And I'm off to a frozen start.
Since the gas smell wasn't going away I could guess it wasn't residual odor lingering from the water heater valve repair on Sunday.
I ended up calling the gas company back last night since the odor was now wafting into the upper level of the house.
Turns out that it's now the furnace's turn to die on me. A leak in the shut off valve, AND the gas man said "an electrical smell, like a motor about to burn out". Needless to say, he shut the furnace off.
I told Mom I was calling the gas company back, and I'd call her in the morning to report what they had said. She calls at midnight, curious as to what the gas man had to say. She wasn't thrilled with what I told her he'd said.
"Let me sleep on this", she says.
Early this morning she calls back. She and Daddy had talked about it over breakfast. She tells me "Daddy didn't beat me, holler, or go ballistic. He agrees that you need a new furnace. I'm on the way shortly to the furnace place to discuss our options."
Odd that she'd say that about Daddy. He's NEVER so much as raised a hand in anger, and rarely yells. He's never gone ballistic either. Why would she even say such a thing? Humor maybe? She's got a warped sense of humor after all.
Hell, he only spanked me once when I was a kid - a total of two spanks on my behind ... and he cried harder than I did!! It left such an impression with me that I tried my hardest to not break their rules again. Not after seeing Daddy cry like that because I had been bad!!
But I digress ... I have a new furnace coming!! I don't know when yet, Mom hasn't called me back.
I'm hoping they can expedite the installation, I've got only a small space heater here in my office to keep me from turning into an icicle!
And of course, the weather isn't helping. The temperature has dropped to about freezing. And will stay winter-like for the next few days. Yippee! Now would have been a good time to have those 50+ degree days that we had last week!
So, today no cleaning for me. I'm hiding in my almost toasty office. Decided today is a good day to sit at the computer and get more job applications in.
The messes will be there tomorrow (or whenever the new furnace comes) ...
Yay!! New furnace coming first thing tomorrow morning. I'll definitely be thawing out by noon tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteGood news....
ReplyDeleteThey've called to see if there'd be anyone home at 9 am to install my furnace. Heck ya, I'm here. Frozen to the bone, but I'm here waiting for them!! I'm not bright eyed, nor am I bushy-tailed right now ... more like an icicle with bed-head, but I'll wait 'til the house is toasty warm before jumping into a HOT shower. Thinking afterwards of jumping back into bed for a few hours ... sleeping in the floor in the office was not comfortable. Warm until I fell asleep under two blankets and two quilts, thanks to the space heater, but NOT comfy in the least.
ReplyDelete