KUA

KUA

4/15/09

Britain's Got Talent ...

K, those of you who know me well know I don't watch American Idol ... but a news clip on The Today Show really caught my attention. On the British show, Britain's Got Talent, a 47 year old Scotswoman, called a frumpy virgin in the media really belted it out. She had me in absolute tears - her voice is so beautiful.

Susan has her own fansites at http://www.susan-boyle.com/ , http://www.susanboyle-bgt.co.uk/  and http://susan-boyle.britains-got-talent.co.uk/ . You can pretty much guarantee I'm going to be following this gal's singing career.

Read the article, then click on the links to enjoy this woman's amazing voice. Warning ... have tissues handy. I don't think I lasted 15 seconds into the video before bawling like a baby.

(article link)


April 15, 2009 8:30 AM PDT

The frumpy virgin who's slaying them on YouTube

She has the eyebrows of a Roman Emperor. She has the square shoulders of one of his centurions. And she walks like a bouncer who had one too many years in the NFL.

When Susan Boyle stepped onto the stage of "Britain's Got Talent" this past weekend, the audience laughed and the judges could barely stop their cheeks from bulging through a guffaw.

Here was a self-confessed, never-been-kissed, unemployed 47-year-old Scotswoman who, when she saw herself on television, said she was mortified that she "looked like a garage."

She told the judges she wanted to be a professional singer. Simon Cowell (yes, he) looked like he wanted to ask her to clean his car.

Susan Boyle has become an overnight sensation on YouTube.

(Credit: YouTube/"Britain's Got Talent")

She insisted she wanted to be like Elaine Page, a diminutive English singer who has starred in "Evita," amongst other musicals. The audience choked.

Then Susan Boyle began to sing.

Frankly, she hasn't stopped. More than 6 million people have already turned to YouTube to see what all the fuss is about. They're crying in Calcutta. They're bawling in Brussels.

Why? Because watching someone so far removed from anyone's physical conception of a star finally get an audience for her extraordinary voice is as moving an experience as you're likely to enjoy this year.

Here all the unrealized hopes and dreams that so many harbor till their death are laid bare in an operetta of just a few minutes.

Here is a woman who suffered mild brain damage at birth, who was laughed at in school, and who has probably been laughed at for most of her 47 years because she lived with her mother, because she lives with her cat, and because she doesn't look like friends are supposed to look.

Yes, she is now famous. She will get a recording contract. And, one suspects, she might not enjoy it all as others might.

But if, on watching the YouTube clip, you do not spontaneously burst into tears (I give you at the most 30 seconds into her performance), then you are either an alien creation of Ray Kurzweil or you should pop along to your local shrink for some considerable surgery.


Chris Matyszczyk is an award-winning creative director who advises major corporations on content creation and marketing. He brings an irreverent, sarcastic, and sometimes ironic voice to the tech world. He is a member of the CNET Blog Network and is not an employee of CNET.

12 comments:

  1. I watched the entire clip and I tell ya...it had Simon even smiling. Sad that people think you have to look like Jessica Simpson to sound so good. Look at Ella Fitzgerald and Ethyl Merman. They were a little overweight and sang like gang busters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill, I couldn't agree more. She will inspire a lot of folks (male and female alike) who thought they couldn't persue their dreams because of looks, weight, age, employment or lack of it, or whatever reason. She's what we all need right now. Hope ... in ourselves, our future.

    I've watched the video a dozen times at least and I still tear up when I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that someone takes away all the preconceived notions about looks and talent! YAY! She really does have an amazing voice and certainly will not be unemployed for long, or unkissed for that matter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leann, I love that, too ... that she's proven to the world that it really IS what's inside that is most beautiful. She's got my support!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She was just on the news.. Totally awesome !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We watched the show and were totally surprised that her voice didn't match our first impression, she was amazing! I hope she is very successful and proves that looks aren't everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen Jane, isn't she great?? First thing before class started today we got into a discussion about Susan. She's amazing isn't she? What's even more phenomenal is that it's only been a week since the airing and she's already pretty much got the entire world rooting for her!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helen Jo, I'll have to follow her on youtube - I don't have cable tv to be able to follow it otherwise. Young and old sure are rooting for her!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First thing I thought was omg take that Simon Cowell LOL.. She's fantastic!

    Love the empty nest signs up there.. I dream about that you know hehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Simon's "smitten school boy" look. And Amanda's little speech before voting? Man ... talk about a big ol' slice of humble pie. I'm lovin' it!!

    Ah ... the empty nest. Less stress ... time to myself. I can do what I want, when I want. No one to bitch at because they didn't do their share of the chores ... the only hair in the bathtub will be mine ... the toilet seat will be where I left it ... a lot less garbage to toss out in a week ... dishes won't stack up in the sink ... no one around to ask "mom can I borrow your car" ... the kitty won't have to hide because of chaos and confusion ... there won't be any chaos or confusion *unless* I open the front door and let it in! Ahhhhhhh ... dreams!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH ... I forgot ... there will be groceries in the cupboards when I go to cook ... the mail won't be left wherever - I'll actually SEE incoming mail ... the driveway will be all mine ... there'll actually be TP on the holder in the bathroom - hell, the holder will be used again ... the thermostat will be where I left it, and not set higher in the middle of the night ...

    Ahhhhh ... In a perfect world anyway ...

    ReplyDelete