KUA

KUA

2/23/08

Gremlin Strikes Again ...

As usual I spoke too soon. The Gremlin has returned!! And he seems to be making up for lost time!

Seems he's going after electronics this time. My cell phone had been acting strange for a few days. I could receive text messages, but not incoming calls. And the texts I was receiving where *not* from anyone I know!! Then people calling me would get a modem sound instead of ringing. It's better now, but it was a few strange days with the cell.

Then yesterday ... Computer froze on me. So I did a cold-boot to it. Got some weird warning I've never in my life seen ... nor has Single Son. It said something to the effect of "Warning! Back up all files on your hard drive immediately. Disk failure is eminent." I get the warning every time I turn the computer on now.

So here I sit on a computer that's going to crash - and soon. I feel sort of like I'm driving on sheet ice. I know a crash is going to happen. I just don't know *when*.

Luckily for me I have the hard drive from my old computer installed in this computer as a second hard drive. It's only a matter of having Single Son swap it for the "main" hard drive - the one that's on a crash course.

Geesh, this'll be two computers in less than six months that have met their death with me at the keyboard. Sorta gets me re-thinking that maybe web design isn't my *best* choice for majors?? I mean ... all I have to do is sit at a computer and the gremlin sneaks up on me and sabotages it somehow!!

Oh, like in class the other night. My teacher was sitting at her computer. I walked by. Her computer froze on her. My fault?? Probably not, but the timing just seemed a little too perfect to me to *not* take responsibility for it! LOL.

So if ya'll don't see or hear from me for a few days it's because the computer finally crashed and Single Son hasn't had the time yet to swap over the other hard drive to replace the dead one.


10 comments:

  1. Yikes - I was almost afraid to keep reading your blog.....even with so many miles between us ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Em ... I seem to only effect computers that I'm close to - within touching range. You're safe!! LOL! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found that wearing wool can affect a computer too. Static electricity will cause havoc on a compuetr.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phil, thanks ... I don't own but one wool article of clothing, and that I seldom wear. But it's something that I'll definitely remember!! Thanks!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you picked up the nasty virus my laptop had, it kept trying to boot then going to a blue screen then the warning, etc. in a big loop. That's why I bought my girls a MAC, it's not programmed to integrate viruses into it's hard drive. It can't understand the code. I never worry about the girls surfing the web now. Hope your luck changes soon. Sounds like you have as much luck with computers as I do my car.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kitty, not sure what it is, other than weird!! LOL! Did a scan, didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Definitely not ruling out a virus - anything is possible. I didn't experience any loop like you're describing. Computer froze on me (which happens occasionally with this older computer). Had to do a cold boot to it. It starts up pretty much like it used to before, except for that *Warning* I now get. Never got a blue screen even once. It's weird, and seems to have Single Son pretty perplexed as to what's going on (he's the resident computer geek).

    Now cars ... that's where Single Son has all the bad luck!! And with wild animals ... but that's another blog! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cell phone thing is way weird lol. Only time have known anything similar is with the kids phones and they have gotten them wet somehow, but if yours is working fine now then am thinking the service provider may have something to do with that LOL.

    Ooooo *puts hand up* my computer did the same message to me lol. I loaded Vista and after a day or so I got that message. I had two drives connected. The error message was coming up for the spare drive. I didnt have much on there so got what I wanted and disabled it, it was an old drive and had been through a lot of Helens reformatting and experimentations so made sense it may have decided it didnt wanna play no more. As soon as I disabled it the message stopped.
    I actually like Vista because it finds problems and tells you how to fix them ~ didnt see it on any other operating system but Microsoft may have done updated diagnostic tools for all o/s.
    Hope you can sort it out easily and your weekend is a good one!! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helen, I'm still runnng Windows XP ... I get to play with Vista at the college. I'm still undecided if I want it or not when I get a new computer. geesh, I hope it's not the *other* hard drive that's causing the warning to appear! That's the important hard drive, the one that has *all* of my files on it!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exactly what did they DO TO YOU during that surgery??? Hmmm....did they toss in a couple of MAGNETS or something???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leann, that's a possibility!! It'd have to be one of my previous surgeries, though ... this has been going on for quite a while now!! LOL! Thanks for the laugh! Been offline for the last 28 (LONG) hours because of switch-over blues. Hopefully I'm back now! LOL ... HUGS!

    ReplyDelete