from last I heard Daddy wasn't in a room with a phone in it anyway. And if they go out to dinner afterward it'll be late before she calls (dinner after being released from hospital is a tradition in our wacky family).
ReplyDeleteNow you know when I finally get Elsie's Attic open, I'll be expecting ya'll to stop by and say a big cyber hi ... and buy something of course ... kidding ... LOL ... actually, I will be offering a discount to my Multiply friends ... stay tuned for more info. Hehe ... talk about a shameless plug, eh?
when it opens, i'll plug for you, too--it's the least i can do after you've put up with me all this time! just give me an image i can post on my blog, and i'll post it with a link to the site...
ReplyDeleteof course, we share a lot of friends, so it may not send too much your way that wouldn't stop by anyways!
LOL!!!! Thanks!! And all I had to do was put up with you, eh? What a deal!!!
ReplyDeleteI'll be keeping a Multiply Blog, too ... a place for *members* to get special deals on select products and discount codes.
LOL @ dirty skiwies! Any news on your dad yet??
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear your mom is being so supportive with Elsie's Attic. I can't wait to go shopping!!! =)
Here it's midnight and Mom still hasn't called. I'm assuming Daddy's home since no news is usually good news where Mom is concerned. Too late for me to call them to find out what's going on, so I'll call in the morning.
ReplyDeletePengy ... I'm also planning on having a frequent shoppers *club* (as yet un-named). Spend $500 in merchandise (accumulated total, not one time total) and become a member of the club. Receive a 5% discount on future orders ... up to $1000 ... then your new discount will be 10% on all future orders. Oh ... I know ... I know ... I'll call them Penguin Points!! Earn a point for every buck spent. Same discount will apply for Penguin Points earned.
Penguin Points... I love it!! You almost gave me a heart attack when I read "spend $500 in merchandise" until i got to "accumulated total".... whew!
ReplyDeleteHope your dad is ok, thats not good he ended up in hospital..I agree lol@ dirty skivvies though.
ReplyDeleteElsies attic launch isnt so far away thats great news and its excellent your not getting negative feedback from mom about it!
Pengy, I thought I better throw that "accumulated"in! Hope your heart rate returns to normal soon!!
ReplyDeleteHelen, what really floors me about Mom's support is she's usually the one in the family who shoots me down. I don't know if it's intentional or if she's just a cautious skeptic. Or a combination of both, LOL. Oh well, that's Mom ... I love her regardless.
ReplyDeleteDaddy and his skivvies ... geesh. Wonder what he'd say if he knew I was talking about it? LMAO!
My mum is like that too although over the last year or so she has changed a lot toward me which is actually nice =)
ReplyDeleteThat's been happening here, too ... that the last year or so Mom's changed a lot toward me. It is nice, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteIt is it's like damn I finally have a mother LOL.. A real one.
ReplyDeleteI used to hate going to visit but now I don't mind it, it's nice to have someone you can share stuff with that isn't going to condemn you. You know my mum told me she loved me over the phone when I was in Canada (I cant even remember when that's happened before ).
I guess I'm lucky there, mine has always said she loves me, usually after lecturing me about something or other. I still get a lecture or two from time to time, I guess for old time's sake ... but now when she does, I tell her "gee, I know you love me, whether I'm perfect or not". That usually gets a chuckle out of her - and she forgets to finish the day's lecture. I still want to ask her on occasion "who are you and what did you do with my mother?" But I refrain ... LOL
ReplyDeleteLOL..
ReplyDeleteHope your Dad will be Ok, I think my Mum and Dad have finally accepted I'm a grown-up too and stopped trying to tell me what I should do - lol I'm only 55 !!
ReplyDelete