KUA

KUA

11/22/07

Happy Thanksgiving ...

Yes, I'm grateful for many things. A family that doesn't always get along - but I do have a family and we do love each other. That we agree to disagree - that we can respect that we're unique individuals that make up our family, whether we agree with each other or not. I'm grateful for a vehicle that runs and that I have the skills needed to keep us safe while on the road, too. I'm grateful to my Creator - and Guardian Angel - for keeping me under their loving protection. I'm grateful to the friends who call to check on me, to make me laugh, to tell me they care ... knowing they're there for me - and I for them. I'm grateful to modern technology for bringing us the miracle of the internet ... and meeting all of my wonderful online friends. Wonderful folks who otherwise would never have graced and brightened my life.

I let Alien drive the hour and something up to my brother's house this afternoon. The drive went great. The roads were clear. I had absolutely no issues with Alien's driving!! Yeah, I teased her, but I am really proud of her, she's a good driver. Not fast, not too slow. Very aware of what's going around her at all times.

I wish my mother had been so well behaved. We had talked a few days before Thanksgiving. I said something about leaving the past in the past, and that if she brought up certain issues that she refuses to let go of I wouldn't hesitate to leave. Well, instead of bringing them up, she beats around the bush. I looked at her and quietly got up from the table mid-meal to go have a cigarette in my brother's garage. I was not going to let her anger (or mine) ruin the holiday.

Ate too much. Way too much. Brother had made a traditional Thanksgiving meal this year. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, his "secret recipe" cheese biscuits, and brocolli cheese dish. Delish as always!! I passed on the pumpkin pie and chocolate cake.

Mother started running her mouth again after dinner. I've come to realize that no matter what I do, no matter who I'm with ... this woman will never be happy. I mentioned that there's just no pleasing some people. I could work the ultimate job, marry someone with the wealth of Donald Trump or Bill Gates and she'd still look down on them!!

I then excused myself from the table, cleared my dishes and hung out talking to my brother for a few.

I love my family, but I really would have been happier with a ham sandwich at home. Alone. Less stressful, that's for sure! And just think, I get to do this all again next month for Christmas. Oy vey!

It was snowing and it just didn't look too good out, so I decided it was time to leave. Alien talked me into letting her drive again, but would pull over if she felt the roads were too slippery or she was uncomfortable. Soooooo ... off we go. The dirt roads were great! The minute we hit the main roads they were frozen over. Black ice. Nasty stuff. Alien pulled over in a hurry!! Not three minutes after I took control of the driving we were to encounter the first of three bad accidents.

The first was when some moron felt traffic was moving way too slow for him. He was directly in front of me. I believe he was probably going to go into the left lane and pass us all. Only it didn't happen that way. He hit some black ice and lost control of his SUV. I missed him. Barely. I lost control of my car, but quickly regained it, too. His SUV ended up ditched. It wasn't pretty. Alien was just freaking out!! Thank the Goddesses she wasn't driving or we'd have been hit for sure.

The second was pretty much the same as the first. Only we weren't in danger of being hit. It was pretty funny to watch some moron who thought he was better than the road conditions (again black ice) and ditched his truck.

By the end of the second accident I was actually laughing. Hysterically. Nervous laughter, really. But then I started to realize that I missed seeing Alien totally freak. Funny how now she's got a whole new respect for drivers, and driving. Poor kid was shakey for the rest of the ride home!

The last accident was sad. I don't know the details. All I know is that they closed down the highway we were on. Detoured us around that accident. The only time they close down the road in that town for an accident is if there's a death. I closed my eyes when stalled in detour traffic and said a prayer for those involved.

Hoping your Thanksgiving was a good one. That you are all safe. That you ate too much, laughed too hard. That you spent it exactly how you wanted to - with family and/or friends or enjoying a quiet dinner at home alone.

3 comments:

  1. I did have a good one. I worked last night and my kids were with thier dad.......but it is always good not being in a stressful place. How did you like the snow? I watched it fall all night while I worked. I'm glad you weren't in any of the accidents.......Have a great weekend. Hugs....

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you made it home safe...as for family, welll...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfully you made it home in one piece! My Mom's the same way, you either put up with them or don't, I chose the latter. HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete