Remember when you were a kid and those crafty marketers got all those jingles stuck in your head..."He's a honeycomb kid, givin' all he's got.." "If you believe in Peanut Butter Clap your hands..." Remember those? I noticed that today's commercials for kids and adults alike are all action, no jingles....Poor jingle writers sitting lonely in their Glendale homes obsessing over their great cereal campaigns. So...give us 5 of your favorite jingles that you remember growing up with!
I had fun finding all my faves on youtube! Enjoy!
Definitely #1 is ... the Faygo Pop Boat Song of the 1970s.
2) Detroit Zoo ...
3) Frito Bandito ...
4) Slinky ...
5) The Banana Song (Chiquita Banana) ...
This last is actually from Disney Studios circa 1940, but I remember hearing it growing up in the 60s.
Good job! Like how you used the utube videos... I used to sing along with the Frito Bandito all the time! The first two I had never seen before.... was fun to see them all!
ReplyDeleteLove the chiquita one!
ReplyDeleteBreami, Thanks!! It was fun searching for all of my old faves!! The first two were pretty much local to the Detroit area. I was really surprised to actually find 'em on youtube, too!!
ReplyDeleteGrainne, I love that song, too. Thanks for making this our topic this week ... what fun I had walking down memory lane ... off to check everyone else's faves!!
ReplyDeleteI do remember those, thanks for bringing back the good times as a kid...Stop by and read my blog and tell me what u think plzzzzzzzz
ReplyDeleteI forgot about the Frito Bandito....he was awesome. Thanks for the visit.
ReplyDeleteFuzzy, LOL! See the squirrel on top of my page? He's eating a Frito corn chip!! I sang that ditty whilst feeding Fritos to the squirrels in the park on Wednesday!
ReplyDeleteTish, thanks!! I had a blast doing this Friday Five!! So many good commercials from days gone by that it was hard to really chose only five of them!! Love your page, it's looking great. Love the anniversary entry!! He's going to love it!
ReplyDeleteI so remember the frito bandito...just love those rhymning phrases..:)
ReplyDeletehttp://vickiecollins.multiply.com/journal/item/424/Friday_Five---Commercial_Jingles
Nice list- don't recall the FRITO one or the last- I was too little or not around yet! LOL
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun blog ;0) I don't remember seeing any of those commericals!! I do remember the slinky jingle though. I luv the Frito Banditio one!!
ReplyDeleteWe didnt have any of these obviously LOL.
ReplyDeleteI grew up with this one though!
Get this widget | Track details | eSnips Social DNA
Vickie, I've never meet a Frito I didn't like, LOL!
ReplyDeleteLowflyingqueen - thanks, now I feel O.L.D. Kidding!! I'm having a lot of fun seeing what everyone else's favorites were. You can pretty much figure their ages by what jingles they remember the most!
ReplyDeleteAngie, catchy little tune isn't it? Do I sense another Frito Bandito in the making? LOL!
ReplyDeleteHelen, Love the jingle, it's catchy. NOW I have to try this Vegamite stuff. Another Aussie friend used to talk about it a lot, too. She warned me it's an acquired taste to most people.
ReplyDeleteThat was a good list. Lots of fun.
ReplyDeletethanks...now i've got "i'm a pepper, you're a pepper...." stuck in my head....and i happen to not even like dr pepper!
ReplyDeletehe's a pepper, she's a pepper...c'mon, everybody!....
ReplyDelete(i'd like to teach the world to sing....)(.....aww, dangit!....)
Its not that bad lol if you like savory foods then it's probably not as much of a culture shock to the palate. I will bring a jar with me when come over.
ReplyDeleteremembers the banana and the slinky jingles, not sure the others would have been big in the south.
ReplyDeleteHow about these jingles -- Peter Pan (If you believe in Peanut Butter); Oscar Meyer (cause Oscar Meyer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A).
Amy ... wouldn't you like to be a Pepper, too? ...
ReplyDeleteHelen, we'll have to hit a restaurant (or room service) for some buttered toast!! Cool, thanks!!
ReplyDeleteTmess, I forgot all about the Peter Pan jingle. What's funny, I have to sing the Oscar Mayer song to spell B-O-L-O-G-N-A!!
ReplyDeletegreat answers I don't remember the faygo commercial but I know of faygo and I don't know the Detroit zoo one. Thanks for stopping by.
ReplyDeleteThe Zoo clip is too cute. I forgot all about the Bandito! Fritos should run that same ad today, it's a classic. Nice blog Lisa. ;^)
ReplyDeletehttp://sharksfan.multiply.com/journal/item/273/Friday_Five-_Commercial_Jingles
LOL, I was just visiting another friend who did the Friday 5, and that old song for the "Toni" perm popped into my head....
ReplyDelete"If you really want a perm get a toni, real curl, real bounce, real swing"!!!!!
I thought about using the Slinky one too. That song just sticks with you!
ReplyDeleteLOL, I was just visiting another friend who did the Friday 5, and that old song for the "Toni" perm popped into my head....
ReplyDelete"If you really want a perm get a toni, real curl, real bounce, real swing"!!!!!
LoveAngel, the Faygo commercial was a local commercial. I doubt that it was ever aired outside of the Detroit area.
ReplyDeleteSharksfan, the Zoo commercial is definitely a Detroit Classic!!
ReplyDeleteDawn, it sure does stick with you, doesn't it?? I have a bunch of jingles that seem to be stuck in my head right now - gee, wonder why? LOL!
ReplyDeleteGlenda, I forgot all about the Toni commercial!!
ReplyDeleteOh...these were wodnerful! I am really enjoying this weeks theme!
ReplyDeleteLora, I did too! Thanks, I'm glad I found some of the local ones ... the ones we used to sing to all the time.
ReplyDelete