KUA

KUA

6/13/08

Friday Five

Quoting our Friday Five moderator ... "Since this is Friday the 13th, which has been noted to be full of 'superstition', I thought I would play on that...

Superstition: old wives tale, folklore, bizarre beliefs, taboos, omens, good/bad luck.

Now, let's compare 5 superstitions that you believe in!? If you are not the superstitious type ... maybe you could name 5 of the oddest, funniest or otherwise interesting superstitions you have heard of!"

Click here for the Friday Five Multiply group.

1) When giving a knife as a gift always tape a silver coin to the blade. Not doing so will result in the relationship of the gift giver and recipient being severed.

2) Washing your car will bring rain.

3) It's bad luck to leave a house or building from a door different than the one you came in from.

4) Trim the wicks of new candles as soon as you get them. Bad luck will fall on the household if they remain untrimmed.

5) Always speak nicely of your car when you're within *hearing* range. Talking bad about it will only result in the car breaking down. Also, name your car and call it by name or "she" will feel ignored and unloved and operate badly (From my Grandmother who always talked nice about Esmerelda - the name she always gave her cars).


36 comments:

  1. I've heard of the second one, and usually it's right. If it's not, there's always that clause about some birds waiting to poop on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Dawn!! As it is I park my car under a tree. The birds wait until I've washed it before using it for target practice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I believe, I believe!!! #5

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kwika, and never never never mention buying a new car in front of your car. Guaranteed to cause problems the likes of which you've never seen before! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, there are several lhere that I have never heard before...and I come from pretty superstitius stock...LOL Number 2, however, I have heard, but in different contexts like "water your yard and it will rain"..apparently the rain just waits for us to do some kind of work and then makes it look silly by doing it over...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know I used to cuss at ours now and then and threaten to have it hauled away and it would quit acting out - for a little while anyway! I also noticed that when you bring a replacement for something into the house the old thing that isn't worth beans anymore suddenly stops doing whatever it was doing to put it on the trash it list- example- the faucets in our bathroom were dripping and even repairs didn't seem to fix them- they are twenty years old and worn out - so hubby brought home two new ones and wouldn't you know it they stopped misbehaving! Haven't dripped since- the new faucets are still waiting to be installed LOL~! The car I cursed was called "The Stinkin' Lincoln" it was given the name due to milk leaking in the trunk once and giving off an awful stench of sour milk until we could get it home and clean it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is another one- if you lose something and replace it with a new one - you will most often than not find the one you lost! That has happened to me time and again! A Driver's license, a trimmer- etc!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All are new to me... great list... Think I might have heard the car wash one... not sure... Made me chuckle... great list... It was fun this week!!!
    http://gee0264.multiply.com/journal/item/113/Very_Superstitious

    ReplyDelete
  9. #5 - I'm not sure about cars, but I'm certain musical instruments have souls. In fact, now that I think of it, I should have blogged it: treat your instrument with the same care and attention you would treat your lover, and when it can no longer be played or repaired, consider its feelings when deciding what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hadn't heard of 1,3 and 4. #2 is totally true, Murphy's Law I think. #5 made my smile. I remember lots of people doing that when I was young. Great list LCM! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vickie, or wasting all that water in the process!!! I gave up watering my yard years ago for this very reason. Unless we really, really need rain ... then we water away! Good time to paint the house, too. Never fails on that one either!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely positively if I wash my car it will rain.....in fact last time it started raining WHILE I was washing my car. And I have heard about the coming and going by the same door but they don't like it when a person goes out the in door at the market.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lowflyingqueen, that's true!! I think they're afraid of replacement and put their best behavior to save 'em from certain death in the trash bin.

    Stinkin' Lincoln, that's funny!!

    I hate when the missing items show up after they've been replaced. Nothing like having to go replace it and then return the new item once it's been found again. Haven't had the misfortune of misplacing my license yet. Now I'll be extra careful to make sure I know it's where-abouts! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gee, thanks. It was actually a rather Friday Five for me to write. We get so comfortable in our routines that we actually forget what's normal and what's superstition!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sharksfan, we had a neighbor growing up that taught us numbers one and four. She was soooo superstitious about the door one that she only left her own house through the side door, never the front or sliding door. Not even to go to her backyard.

    My dad's superstitious about musical instruments, too. He's got a sax he's had since he was young (it only needs to be re-corked, other than that it's in great shape). He swears if he were to get rid of it he would be dead within a day. Hasn't been able to play it in ten years because of a a stroke, but so far he's been successful in persuading my mother to not get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Em, LOL!!! I've been known to wait to wash my car in a downpour! Since the neighbors already think (know) we're nuts around here, why not?? LOL!

    Okay, there's certain exceptions to the door superstition.Although if I ever see someone going out the in door I'll suspect they're extremely superstitious! LMAO!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My mum used to spout all these things off all the time I'm sure thats why I have so many issues.
    One that stuck with me was if two knives are crossed a fight will ensue in the house... I used to always uncross them if they were in the sink crossed LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yipes!! Just be grateful you didn't have any swords on display like we did when I was married to Bubba ... oh wait ... the way the ex and I fought - it's all becoming clear now!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll have to check with mommy dearest if swords have the same meaning as knives LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL, I hope they don't!! But it would explain sooooo much if they did, lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hadn't heard of these, I was always taught if you squashed a spider it would rain and if you washed your car the birds would surely get it! I only ever felt bad when I left my old car at the dealership when I was leaving in my new car but I have never talked to it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kitty, spiders bring rain, too!! Heaven help you squish a spider while you're washing the car, LMAO!! And yes, I've done it. Rained for a few days!

    I'll be getting a new vehicle within the next week or so. I'm terrified to even think about it when I'm driving the car. Even though I'll be keeping the car I still fear it'll go on strike if it knows it's not going to be the only vehicle in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great list! I know it rains every time we wash the car!

    ReplyDelete
  24. lorasprouls, I'm expecting downpours this week. I'll be washing my car and the van I'm about to take over. Thought since I'll have the hose out I'll wash my son's girlfriends car, too. Expect lots of rain in the area. And yes, I'll take full blame for it. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I learned that this week! I just got it washed today {as one couldn't tell if it was grey or tan} and I parked it away from the trees. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  26. Victorious, I'd love to have that option. Sadly I live on a small city lot, the neighbor's tree hangs over half my driveway! LOL! The nice thing about a tiny lot, though, is that same tree offers shade for the majority of my front yard.

    Of course, with my luck, if I lived up where you do I'd never find a bird-free zone to park in. I'd get the fly-by bombings. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cool list! no wonder I go so through many trucks, I always thought it was just the lack of toughness, but now if it's what I've called them when I've had to change a flat tire in a blinding rainstorm or a snowstorm...well, then it's my fault!

    ReplyDelete
  28. DraconianIdeals, LOL! Grandpa was a truck driver. He taught Grandma that if you treat the car like a lady then "she'll" treat you well. I like to think it's true, one of my mechanics can't figure out why my car is still running! Told me "she" should have died a year or so ago. But here she is, always faithful, if not sometimes unpredictable (and high maintenance to boot). Teehee ...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great list. All new informations for me.Thank you for sharing your thoughts. People say we should not have superstitions which are wrong, but I believe it strongly. Thanks for sharing.My list is in - http://jayaramanms.multiply.com/journal/item/198. Please see

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jayaramanms, we could open a whole debate about the right or wrong of superstitions, LOL!!! I agree, I believe in them, too. I also think that having superstitions are healthy for a person, such as the way that having certain rituals one does are (religious, family tradition, etc). Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  31. oh my gosh I LOVED number 5! I spontaneously named my car as soon as I got it and have always sensed a presence. I was blaming chitty chitty bang bang for this but maybe it's older than that?
    great list

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm still very superstitious, my cars always had names. My Dad won't accept a razor or any kind of blade without giving a penny in exchange because the superstition is that it will cut the relationship between you! Also if you give a bag or purse as a gift you should always put a penny in it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. CRK, I guess it goes back long before Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (one of my all time faves by the way) ... my grandfather was a truck driver and his father was, too ... they named all of their vehicles, personal and work vehicles "Bessie". To hear the story the way my grandmother used to tell it - if you treat a vehicle like a lady *she* will give you years of reliable service. If you don't, then watch out! She had many stories to back up her *theories*. LOL. Grandma would actually "stroke" the dashboard of some of her more temperamental vehicles and say "Now Esmerelda, you're a good girl. You and I have many adventures today and we're going to have fun, aren't we"? Worked every time.

    In honor of my Grandmother I have named every car I've ever owned "Esmerelda".

    ReplyDelete
  34. Helen, the penny in the purse superstition is a new one for me. Another one that I debated using for my list was for travelers ... if you loan something to your loved one before they travel (a favorite personal item of yours) they will have a safe journey and will come back from their travels to return your item to you.

    ReplyDelete
  35. The car one probably is older than motor vehicles because the same belief has been applied to ships too.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Tmess, very true!! And it was (still is) bad luck to change the name of a ship!!
    I'm sure, too, that pilots feel the same way about their airplanes. Treat her like a lady ...

    ReplyDelete