So I stopped by the condo to pick up the folks and then we went to Brother Deere's house for Father's Day dinner. Had a good time. Mom was civil, then again she usually is when Brother Deere is around. We even laughed and joked around quite a bit.
This is my Dad. He's waiting for me to put down my camera so he can dig into his cake.
This is my Dad. He's waiting for me to put down my camera so he can dig into his cake.

This was my dinner ... look at the size of those scallops!! A whole pound of scallops, just for me. LOL. The rest of the family dined on roast beef. Long story on why I got seafood and not roast, LOL. But I'm glad I had the scallops. It was the best meal I've had since ... well, since the last time Brother Deer cooked.
Brother Deere started hinting that after he cleaned up he was going to have a cold beer and then head off to bed. Our clue that he wanted us to leave. Perfect timing, too, as we could see storm clouds rolling in off in the distance. I dropped my folks off at the condo and headed home. The weather held off until I got home.
As I was getting out of the car in the dark, I heard one of the neighbors call me by name. He and Married Son have been friends for 14 years. He lives alone in the house he grew up in while his mother prepares it for rental. So ... I hear "D" yelling for me to come over to the house. "I just got home", he says, "and found a tree fell on the house. I can't get ahold of my mom and I don't know what to do". So ... about all I could do was go with him into the house and check out the damages. This is the bedroom he's occupying ...

Luckily he wasn't home at the time. Had he been, I know "D" would have freaked out. Married Son just happened to text message me while I was over taking pictures of the house. I told him what was up - or more exactly what had fallen down. He came right over and helped "D" throw a tarp on the roof. Perfect timing, too, as it had started to pour. The rain didn't last long. It stopped just about the time they were done covering the huge hole. Figures, LOL.
So, that was Father's Day, 2008.

So, that was Father's Day, 2008.


Sounds like an eventful day, the scallops look good - we had roast beef as my daughter was craving a roast dinner after her usual student meals!
ReplyDeleteOmgosh, how did u get the scallops? I need to know so I can get he hook up at my family dinners!lol!!!! YUMMY!!! ;0) You dinner plate looked gr8!
ReplyDeleteThats to bad about the damage. I hope they get it fixed soon! Good thing your son came over in the knick of time to put the tarp on it.
HUgZ!!
HelenJo, sounds like your daughter is really glad to be home and having some good ol' home cooked meals for a change! Hugs!
ReplyDeleteAngie, what's funny about the whole thing is that I can (and do) eat roast beef. Brother Deere is confused obviously and I'm not gonna point it out to him!. Not if I get scallops in the process, LOL. Years ago my jaw was broken and teeth dislodged. To this day I find it hard to eat *steak* and certain other foods. He's pretty good at catering to individual's needs, and has no qualms about preparing a varied menu. He was a chef for years before changing to the career he has now.
ReplyDeleteNo one was over at the neighbors to access the damage today. They were supposed to have the house ready for July 1st occupancy, they even have a rental contract signed and the tenant anticipating moving in. There's no way with that amount of damage it'll be ready by then. Not unless they hire Superman for repairs. Yeah, Married Son is good for helping out friends and family. He even delayed his plans for the evening until "D"s house was situated for the night. Did a pretty good job about it, too. We had gusts of high winds today and the tarp is still exactly where they laid it.
Your dinner looked yummy and so did your dads cake LOL
ReplyDeleteThe neighbours house not so good!
I guess your family doesnt think its weird for you to photograph your food either huh? LOL
LOL!!!! Mom did sort of look at me like I was crazy when I photographed my dinner! Told her I was going to put the picture in my blog. Dad just laughed, he's used to me taking pictures of things that normal people consider odd. Brother Deere just rolled his eyes.
ReplyDeleteThe cake was delish. Funny story behind that cake. My Aunt Silly brought it over to Brother Deere's house back at Christmas. We had more than enough desserts, so he put it in the freezer. He thawed it out for Father's Day. It was still moist, hadn't dried out at all in the six months it was frozen!! He threatened to re-freeze what was left so we can finish it on Dad's Birthday on the 4th of July! And I don't doubt that's just what he did, either. He and Mom have this on-going *cheap* fight, who can out cheap who. It's a hoot.
Yeah, pretty sad about the neighbor's house. I'm just glad it was only a branch (huge branch about a foot across, but not the whole tree) that fell on the house. Had it been the whole tree, and had "D" not left when he did, he could have been seriously injured if not worse. Houses can be repaired ...
Thats true houses can be repaired.
ReplyDeleteOh Oh Oh Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no no no no they have no idea what 'cheap' is..
Seriously LOL.. When we used to visit my mother in law and she would make tea it always tasted terrible and I always blamed the low fat low everything milk..but one day I found out why. She could (or thought she could ) make 4 cups of tea from one itty bitty tea bag ( Mark always says she would let them dry and use them again too ) lolololol... I stopped drinking tea there!!
I know you guys have the big tea bags for making jugs of iced tea and stuf but no, no, no, no we dont sell them these were just a normal single tea cup bag ROFL!!
LOL, k, there's no way my family could compete with your mother in law on cheap!! You win hands down. LOL!
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of tea, I had to laugh. Brother Deere made Mom a cup of tea to go with her dessert. He kept staring at her, finally asking "how do you like your tea, Mother". She said she loved it. As straight faced as he could he tells her "Good. I peed in it". I thought Dad was going to have another laughter induced heart attack.
I've used those huge bags of tea before to make sun tea. Didn't like it much so I stick with the regular sized tea bags.
Well I'll tell her she won! LMAO Hmm nah I wont!!
ReplyDeleteOmg I woulda died! My mom would have had kittens if any of us said anything like that to herlololol
Helen, that's about typical for the way Brother Deere and Mom interact. Of course he can get away with it, he's THE favorite child (where I'm the black sheep). I swear one day I'll have to record one of their *sessions* and post it. It's a hoot.
ReplyDeleteI thought I was mean but I can only make two cups of tea from one tea bag, Lol. My dad and brother make their own when they visit 'cause I like it weak!
ReplyDeleteI'm a black sheep too!
Helen, I like weak tea, too. Mom has to have hers strong, so I pass on making her tea. I never seem to get it right for her. LOL. What's funny is I like my coffee strong, where Dad likes his rather on the weak side. He's learned to make the coffee when I'm over there watching him! LOL!
ReplyDeleteYippeee a home movie!! LOL.
ReplyDeleteHelen, LOL! Yeah, home video. Wonder if I can get 'em to stop cussing at each other long enough for a clip? LMAO! Nah ... that's no fun. LOL
ReplyDelete