KUA

KUA

5/10/08

Alien Bowl-a-thon

As most of you know I'm a member of an international Star Trek Fan Association called Star Fleet. Chapters are called ships and are fashioned after the star ships on any of the Star Trek series. The *ship* I'm on is the USS Sinclair. We are a Defiant Class ship.

Today was one of our Regional functions. An Alien Bowl-a-thon. This was my first "official" function as the USS Sinclair's Historian (photographer). Today's fun was hosted by two of the ships in our region. Our charity for this event was the V.A.D. (Volunteers Assisting the Disabled).

It wasn't a large turn out this year. We can blame the cost of gas for that as most members would have had to travel 50 or more miles.

Anyway ... we had a blast!! Bowlers showed up in full costume or with their ship t-shirts. Parents, grandparents, children, grandchildren were there to bowl.

Of the three or four ships that had representatives present over $800 was raised for the V.A.D. Not bad for a few hours of fun I'd say!!

Several members, myself and Single Son included, went out after the event to an early dinner at a place called Roger's Roost. They make an awesome Buffalo Burger! Yum!!



Klingon Warrior



Lady Klingon



Star Fleet Admiral Smith


12 comments:

  1. and here i thought it'd be a blog about you sliding your youngest down the lanes into the pins....(admit it--you got a visual going when you read that, didn't you?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the fundraising, $800 for a few hours is more than not bad well done to all concerned!!

    The photos are great thanks for putting them in and showing us. I was wondering and now I know LOL.. looks like a lot of fun =) Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy ... OMG!! That's too funny! Yup, I got the visual thing going now. Watch for a future photoshop project to commemorate Alien Bowling. LMAO ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen, thanks. It was a great success that's for sure. This was the organizations 13th annual bowl-a-thon. Every year one of our favorite charities benefits.

    And here ya'll thought we were a bunch of nuts parading around in Star Trek costume, pretending to be from Outer Space. Well, that's true enough, but there's a lot of fund raising done in the process. Not just the annual bowl-a-thon. Our chapter presently is involved in a recycling drive, food and clothing drives, and miscellaneous fund raising efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROFLMAO - I actually was thinking along the same lines as Amy there....but even without tossing kidliens down the lanes it still sounds like a very good time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Em, it was a hoot!! Those who weren't bowling were really acting out their roles for the other bowlers in the Lanes. I've never seen a friendlier bunch of Klingons in my life. Hehehe ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nuts? LOL umm never!! Its just the dfinition of a TRUE FAN(atic)
    More power to you all I think and why let go of the kid inside, you jusy jus have a legit reason to play dress-ups. -)

    ReplyDelete
  8. And what fun we do have. I've been looking around this weekend (online of course) for a Star Trek costume of my own. May as well let the kid in me all the way out, eh?? We're planning on a recruitment drive with the release of the next Star Trek movie. Should be fun, especially if we all show up to the theatre in full costume and not just our Star Fleet polo shirts on, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup let the kid out and run amok.. why not? I say go for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Helen, I've been having fun shopping online for stuff. Of course, I can't afford a whole lot right now, but you should see my wish list! LOL! The shirt from Next Generation, tri-corder, phaser, communicator ... do this up right. If only I had the figure I'd go for the dress that Uhura wore in the Original series. Hehe ...

    Great, now I have the theme for an American toy store - Toys R Us - running through my head!!!
    "I don't wanna grow up,
    I'm a Toys Я Us kid.
    There's a million toys at Toys Я Us
    That I can play with.

    From bikes to trikes to video games
    It's the biggest toy store there is!
    I don't wanna growup, cuz, baby, if I did,
    I couldn't be a Toys Я Us kid!"

    (don't ask how I got those backward R's ... I googled the lyrics and that's what I found. Hehe. www.toysrus.com)

    ReplyDelete
  11. )= gniyalp saw i emag a rof woh to erugif ot dah I

    .etis siht ot og sdrawkcab etirw ot tnaw uoy fi~asiL

    http://www.writebackwards.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Helen, scary thing is I was able to read that!!!! I been able read and write backwards most of my life!! Dad taught me how to when I was a kid - he had to do it when he was in the Navy and believed it to be a skill everyone should possess. But I'm the only one of his three kids that was even interested in learning! LOL. Typing, now that's different, lol. I'm soooooo gonna check out that site!! Hehehe ... Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete