This week's theme was provided by Jan H . . .
Click for her Multiply page and for her Yahoo 360 page . . .
Santa has made his list, wrapping the gifts and packing the sled . . . we are in the midst of the mad seasonal rush to buy the perfect gift.
Since is it more blessed to give than receive, let's think about the gifts we have given over the years.
What gift have you given that was the most . . .
1. Unique ... This also falls into the funny category. Years ago my mother had complained that my dad never gets her "good" gifts for Christmas. She said if it wasn't two carats she was going to return whatever he bought. Being a beaded jewelry maker I ran right up to the bead store and purchased four carrot beads, two for each earring I would make for her. It was the gaudiest pair of earrings I'd ever I'd ever made, ever laid my eyes on, with it's two glass bead carrots dangling off each ear. I got a nice box from a fine jewelry store, wrapped and tagged it for my dad.
2. Life Changing ... This one I'm not too sure of ... Actually, maybe it's the two carat carrot earrings mentioned above. Mom's not whined or complained since about Dad's selection of gifts.
3. Difficult ... Not Christmas, but Mother's Day 1991. My 25 year old brother had passed away just a month before. He was born on Valentine's Day, so my other brother and I decided to pitch in and buy her a beautiful heart charm for her charm bracelet.
4. Funny ... Oh, hard one. I'm one of those who loves to give fun or funny gifts. I'd say not so much an actual gift, but how we wrapped a gift one year. It was a cassette tape my Dad had wanted. Remember cassettes? Man, seems like a lifetime ago! Anyway ... Daddy wanted this cassette but we kids didn't want him to guess what it was by the wrap. So ... we wrapped it up, then put it into a box and wrapped that with Christmas wrap. We got a bigger box and repeated ... six or seven more times. We taped every seam, the smaller boxes were even completely covered with tape. By the time we were done the little cassette tape had taken a total of nine boxes, four rolls of paper, two rolls of tape and unknown amounts of packing peanuts. It was the biggest gift under the tree that year!
5. Memorable ... Back in the 70's you could take a gift to the mall and have it "canned". Yup, in an actual tin can. They'd seal it. The gift recipient would need a can opener to open it. My mother's electric can opener had died earlier that year. Dad bought her a new one for Christmas. Yup, you guessed it ... we had her can opener canned.
If you would like to participate in the Friday 5:
Copy the questions and post your answers to your blog,
Leave a comment on the page at The Friday Five @ 360
or The Friday Five @ Multiply to let others know your post is up so they can visit your blog..
You can participate at either page or both, the choice is yours. FRIDAY FIVE IS NOT LEAVING 360.
Fun, easy, and no time limit.
Your page theme is so pretty!
ReplyDeleteI loved your answers and stories...I esp enjoyed the carrot story, it sounds exactly like something I would do!
Lizzy
Oh my I don't have anything as good as these except we did the box thing to my daughter one year and it had a 50 dollar gift card in the last small box.
ReplyDeleteLove the carrot story!!
ReplyDeleteToo cute about the earrings!! And I have never heard of having a gift canned. That is so weird! But funny!
ReplyDelete