Once again....wishes for a Fantastic Friday!

My parents really didn't let me follow the fads ... so this list is going to be a little bit of everything. What I had, wished I had or didn't understand what all the fuss was about ...
1) Mexican Jumping Beans. Seems like almost everyone in my upper elementary school's cafeteria had Mexican Jumping Beans just a-jumpin' on their lunch trays. Notice I say *almost*, it's a fad I just couldn't understand.
2) Any article of clothing that was tie-dyed. Of course, that was the mid- 70s ... and tie-dye was the in thing to wear. I was forbidden to wear "hippie clothing" ... but boy did I want a tie-dyed skirt and matching shirt!
3) French Jeans. Bleached blue jeans completely covered in lace. More of a boot-leg cut than the then popular wide bell bottoms. Expensive!! I drooled over a pair in one of the mall boutiques, but at $150 (1976 prices) there was NO way I'd ever own a pair!
4) Mood Rings. Had one. Back when they were ovals set on a plain band. Seems mine was usually green. Anyone remember what green means?
5) Pet Rocks!! Now there's a WTH were they thinking fad if ever I saw one!! But just goes to prove, with the right marketing you can sell just about anything! Or as my dad said when he saw someone with one "there's a sucker born every minute".

I forgot about mood rings. Of course, mine was always blue, so apparently my mood never changed!
ReplyDeleteI remember all that stuff! A few years ago at the beach, I bought mood rings for myself and their girls. The mood part was a band that went all the way around your finger with little dolphins on it!
ReplyDeleteKool memories, man I bet those jeans were really neat!!
ReplyDeletei still have a weakness for mood rings! mine changed...so add "what does green, blue, and kinda a puke-y-greenish-brown mean"...
ReplyDeleteLoved Mexican Jumping Beans - we thought they were magic! I still have a mood ring but it doesn't work anymore =( We always had pet rocks as kids - and a few years ago I had the bright idea to make a bunch up (with shaky eyes and wire feet) to throw in with some other items I was selling at a craft show - don't 'cha know kids were shelling out fifty cents right and left - they loved 'em!! Fun list - have a great weekend =)
ReplyDeletehttp://thymekeeper.multiply.com/journal/item/140/Friday_Five_High_School_Fads
Yes, the jumping beans way back when. The others were pretty silly weren't they? Nice job Lisa! Have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteI loved the mood rings! Great list!
ReplyDeleteI never understand the "pet rock" either. And I am sure by looking at the picture, they couldnt just be any old rock you found in the yard..LOL Actually come to think of it, I did from time to time pick up a plain old rock out of the yard and carry it around...Hmmmm, would that make it a "home grown pet rock"?? (grin)
ReplyDeletehttp://vickiecollins.multiply.com/journal/item/457/Friday_5--High_School_Fads
Then there's the fad that comes around each Christmas -- the Chia Pet --
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzY7qQFij_M
I remember these also! Had tons of those darn rocks... my dad didn't get it either, but he did admit shopping for me was easier, LOL. Great list! My hands were always so cold, my mood ring would stay black all the time... blue meant you were HOT, green meant you had possibilities... though at the time, I didn't quite understand what those were....
ReplyDeleteOh, the memories of youth in the 70s! Great answers! -janeen
http://fluffyj.multiply.com/journal/item/301
Oooooooo I had a mood ring. They still sell them all over the place. They are cool
ReplyDeletehttp://luvzoeygirl3.multiply.com/journal/item/103/Friday_FiveHigh_School_Fads
don't forget the rubik's cube
ReplyDeleteYeah I never had a pet rock.. thank goodness or them beans LOL
ReplyDeleteI didnt get a mood ring till like wow not taht many years ago.. blue = calm and happy green is a good color too!
I remember watching my cousin tie-dye a whole load of t-shirts in her mom's washer, they came out really cool, but it stained the machine...opps. - LOL
ReplyDelete