You Know You're From MICHIGAN If . . .
- You show people where you're from by pointing to a spot on the back of your left hand. (Especially useful if you're from the Thumb or the Little Finger.)
- The only place in the world can you experience all four seasons in one day.
- You know what a 'party store' is.
- You've never met any celebrities.
- "Vacation" means going to Cedar Point.
- At least one member of your family disowns you the week of the Michigan / Michigan State game.
- Your idea of a traffic jam is 40 cars waiting to pass an orange barrel.
- Half the change in your pocket is Canadian .... eh?
- You drive 86 mph on the highway and pass on the right.
- You know how to play (and pronounce) Euchre.
- It's easy to get Vernor's ginger ale, Better Made chips, Sanders hot fudge sauce, and Faygo pop.
- You know how to pronounce "Mackinac."
- You've had to switch on the heat and the air conditioning in the same day.
- You bake with SODA and drink POP.
- The movie "Escanaba in Da Moonlight" wasn't funny. You consider it a documentary.
- Your little league game was snowed out.
- The word "thumb" has geographical rather than anatomical significance.
- Traveling coast-to-coast means driving from Port Huron to Muskegon.
- You measure distance in minutes.
- When giving directions, you refer to "A Michigan Left."
- You know that Kalamazoo not only exists, but isn't far from Hell.
- Your year has two seasons: Winter and Construction.
- Home Depot on any Saturday is busier than toy stores at Christmas.
- You know when it has rained because of the smell of worms.
- When owning a Japanese car was a hangin' offense in your hometown.
- You believe that "down south" means Toledo.
- Your idea of a seven-course meal is a six-pack and a bucket of smelt.
- You know that Big Mac is something that you drive over.
- You can see a car running in a parking lot with no one in it, no matter what time of the year.
- You end your sentences with a preposition; example: "Where's my coat at?"
- All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, or animal.
- You think of the four major food groups as beef, pork, BBQ sauce, and beer.
- You carry jumper cables and snow chains in your trunk.
- You design your kids' Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.
- Driving in the winter is better because the pot-holes are filled with snow.
- Your favorite holidays are Christmas,Thanksgiving, and the opening of Deer Season, which you consider a National Holiday.
- You have 10 favorite recipes for venison.
- You learned to drive a boat before you could ride a bike.
- You owe more money on your snowmobile than your car.
- Your snowblower has more miles on it than your car.
- Shoveling the driveway constitutes a great upper body workout.
- You’ve ever used the word “bogue.”
- The "Big Three" means either Ford, Chrysler and GM, or Little Caesar's, Domino's, or Hungry Howie's.
- You think alkaline batteries were named after a Tiger outfielder.
- Your definition of a small Michigan town is one that doesn't have a lake.
- You define summer as three months of bad sledding.
- You attend a formal event in your best clothing, finest jewelry, and snowmobile boots.
- The municipality buys a zamboni before a bus.
- You have experienced frostbite and sunburn in the same week.
- The orange barrel is considered Michigan's 'other' lighthouse.
God, no wonder I hated moving from here...i didn't realize that others wouldn't know what a "party store" is...what the heck???
ReplyDeleteI am very good at Euchre...
And our freezer is filled to the brim with venison...I don't buy beef...Dwayne got 2 deer last fall {usually every fall} and I just use the venison burger and other cuts just like I would beef....the kids can't tell the difference...I make venison tacos even...
hey, it saves on the grocery bill...LOL
LOL Victorious!! I'd love to have a freezer full of venison!! My ex never bagged a deer the whole time we were married. Heck, he never got so much as a shot off!! So much for hunting! LOL!
ReplyDeleteDon't shovel the driveway either. We drive over it to pack it down!! LOL! And heck yeah!! Any time the potholes are covered is a great excuse to get out and enjoy the roads!! Regardless of the orange barrels! LOL ...
I haven't played Euchre in years!! How sad is that??
Well...maybe you need to learn to hunt...LOL
ReplyDeleteI used to "shovel" my driveway like that when I was a single mother...LOL I probably still would...now I have the "perfectionist" out there every morning with the snowblower...
I haven't sat down and played Euchre in probably 3 years [the AA meetings where I used to live would play it all the time}...so now I go to Yahoo games...the only problem is that you can get some pretty nasty men on there who don't give a crap how they talk to you...but oh well...it's nice when you get a good group...I also love to play cribbage online..I wonder if that's a Michigan game too...LOL
Me, hunt?? I doubt that'd ever happen. They'd look me in the eye and I just wouldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.
ReplyDeleteFor health reasons I no longer shovel. So if the kids don't do it, it isn't going to get done. Easier to just drive over it to pack it down!! LOL!!!
Man, it's been 20 years since I played euchre!! Don't know if it's a Michigan thing, but I remember learning Cribbage as a kid. Haven't played that one in years either!!
I'm soooooo craving a "Boston Cooler" right now ... Vernor's Ginger Ale and vanilla ice cream for ya'll not around these parts ... YUMMY!!!!
oh, Lisa...I worked at an ice cream store for 3 years while in high school...a family owned store, much like a DQ...I got hooked on Boston Coolers while working there....another thing I miss while traveling out of Michigan is the Koegel's Vienna's....the only hot dog I will eat...the other's taste soooooooo gross....LOL
ReplyDeleteI worked at Big Boy as a teen I used to get a Boston Cooler after every shift. Didn't last long as a waitress - just didn't have the patience - but the addiction to Boston Coolers has lasted forever. In fact, I hear Big Boy should be putting it back on the menu soon!! Just too many people complaining since it disappeared!!
ReplyDeleteWe grew up on Ballpark Franks. Some of the best memories I have of summers growing up are when dad would put 'em on the barbecue and burn them to perfection ... ahhhh, nothing like an overcooked frank. LOL! With a bag of Better Made chips and a bottle of Faygo (or Town Club) *pop* and we were happy little campers!! Even better if Dad brought out the transistor radio and we listened to the Tigers game while eating outside.
Ah, those really were the days ... LOL!!
You read 'you know you're from Michigan' blogs and fall asleep.
ReplyDeleteLOL, Phil!!!
ReplyDeletePOP...Here it's a soda.
ReplyDeletePhil, thanks for the heads-up. Should I ever find myself out your way I'll be sure to torment waitresses with ordering a POP with my meal ... hehehehe ...
ReplyDeleteLOL, Phil .. Impressive list ... however - hate to burst your bubble, lol. but some of 'em are not exclusive to Chi-town ... HUGS!!!
ReplyDeleteI know
ReplyDeleteStill ... it's a pretty impressive list ... HUGS!!!
ReplyDeleteLOL! Born in Holland (MI), so I know what you mean!
ReplyDelete