KUA

KUA

4/12/13

Tulips Growing In The Strangest Places ...

Some five years ago Brother Deere had re-sided my house. He also decided to till the lawn and plant new grass seed. During the tilling, he disturbed a tulip garden that had been growing ever since I first moved into this house. Every year since then, I get tulips growing in strange places throughout my front yard. This year, however, I haven't seen them spring up in their usual spots.

Today while out getting the mail I noticed that a lonely little tulip was growing very close to foundation of the house. Much more growth and it'll be growing literally up into the bottom edge of the siding.

I guess tomorrow after orientation, I see if I can successfully move it to a location where it can be better admired, one that will allow it to actually grow straight and tall!

*****

I finally got the assortment of herb seeds sown today. It'll be interesting to see what grows. Hopefully I'll even recognize what they are once they've grown. Otherwise, I could give new meaning to "chef's surprise". LOL.

*****

I ventured back into the crawlspace today to see if I could pull out some of my antique glass and the two dollhouse kits I blogged about yesterday. OMG!! I couldn't even locate them with all the stuff that's crammed into that crawlspace!

A little back-story here ... around the first of December last year Drama-rama started whining that she needed a Christmas Tree (I haven't put trees up in ages), and wouldn't take NO for an answer when I told her we didn't have the space, nor did we need it since Christmas wasn't going to be held here. I got so sick of the whining I sort of gave in with a "whatever, just STFU about it already". In preparation they ripped up the 20+ year old carpeting, stripped the wallpaper, put a thin coat of paint on the walls and called the room ready for Christmas decorations. Oh, and they they moved the book cases to their present location, destroying one short and one tall bookcase in the process (that honestly were ready for the junk pile anyway). The tall bookcase held my antique glass collection ... a variety of Carnival Glass that my grandmother had collected throughout her lifetime, hand-painted (by my own mother) china, and a few other highly fragile glass odd and ends that mean a lot to me.

All packed away and put in the crawlspace because they were in the way of someone's Christmas decorations. And they never asked (or were given) permission to so much as touch the stuff!! But then again, I have to remember who we're talking about here ... Drama-rama ... that person with grand delusions of entitlement ... who just wouldn't understand the boundaries or limits involved in living in another woman's house.

Thankfully, Gizmo did put them in plastic tubs so they're somewhat safe. He didn't wrap them up in paper first, though, so each tub will have to be treated with extreme care until the contents are determined. 

Every time I think of the condition of that crawlspace, I could cry. Three years ago, it was empty, except for the artificial Christmas tree and a box or two of decorations that hadn't been touched in a few years. Today? Well, I can't even locate the tree! I'm sure it's been pushed so far into the back of the crawlspace that it'll take Search and Rescue to find it!!

I did take pictures of the crawlspace and the room formerly used by Gizmo and Drama-rama as their bedroom. It makes me sick just being down there for the few minutes it takes to put a load of laundry into the washer, or swap it over to the dryer.

I'll post those in a separate blog entry, only because  it'll be easier for me to find them later on down the line when I want to take a walk down memory lane and remember what it used to look like around here ... and as a reminder of why this nest will forever stay empty.

*****

And since tomorrow is Orientation I'm going to call it an early night tonight. I've got a bottle of Zzz-quil at the ready just to make sure I fall asleep and stay asleep until my alarms go off at 6 am! Otherwise, I suspect I'd be too geeked about starting this new job tomorrow to get a full night's sleep!!

But first, I'll post those pictures of the utility room (including my pretty new furnace, lol) ...

I'm sure I'll blog all about Orientation tomorrow and how that went!!

No comments:

Post a Comment