And I'm sooooo glad it's over!
One more nasty political commercial and I would have screamed bloody murder! Don't know about you, but the majority of the candidates here in Michigan were dirty players this year ... only a small handful refused to play that game. Not surprising that they won whatever they were running for ... I think we're all sick of the mud slingers, nay sayers, and creeps who partake in it.
Ah well, we've got, what ... a year? ... until the campaigning for the 2012 elections start. Enjoy the quiet while it lasts!!
I'm happy with the new governor we will have here in Michigan ... Rick Snider, better known as "One Tough Nerd" ... he wants to "re-invent Michigan" ... and from his ten step plan, I do think he is on the right track ... we can't save the "old" Michigan ... but we sure as hell can re-invent it!
I went to vote and DILs dad was a few people in front of me. He asked if DIL had voted yet, I told him I didn't think so. What I should have told him was the conversation she and I had not twenty minutes earlier in the aisles of the grocery store where we bumped into each other ... pretty sad conversation at that. She asked if it was a presidential election ... Hullo?? Are you serious (yes, very) ... and I told her no ... it was a mid-term election (she didn't know what mid-term meant) and that we were casting our votes for the new governor of Michigan. "I don't know who the candidates are, so I guess I won't vote." To which I replied "then don't bitch one word to anyone if you don't like the changes that will be made. Not voting revokes your right to bitch about it".
*****
I've been doing some marathon video viewing. It took me a few days, but I watched the entire boxed set of "Keeping Up Appearances". That's including not only all of the episodes but the extras, the interviews, behind the scenes, and out takes, too.
Tonight I could either have started all over again, OR spent time reading my copy of "Hyacinth Bucket's Book of Etiquette for The Socially Less Fortunate". Yes, I chose to read the book.
I found the "Hyacinth Bucket Book of Cookery" online quite a while back. I printed out all two hundred pages (two ink cartridges later!!) ... and have been browsing through it, too. Some of the recipes sound soooo yummy!
I even ordered the "Hyacinth Bucket's Hectic Social Calendar" book today on amazon.com. I tell ya, those free $5 gift cards I have earned from swagbucks.com sure have come in handy!! Not an hour after I ordered it, the seller shipped it off! I can't wait! I've wanted that book forever ... yes, I'm a Hyacinth addict!! And I bought it for 88 cents (plus 3.99 S&H). What a deal!!
So I guess I know why I've had strange dreams these last few days ... ummmm, nights ... about Hyacinth, her home, and biscuit recipes of all things. American breakfast biscuits, not British biscuits (cookies to us). And that I know the difference shows I'm an addict! LOL!
Now I think I need to see a professional to analyze this addiction I have to all things Hyacinth (besides the fact that my mother possesses quite a few Hyacinth traits).
*****
Geesh, I need a life!!
I still haven't heard from that one company ... Target, by the way ... but from my understanding they do take their time getting back to applicants, especially when it's for seasonal workers (for which I applied). I'm guessing they just don't want to start paying seasonals until just before the holiday season begins. LOL.
In the meantime, I've also applied to about three dozen other retail places. Somethings gotta give sooner or later.
And the sooner the better.
Married Son and I are at odds again. We rarely speak, and when we do it ends in harsh words being spoken. I'm selfish (don't you know) because I demand they pay certain bills in exchange for rent. And of course, I call them selfish because not only is it a fight to get his share of the bills paid - but there's a new (new to them) truck sitting in my driveway. Now, I know he needs a vehicle, but priority says pay the heat bill FIRST (and not saying "gee, Mom, I don't have it this month"). He claims it was a repayment for a debt from a former friend of his, but I really don't believe that.
They don't think I've noticed, but you'd have to be a total moron to not see that they're sorting their possessions. I mean, really, how hard is it to notice when the sorting/storage tubs are stacked three high in my previously empty hallway?
They do this when they're getting ready to move. I guess it'll save me having to serve eviction notice at the end of the year. But he better pay me what he owes me first!! Or I know I'll never see it again.
But ... there's a lesson in this all. I will not ... I repeat NOT ... ever allow them to move back in with me. I know I said it in the past and broke down ... but no more!! I'm finished. Done. How's the saying go? Screw me once it's your fault, screw me twice it's my fault ... there won't be a third. And there sure won't be ... I'm a slow learner, but I've learned. Really.
*****
Okay, now my headache is back. Single Son put some videos on the network drive ... think I'll go watch either "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" or "The Muppet Movie" ... or maybe ... hmmmmm ... decisions, decisions ...

i've heard the hyacinth bucket name before, but can't connect it to anything...guess i'll have to go do a google search!
ReplyDeletekeeping my fingers (and eyes!) crossed for you about target. and the part about holding off on seasonal workers until absolutely needed is true, especially since the economy is still a bit shaky. i haven't heard back on my job, either--maybe we'll get calls on teh same day!
as for DIL's statement: actually, not gonna go there. my mom always said i f i don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all....but i can and will say i'm happy for you that they seem to be getting ready to leave, and i hope you get your money before they do (and if not, well...just concentrate on the fact that maybe it's worth the money loss to be rid of the stress) i know it's largely the principle of the thing that they pay what they rightfully owe, but...!
So, did you google Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced Bouquet) ... ;)
ReplyDeleteMay we both be employed before long ... that'd be great if we did both get calls in the same day wouldn't it? Although, you're highly specialized in your field, cashiers out here seem to be a dime a dozen. Ah well ... expanded the search today to include pretty much anything ... lol.
Oh, you know how I said I'd shovel horse manure if it came to it ... searching today there's an advert for a stable hand. Didn't apply, though, since the job requires lifting 70 pounds or more (that's a lot of shit!)
Exactly, it's the principle of the thing. Not to make a martyr of myself ... I bend over backwards to accomidate them only to be walked all over ... not only financially but by them trashing my home, shirking their responsibilities, and having the nerve to whine if they don't get to spend money on themselves (DIL especially). They get food at least twice a week from an expensive carry out place (I've had McDonald's dollar menu ONCE in the last six months), spend money on half a dozen romance novels every month (ever hear of the free-lending library ... aka public library) ... yet fall so far behind in their share of the bills that there's a shut off notice for the heat. It's such a balance I don't know how I'd be able to pay it off by myself.
Now you see why I really want that money they owe me ... get caught up on the bills that they are supposed to pay - before it ruins my already suffering credit.
I've given up worrying about how they'll survive in the world ... it's not my problem. I sure know IF I made the money he makes at FedEx I'd be sitting pretty ... the bills paid on time, lots of healthy food in the pantry and money to spare. Not them ... nope. No clue as to how to live on a working wage ...
And I'm tired. Tired of the excuses, tired of the messes. Tired of it all.
Do you realize if I made minimum wage ($7.40 an hour) for 25 hours a week of work (and that includes deducting taxes for my tax bracket) ... I'd be able to survive quite comfortably?
I hereby promise to remind you of how miserable you were with the wrecking crew living with you if the situation ever arises again. But I'll also remind you that your reason for letting them come was at least in part because you were worried about your grandson being in a bad environment if you said no.....so maybe remembering that will help you get through this a bit more easily (or if nothing else, reconcile yourself to that possibility so you can say no if it comes up again).
ReplyDeleteYes, something will come - especially as the holidays approach...but if you haven't called Target to follow up - you really should.....sometimes that can make a difference all else being equal.
I'm glad you're happy with how your state election went, I'm happy with mine as well. It's difficult times everywhere - but I know Michigan was hit particularly hard because of the loss of so much of it's manufacturing base.
But then again, I couldn't even pay my mortgage on what you can survive on quite comfortably....so I guess it's all a matter of perspective (and location).
Em, please DO remind me should I ever lose my senses again!! Amy, you too!!!!! Even if it means that Grandson would be in a less than desirable situation. He's a good kid (basically, well, minus the whining and episodes of spoiledness) ... and I have no doubt he would rise above whatever he faces (look at what he's got for parents - always correcting their bad language and telling them not to speed - and he's ONLY FIVE).
ReplyDeleteI did call Target with a follow up call three days after the interview. I was told they were still going over interview forms and will contact me. Which we know they haven't yet. Would a second follow up call be warranted, or is that just coming off as a bit too needy? This follow up calling is all new territory to me.
If my folks hadn't subsidized my rent there's no way I would be able to survive those wages. LOL ... and I don't have much of a life, so my budget doesn't include things like clothing, vacations, cable tv, theatre, dining out, or even a cell phone at this point. And quite honestly, I do recieve food benefits from the state, two hundred dollars a month may not seem like much, but I do manage to budget it rather well (in fact, I have eight dollars left on my balance, the card will be "recharged" on the 6th). Gotta love those ten for ten dollar sales the grocery stores have!!
Been broke so long I've been known to make a twenty dollar bill last for weeks.
It's not all that bad, really. And I'm sure once I do have income again, I won't be spending it much. If nothing else, these past few years of my life have taught me what's important and what I can live without.
Don't know if that's worthy of bragging or not. My Irish ancestors would be proud of the way I can make ends meet.
Can we say FRUGAL?? ;)
I think it comes across as you're very interested. But I'd wait a week after your last call and phrase it as you were just calling to see if the job decisions had been finalized yet.
ReplyDeleteAnd I think frugality is well worth being proud of. If more people lived within their means the recession wouldn't have hit nearly so hard.
Ah, a million thanks, Em. I'll do just that ... I'll call in a few days to see if the job decisions have been finalized yet.
ReplyDeleteThank goodness for my one big splurge, the internet, LOL ... I've been able to find a lot of ideas about living the frugal life (like I couldn't write a book about it myself, LOL) ... funny thing is when I do have money I feel guilty spending it if it's not for something I really really need.
It's so bad, hehe, that for graduation I recieved a gift card to Starbucks and I've only used it once!! Now that the weather is turning colder, I'm sure I'll find a good excuse to drive up to Starbucks.
I admire the frugal...I always swore I'd never forget what it was like to be dirt-ass poor--but I kinda have. I've been spoiled the past few years, and now I'm struggling a bit with re-learning frugality.
ReplyDeleteAmy, it's easy to stay frugal when you put goals in mind (especially on a limited income) ... my big goal one day, is to take a vacation ... a real vacation ... a nice leisurely road trip to the port in which the cruise ship I've booked passage on is departing.
ReplyDeleteI figure since bank robbery is out, as is marrying some rich retiree ... I better keep my frugal ways! LOL
I remember being poor, and I still live below my means.....but I've found a balance - I don't beat myself up over a bit of spoiling and you shouldnt either. Hopefully Lisa will find herself in that able to be extravagant if she so chooses place soon.....
ReplyDeleteI've no doubt your day will come.....Heck, you're getting by on just about nothing now - so a fulltime job, when it comes, will make it easy for you to afford a cruise......
ReplyDeleteEm, that's exactly the place I want to be ... where I could afford something just for the sake of owning it, but choose to live frugally, and spoil myself from time to time in the process ... where the bills get paid as soon as they come in (something I used to do) and there's money left at the end of the month to be thrown into a savings account. I don't want a fancier car, or the "proper postal code" (Hyacinth Bucket reference here, LOL), or like my one cousin, monthly trips to posh destinations, a luxury vehicle, fancy clothing and a party almost every night (she's 55, no less)!
ReplyDeleteWell, it starts with one small step at a time.....that first (I know not really first, but first paying in a while) job is the beginning.
ReplyDeleteAnd fortunately what you want doesn't means you'll have to marry money or become a CEO somewhere. Sides, if you did start being a bit extravagant than Alien would ALWAYS be asking you for money.
Like she does now?
ReplyDelete