KUA

KUA

5/9/08

Friday Five

This week's Friday Five theme is: College Days. Good theme for me as this is my third time back in college. Twice dropped out, back one last time to finally get that degree!!

1) Back in the late 70s when I first started college I went to the local community college. At that time my father worked as a civil engineer. Anyway ... the college's parking lot was (is) a nightmare. My class ended at 9 PM but I wasn't home until well after 10 thanks to losing my car in that nightmare of a parking lot. When I got home Dad asked how I liked my first day of college. I swore up and down (literally) at the "moron who designed that blankety-blank parking lot." Dad offers me his hand to shake, "I'm that blankety-blank moron. Pleased to meet you". He's never let me forget it, either!! I just started back at that very same college - different campus. His first words when he heard I was back at OCC were "don't worry, I didn't design that parking lot". Oy!!

2) Also during my first college days ... I was one of the first students in my computer programming class (BASIC language - ah, the good ol' days!!) to actually own a *home computer*. Well, my then boyfriend (later husband) owned it, but I had access to it. LOL. Part of my final exam was to have Exie-poo bring in the computer and do a "Live Demonstration* of a rather simple program I had written. Only problem is, he never showed up! He claims he forgot about needing to bring the computer in. I ended up getting an Incomplete in that class. Grrrrrrrr.

3) One of the classes I took in the 70s was Michigan History. Although I'd lived in Michigan all my life, it wasn't until this class I really studied local history. I was hooked! I really took an interest in local lore that's lasted all these years.

I dropped out of college shortly after that ... until the late 80s when I thought I'd get back to earning that degree. This second time was uneventful. Nothing stands out. My third attempt at getting my degree started two years ago. Originally I wanted to persue a degree in Architecture, but with the housing starts and forecasts the way they are, I decided to change degrees back to my original computer degree from the 70s. Web Design is where I'm headed now. Anyway ...

4) Now that I'm older and at this time sporting an umbilical hernia I used a wheeled backpack to lug my books around. Stashing it under the stairs as usual I headed out to the smoking area between my two classes that day. Next thing I know, there's campus security dashing by - definitely in a hurry. Ten or so minutes later one of them comes up to the smoking area to ask about a bookbag left under the stairs. Said someone alerted them as to a suspicious package left abandoned. Yup, it was my bookbag on wheels.

5) Photoshop class. The teacher was awesome!! We spent a lot of time after class just talking. It was she who hinted I switch my degree from web design over to something to do with digital media. Much better suited for me really. I'm so not a programmer! I've yet to be able to talk to my advisor about switching over. Stay tuned. LOL.

There's been other things that stand out ... instructors that have influenced me, friendships made and lost ... even a love interest gone bad. But these are the five that stand out the most.



16 comments:

  1. Beautiful answers and excellent blog. I like them. Thanks for sharing. For Friday 5 this week for My college days memories I have posted my blog at -http://tinyurl.com/55du6d -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep...I went to college 3 times as well. Now I work at one! If you can't graduate with 'em - Join 'em!

    I'm just not a book person. I can read the same paragraph over and over again and have it mean nothing. I'm good at show and tell. Just show me how to do it and let me go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I literally laughed out loud. That was great! I hope you find what you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jayaramanms, thanks for stopping by!! I read your blog. Great answers. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill, I'm the same way - I'm a hands-on learner! Don't give me the textbook, but give me something I can interact with!

    I tried applying at the college. The only positions they're hiring for are for students currently enrolled for the term. Since I have the summer off (didn't get a summer grant - drats), I don't qualify for employment. Grrrrrr.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. crkincalifornia, thanks. I'm still looking for what it is I want. Think I figure it out only to find out it wasn't really for me. LOL! Maybe I'll never figure it out, but by golly I sure have fun in the process. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't go to college but hopefully I'm still learning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great answers! I was at a bus station one time when someone left their book bag...we had the pleasure of sitting on a curb several blocks away for 3 hours waiting on Home Land Security! Yehaw!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to college off and on for years. When third child was born thought I was done with college. You know the rest =)

    YOU CAN DO IT...........YES YOU CAN =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Helen, don't need college to learn things.Some of the wisest folks I know never set foot inside on a college campus. One of them was my grandmother ... yet she intentionally set out to learn at least one new thing every day. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jacklyn, thanks. The parking lot incident still makes us laugh. I had to really censor that comment. I sure sounded like a sailor that day! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lorasprouts, three hours? Geesh!! But I guess they were being thorough, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cassie, you have no idea how many times you've inspired me to stick with this when I've wanted to say forget it!! Hugs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never went to college either and I have nothing but admiration for you!! Hugs =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done! Very entertaining answers. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete