KUA

KUA

3/13/13

One Week ...

Funny how fast one can adapt to something ... the empty nest. And to grow accustomed to the new normal.

I knew there were certain things I would not miss around here ... and I sure haven't missed them. The overflowing garbage cans from someone else cramming more stuff in there instead of emptying the freaking can when it's contents were either 1) level with the top of said can or 2) stinking to high heaven. The shower is where I left it, both the shower head setting (I love the waterfall setting) and not aimed at my knees. No more waiting in the hallway, doing the "peepee dance" because someone refuses to acknowledge they even hear you knock (and an hour in the bathroom, behind locked doors. He's lucky I didn't tinkle in his shoes!). And that whole toilet paper wars, wth was that about anyway? No more using the crispers for my fridge food, I have the whole thing to myself now! Empty as it seems right now. BUT ... no more science experiments to wonder about!  Snooze alarms being hit for an hour or more every single day (at 3:55 am to boot!).

I could go on and on and on about what I don't miss.

Do I miss anything? Not really. Sad as that is to say, I don't miss my son. Not the way he's been the last 16 months anyway. As soon as she turned up, all hell broke loose. He seemed to have forgotten how to respect me, my home or my rules. He forgot about responsibility. Sad that he chose someone who would rather tell bold-faced lies than be a part of once had been a close-knit, loving, caring family unit.

Still no word from him either. Not so much as a how-do-you-do-Mom. He was over at the neighbors house on Sunday. Right next door. Do you think he even popped his head in to say hi? NO! Four or more hours there. No excuse.

I've pretty much given up that he'll pay what he owes for the last two months. He seems to be blinded by the Drama-rama's crap.

Yeah, it hurts, but he seems to have made his choice. I just hope he wises up before there's kids involved.

But, no matter ... his decision is made. AND he's forever closed the door on my providing a roof over his head again. Plenty of reasons, too, to stick to this promise. Respect, Responsibility ... bad financial risk ... very bad!!

*****

Okay, so granted, it's not a fully empty nest, but BossMan is away for weeks, maybe months at a time and only home for a day or two, well, it may as well be empty, right? LOL

I'm still on the job hunt. I'm spreading out my search to include the "general" category of the help wanted columns. Driver, home-care assistant, hotel laundry, and just about anything else that says "no experience necessary".

I've even thought about one of the Home Plans magazines that is published locally. I have a ton of designs for homes plans, and a limited know-how of publishing (more like layout and design). I had been a parent volunteer for the boys elementary school yearbook for their entire elementary years. One year there were no other volunteers, so I had to single-handedly put out that year's yearbook. I still have a copy of it. I did a great job of it if I do say so myself. Well, I didn't publish it, but I did do the majority of the photography (less a dozen photos submitted by one parent), the layout, copy, and worked closely with the publisher. I also did all of the pre-sales to the kiddies, money handling, and the distribution of nearly 200 yearbooks all by my lonesome!! Okay, so it was over twenty years ago ... but I'm like an elephant, once I know how to do something I never forget!!

*****

OMG! I am so loving this new furnace!! It's blowing HOT AIR ... to the point it's actually a little too warm in the house right now. And the thermostat is only set at 70!! I may have to turn it down a few degrees. As soon as I figure out how to set the digital thermometer! LOL.

I did have a doih moment today with the Furnace Guys. The gas man Monday had said he smelled an "electrical smell". I reported it to the Furnace Guys. The one asked if I had smelled anything and if it was that of "burnt toast, or possibly burnt popcorn". Yes, burnt toast, wafting up through the vents. I had thought that Drama-rama had burnt a late night snack (as usual). Nope, turns out that burnt toast smell last week was the blower motor dying in my forced-air furnace!!

I guess a lot of women say that it's a burnt toast smell. LOL.

That made me realize that a few days before that first smell of gas, while I was in the bathroom I did hear the furnace on, but that the usual hot air blowing out of the vent was more of a warm breeze ... if you know what I mean. Just lacked the normal stronger flow of hot air.

So ... doih. Dummy me ...

But all is toasty in my empty nest now.

*****

Reclaiming the nest as mine is going to take a lot longer than I thought. But that's okay, I guess. It didn't happen overnight, it won't be undone overnight either. Lots to do ... lots to do!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment