KUA

KUA

1/18/08

Friday Five

This week's theme THE TIMES OF MY LIFE was provided by Lisa.

What are the five events of your life that have had the biggest impact on you . . . whether it was personal and/or public event? Elaborate as much or as little as you want!


1. Of course, the birth of my kids ... I really don't need to elaborate - every mother on the face of this Earth knows how the birth(s) of our child(ren) have impacted us. The wonder and miracle of a life you created. The unconditional love felt. Even the downs of parenting; the trials and tribulations, the sacrifices, the tears cried late at night. It's been a long journey with its ups and downs and I wouldn't have traded a single second of the last 28 years of parenting.

2. The tragic and sudden loss of my brother through suicide. I learned many things about myself after his death. That life is fragile, and to never let an opportunity pass to tell the ones you love that you love them ... that there is no guarantee there will be a tomorrow. I learned to deal with the immense pain of loss, and to go on with my life. He's been the source of a lot of my motivation, even 14 years after his death.

3. Being an abused wife. Although for me this isn't a bad thing (now anyway). It taught me a lot about courage, and determination and the desire to *survive* even the worst of circumstances. It taught me to speak up, to fight for MY rights and those of my children. I learned respect
... for myself mostly ... and gained back my self esteem  in the aftermath. I learned more about myself and who I really am, despite his efforts to make me conform to what his ideas of a wife were. He tried miserably to mold me ... but he never touched the *me* that laid deep within myself.

4. My health. I came close to dying a few years ago from a gall bladder attack. That was to be the beginning of a lot of changes I would make. To *do* the things I want to do, to enjoy life to it's fullest. Life's too short to not find pleasure in the things around you. I'd been laxed lately ... starting to take even the simplest of things for granted again. Enter the hernia from hell (LOL) and diabetes. It's actually proven to be a *good* thing to happen in my life. I'm re-learning to appreciate everything once again ... and most importantly, making those changes in my lifestyle that will assure I'll be around for a long time to enjoy the people and things I love so much.

5. The birth of my grandson. As much as I love my children, grandchildren bring with them a whole new experience. I'm older now, and can finally appreciate seeing the world through the eyes of a child. The wonder, the amazement, as he learns about his world. Actually having the time (since I'm not his full-time caregiver like I was with my own kids) to spend with him and to really stop and examine the things around us. Watching as he grows from a baby to a toddler, soon to that pre-schooler age. The skills he's learning. The pride when he masters a new skill. It's amazing how much one little boy has changed how I look at things with renewed curiosity.



If you would like to participate in the Friday 5:

Copy the questions and post your answers to your blog,

Leave a comment on the page at
The Friday Five @ 360
or The Friday Five @ Multiply to let others know your post is up so they can visit your blog..

You can participate at either page or both, the choice is yours.

Fun, easy, and no time limit.


Let's Play !!

10 comments:

  1. Wow! Those put things in perspective. Thanks for being brave enough to share. I needed that. Hugs to you for being who you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good - enjoyed reading this - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspiring answers. You know when you talked about seeing things through the eyes of a child my Dad took my Son and I to Disney World for my son's 11th birthday. I had been many times because my Mother's sister lived about 20 minutes away from there. Even thought I had seen it many times it was a totally different experience seeing it through the eyes of a child. You make me think of my saying that I come up with about life. Life is like a rose you have to have the thorns to have the beautiful rose. If you are always concentrating on the thorns you miss the beauty of the rose. I am sorry for the loss of your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so good that you've been able to gain something positive from all of these things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate the way you stress "...never let an opportunity pass to tell the ones you love that you love them..." So important.
    Thanks for commenting on mine =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of my parents have told me the same thing about grandkids. They say it's just a completely different kind of love.....I hope I have grandkids some day....Not anytime soon, lol, but someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just spoke with my four year old grand daughter this morning. I know what you mean. Great answers, and thanks for the questions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some big things! Great list!

    ReplyDelete